Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice on Belt set-up for 3 Gun

swedge58

Hello All. Im new to the 3 gun matches and slowly getting my equipment for 3 gun competition. I was wondering what kind of belt set-up you guys use. I am looking for holster type, mag holders, shotshell caddys etc. etc. Is there a brand out there that covers all of my needs? I have the holster that came with my XDM is this something I could use? How many extra mags should you carry for pistol and AR and how many shotgun shells do you guys carry during competition. Any info would be great.

Remember.. you can change your gear every stage if you wanted too.. so you can configure for a stage.. no need to carry too much all the time

I use a wilderness belt, blade tech pouches and DOH holster.

Pistol mags.. almost always 1 extra is enough.. but watch the matches you go to.. I always carry one more than i need.. so minimum 3.

I used cinched mags for the AR, so double 30.. and one extra way in the back.. I never need it

Edited by D.Hayden

I’m also running an XDM. Starting out I would just get a good instructors belt, run the XD gear holster and dual mag pouch, a mag pouch to hold a single AR mag (or your back pocket) and get a couple shell caddies. You will learn a lot at your first couple matches that will significantly influence what gear you want to move forward with.

After getting a couple local matches under my belt here’s what I ended up with. CR Speed belt, Blade Tech DOH holster, (2) Comp-Tac single mag holders, (1) Blade Tech AR mag holder and (4) 6 round California Competition Works shell caddies. Once you’ve figure out what you want, keep an eye on the classifieds. Guys are often trying new gear and will sell their used.

I pretty much use the same set-up that I use for Limited Div (USPSA pistol div): COM double belt (like the CR Speed but a little better IMO), COM dropped offset holster, two or three 771 mag pouches; but then add a Blade-Tech AR mag pouch at 8 o'clock and two to four CCW 6 rnd shot shell caddies across the front depending on the stage. I swapped out the metal spring clips for Tek-locks on the CCW caddies to make it easier to put them on and off. Sometimes depending on the stage I'll wear an arm band shell holder. My set-up works OK, but not as versatile as the guys using the Safariland ELS system belt and attachments.

I have 1 belt set up that I use for limited, L10, production and 3 gun. I keep ot set up exactly the same way, wether it is a pistol match, shotgun match, or a 3 gun match.

I use a double alpha belt, comptac belt holstet, 4 ready tactical mag pouches, a bladetech mag pouch w/ techlock for my AR mag ( i have a ready tactical ar mag pouch available if i need to carry a 2nd mag) and 5 Man Mountain shell caddies. I carry 4 spare 6 round caddies in case there is a high round count stage, and I also have a Load Two belt that holds 28 rounds for shotgun only stages,

My set up has evolved as I finally learned / gained confidence in weak hand reloads. I used to use a work belt from Home Depot that held 4 6 round caddies. It fit arround my waist, and the caddies fit in between my holster and mag pouches and over my main belt. I liked this set up because the 6 round caddies and my tactical tummy made it uncomfortable to bend over. It is not an issue with the 4 round caddies. I adopted my current set up of leaving the belt always the same after attending a class put on by the Noveske shooting Team.

Dont buy anything before your first match. You might not love it. See what the guys who have shot a few matches are using. If you have the money, the ELS system is the way to go. You can add and take off attachments to fit the stage. It's a lot of money, but you only buy it once.