Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tools! What's the Problem, Anyway?

rhino

Am I correct in the assumption that the prohibition on using a prop to clear a jam is going away? If so, then I can bash my gun on a wall to free a jam, but I can't use a Leatherman to pull a stuck case. OK by me as long as I know what is expected.

Interesting occurance a couple years ago, had a stuck case in an AR at a major 3-Gun, Droped the mag, Held bolt open and Slammed gun butt first onto the ground. Case popped out and away we went. Question is, would that have constituted using a prop? or a tool? or would it be covered at all? I assume it would be OK under the new rules, but had I used a small screw driver to pry the case while the gun remained pointed downrange rather than skywards would be a no-no. I assume again that the prohibition on tools applies across all three platforms.

I believe this is in keeping with the thread.

I believe you are correct Jim. Not that I'm thrilled with this change nor do I see a need for it. As an RO, I can tell when a shooter needs to be stopped. The rule book cannot define every instance that I have seen. That is why we HAVE ROs.

I'm at a loss how it's a "safety issue" to use a "tool," but it's not a problem to whack your gun on a prop wall to clear a malfunction. The term "arbitrary and capricious" comes to mind. Hey, someday our rule book will be just like IDPA's! :angry:

Looks like I'm going to have to be creative the next time I overinsert a magazine. I can fix that easily with my multitool, but it's going to be fun trying to do it with a prop wall or barrel or a shooting box. :rolleyes:

WOO HOO! Just got the latest Front Sight today. The article in the Safety Area on the new rules is interesting. Did the author have anyone in paritcular in mind [sneeze] ERIK! [/sneeze] when he wrote "for heaven's sake don't pull out a little screwdriver to re-attach a rear sight that fell out" or is this a more common problem than I previously thought?

Did the author have anyone in paritcular in mind [sneeze] ERIK! [/sneeze] when he wrote "for heaven's sake don't pull out a little screwdriver to re-attach a rear sight that fell out" or is this a more common problem than I previously thought?

I'm pretty sure that's the Erik Warren Bo-Mar Memorial Rule..... :lol::lol: