Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VihtaVuori Powders for 9mm

TKHover

Just trying to get some personal experience opinions. I've been using 4.9 gr. of N330 behind 124 gr Montana Gold JHP for some time now. Generally, I've been very happy with the results. I get good, but not outstanding accuracy. However, that's probably more me than the load. I'm always looking to improve and try new things. I'm about to buy some new powder and was thinking of trying either N320 or 3N37. As I said, I'm looking for personal experience opinions from those of you who have used N320, N330, or 3N37. Please do not respond with opinions of other powders. I just want to try one of the two new VihtaVuoris or stay with N330. I'm shooting these loads mainly out of a 9mm CZ75B in IPSC. Thanks.

Tom

N330 is a very nice powder. Clean, repeatable, good for 40cal as well.

N320 might work a little better, or a little worse, but close.

3n37 is really slow for Limited or Production loads. A compensator-gun powder.

Accuracy: If you can find a box of Hornady XTP bullets, that will show you what your gun is capable of. In general, Montana Gold and Zero are close but not equal in accuracy to the XTP.

[edited to appease mr. sunshine]

Edited by caspian28r

N330 is the mother of all 9 mm powder,

but....

Not available in 2 kg cans, so more expensive.

I always used 3n37 for reloading my 9 mm,

that is in IPSC standaard PF 135.

The same load i used for steelshooting events.

Best regards

Adrie

Tom wrote: "mainly out of a 9mm CZ75B in IPSC"

That's my gun! I shot most of 2003 season w/ a 75B and now shoot an 85 Combat.

1st: you might want to try 147 grn bullets. I find recoil feels much reduced/softened over 124s.

2nd: whatever bullet you choose, N320 is the way to go. Why? It is faster & I have found faster powders (for this application: minor 9x19mm) are cleaner, present less muzzle blast and less recoil.

My CZ-75B load? I go all the way down to N310 (VERY fast) with a 147 at just over 850 FPS; you can do just about as well with a better safety margin with N320 and a 147 @ 850-875 FPS. Don't look in the book for N320 loads & 147s; V V would not approve of N310 or N320 with bullets that heavy. It works for me; proceed at your own risk.

I currently use 3.6 grains of N320 under a WestCoast Plated 147 grain RN. with an OAL of 1.142" and a crimp of around 0.376" with WSP primers.

I shoot this out of my Glock 34 for use in USPSA production competitions.

I tried many different recipes and this one is the best one so far. It has a nice recoil character and allows me to get my sight back on target nice and quick.

Cor

• 3 weeks later...