Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Great Lakes Regional

I just sent off my app for the Great Lakes Regional. This is my 1st IDPA regional match ever.

What can I expect as far as shooting challenges are concerned ? Weather ? Location ?

Any info would be appreciated. Thank You !!!

Edited by Chuck D

Munger has 5 bays that shoot into a central berm/hill. The terrain in dirt/gravel/swamp and most of the bays are in the shade of mature hardwoods. Mosquitos can be an issue at times, but nothing out of the ordinary for MI. Wear Gore-Tex shoes if it has rained prior to the match. The bays are dry, but getting to them can be a challenge at times. :lol:

You will shoot 5 stages before lunch and then 5 stages after lunch. There will be two COF set up in each bay and they will be switched over while the competitors are eating. The match is top notch and so are the staff. Gary and Dave always put on a great IDPA match that is straight forward and fun. They "get it". I have never had an issue with any of the stages, staff, rules, etc. I know that can be a concern when traveling for IDPA matches. You are never really sure what you might get when you get to the match. <_< There is usually a standards stage of some sort, so be sure to practice so weak hand shooting. There are many elements to each COF that offer challenges to upper class shooters while not overwhelming new shooters. I highly recommend this match as competitors first "major".

Also, DO NOT get your wife out of bed at 3:30am and bring her with you. It will be a VERY long day for both of you while she expresses her concerns regarding bugs, the sun, the shade, the temperature, why you didn't tell her to not wear "cute strappy sandals" and a spaghetti strapped tank top to the range, the lack of healthy food at lunch, the volume and frequency of gunfire. You may also be forced to answer the following questions: "Why are your glasses so much cooler than mine?" "Why do I have to wear these stupid ear things? They make my ears sweaty." These glasses hurt my ears. Can I take them off?" "Why do they make all this safety stuff so ugly? What are girls supposed to wear?" My wife doesn't come to matches with me anymore... :blush:

Range improvements have pretty much solved the swampy conditions. Don't forget the chrony and equipment checks. Make sure you're legal to the rule book. I'm watching :ph34r:

...that doesn't mean you'll give me a hard time over my grip force adapter and it's legality in SSP will you ? :sight:

Seriously, thanks for the info. Will do. ;)

Munger has 5 bays that shoot into a central berm/hill. The terrain in dirt/gravel/swamp and most of the bays are in the shade of mature hardwoods. Mosquitos can be an issue at times, but nothing out of the ordinary for MI. Wear Gore-Tex shoes if it has rained prior to the match. The bays are dry, but getting to them can be a challenge at times. :lol:

You will shoot 5 stages before lunch and then 5 stages after lunch. There will be two COF set up in each bay and they will be switched over while the competitors are eating. The match is top notch and so are the staff. Gary and Dave always put on a great IDPA match that is straight forward and fun. They "get it". I have never had an issue with any of the stages, staff, rules, etc. I know that can be a concern when traveling for IDPA matches. You are never really sure what you might get when you get to the match. <_< There is usually a standards stage of some sort, so be sure to practice so weak hand shooting. There are many elements to each COF that offer challenges to upper class shooters while not overwhelming new shooters. I highly recommend this match as competitors first "major".

Also, DO NOT get your wife out of bed at 3:30am and bring her with you. It will be a VERY long day for both of you while she expresses her concerns regarding bugs, the sun, the shade, the temperature, why you didn't tell her to not wear "cute strappy sandals" and a spaghetti strapped tank top to the range, the lack of healthy food at lunch, the volume and frequency of gunfire. You may also be forced to answer the following questions: "Why are your glasses so much cooler than mine?" "Why do I have to wear these stupid ear things? They make my ears sweaty." These glasses hurt my ears. Can I take them off?" "Why do they make all this safety stuff so ugly? What are girls supposed to wear?" My wife doesn't come to matches with me anymore... :blush:

Thanks for the heads up...especially the part about the wife. :roflol:

Lol I shot on the squad with the first and second of your replying members there (or not I can't remember for sure but I think shooterready shot through with staff and just met up with us???). It's an absolute riot! Munger is a completely different range than I've seen elsewhere and the shooters it draws are incredible. Also the food is great, the staff is REALLY great, the stages are a blast though a little slick (I'm sure Chad remembers my epic face plant at the match) I promise you'll have a ball.

Some things to bring that I didn't....

BUG SPRAY not the prissy kind either. Get that industrial strength stuff because Munger mosquito swarms are able to carry men off.

spare mags if you can. Munger can be a little muddy and if you drop one in the right spot it can get a little gummed up.

Good shoes like hikers or even work boots something with tread. I wore tennis shoes hence the face plant.

Last but most important a two by four to beat Chad, Bob and Rick with before the match so you stand a chance! :devil: :devil: :devil:

Hope to see you there!!!

Lol I shot on the squad with the first and second of your replying members there (or not I can't remember for sure but I think shooterready shot through with staff and just met up with us???). It's an absolute riot! Munger is a completely different range than I've seen elsewhere and the shooters it draws are incredible. Also the food is great, the staff is REALLY great, the stages are a blast though a little slick (I'm sure Chad remembers my epic face plant at the match) I promise you'll have a ball.

Some things to bring that I didn't....

BUG SPRAY not the prissy kind either. Get that industrial strength stuff because Munger mosquito swarms are able to carry men off.

spare mags if you can. Munger can be a little muddy and if you drop one in the right spot it can get a little gummed up.

Good shoes like hikers or even work boots something with tread. I wore tennis shoes hence the face plant.

Last but most important a two by four to beat Chad, Bob and Rick with before the match so you stand a chance! :devil: :devil: :devil:

Hope to see you there!!!

Industrial strength bug spray and a two-by-four...got it.

See me there you shall, thank you for the info.

Chuck

The Great Lakes Regional was my first ever major match and I really enjoyed it. Shooterready was the RO on one stage and I stepped on his foot while moving to a new position. I knew then that I was finally fast enough ;)

I will be there this year on Sunday trying to not repeat last year's performance. Too many points down. Blech!

Definitely bring a pair of boots in case of rain. Last year did seem drier in the bays though.

• 2 weeks later...

@wurm, We will be there...we're shooting sunday too....

@chuck D, If you see my buddy ( a small guy that flies or runs like a mosquito larvae.... :roflol: ) That's Jayjay,

Welcome to Michigan...let us know how we can help?....

..the common theme seems to be mosquitos. I'm not complaining though, it never gets warm enough here for mosquitos. :bow:

What's the recommended Michigan strength bug spray ?

Thanks for teh warm welcome. I'm REALLY looking forward to the match.

Edited by Chuck D

..the common theme seems to be mosquitos. I'm not complaining though, it never gets warm enough here for mosquitos. :bow:

What's the recommended Michigan strength bug spray ?

Thanks for teh warm welcome. I'm REALLY looking forward to the match.

The mosquitos here are carrying a "BUG".... :lol:

• 2 months later...