Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What can I do to get used to upgrades?

I have been shooting 3 Gun for about a year and half now. I have been using a stock Bushmaster and was starting to get pretty good with it. Just this week I had my gunsmith install a Rock River 2 stage, tune it to 3.5lbs and added a PRI MSTN comp. I went to the range today to re-zero and got her dialed in. I didn't bring a whole lot of ammo, only 1 magazine. It only took 9 rounds to zero, so with the remaining 21 rounds I set up a target at 15 yards to see how the comp would help my double taps. It did not. Before the upgrades, I could throw 2 rounds as fast as my finger could pull and they'd hit about an inch apart. Today, first shot would hit the mark with the 2nd round 3 to 4 inches low.

My questions to you, are there drills or something I can practice to speed up my the learning curve for these upgrades? Or is it simply shooting more and more and let the timing come?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Jarod

Seriously, just get some range time with it. It could actually just be anxiety. You don't know how the car is really gonna drive till you get the tires warm and really get the rubber to the road. I think the same works for a gun. Until you get a few rounds down range, run a few drills with it, and maybe get a lot of dry fire practice with that new trigger then your really not going to be able to tell.

Your idea that you would get used to the gun after the changes in 21 rounds may be too high. You went to the range to sight in and took the rounds you would need. You would have never gone to the range with only 21 rounds to practice.

When you go to practice take 100 rounds or more. Anytime you adjust much of anything about the gun it is going to handle differently and I think by the time you fire 100 rounds through it you will be in a better position to judge whether or not the upgrade was effective for you.

Also your trigger finger has developed muscle memory for the heavier trigger, why's that important? Your probably pulling harder on the trigger then you need, and that extra momentum needs somewhere to go, and most likely its making you "pull" the rifle down. Which could easily explain the 3 inch drop.

Edited by DocMedic

• 1 month later...