Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 grain 9mm load?

Nimitz

I use berrys 147, with 3.2 grains of tightgroup , length is 1.15 for my M&P pro

we are really close, i use 147 berry's, 3.4gr titegroup, and 1.150 in my M&P 9L.

ever shot yours over a chrono? i just got one, but finding a place to chrono a load is a bitch.

While the recoil claim of 147's being like 22's may be a little exagerated, my experience with 147 Bayou Bullets goes like this. Normally when my gun goes to slide lock (G34) i can feel the the slide lock back. With my load WST 3.5 GRS/1.145 0AL/.377 Crimp/Fed. SP PRIMERS it is so soft it feels like it just cycled without locking open. With that said it doesn't get any better for me. CHRONOS @ 917 fps/134 PF.

Edited by sweetback

While the recoil claim of 147's being like 22's may be a little exagerated, my experience with 147 Bayou Bullets goes like this. Normally when my gun goes to slide lock (G34) i can feel the the slide lock back. With my load WST 3.5 GRS/1.145 0AL/.377 Crimp/Fed. SP PRIMERS it is so soft it feels like it just cycled without locking open. With that said it doesn't get any better for me. CHRONOS @ 917 fps/134 PF.

• 3 months later...

What recipes do you recommend w 147 gr bar creek? I load the same using power pistol. Also, what crimp and oal are you using?

uote name='21 shooter' timestamp='1330142482' post='1645750']

Nimitz,

If you do a search there is a wealth of good information on this subject here. I like the moly coated bullets, and the brand I currently use is Bear Creek, but there are others that are very popular as well. If you like jacketed, Montana Gold, Precision Delta, and many others are available. For powder, there are several opinions. VV powders, WSF, Solo 1000, and WW 231 are all good ones, and there are more varieties. Also, the weight of recoil springs will make a big difference in how the pistol handles. A lot of the fun is in trying the different combinations to find what you like. If you have a couple or three loads and can't make up your mind, run them against the timer. It will tell you which load you are fastest with.

Why do people post different OAL's? Wouldn't 9mm have one single/standard overall length?

Also, why would you use less powder with a heavier bullet? This seems backwards to me from an inertia point of view...

You can load the same bullet to different OALs, and certain guns might like it better (function more reliably, shoot more accurately) longer or shorter.

Heavier bullets tend to be longer, which tend to result in less internal case volume, which results in higher pressures.

also, usually we are trying to keep PF a constant, in my case minor PF at 130 +/- ....so the heavier the bullet the slower it's velocity has to be to make the same power factor, therefore less powder.

A 115g 9mm bullet needs to go around 1150 fps to make a PF of around 130. A 147g 9mm bullet only needs to travel around 890 fps to make the same 130 PF ...

Try a 147gr bullet with 3.3gr of n320 in your gun and chrony it.

That might make PF but I bet it would be close depending on bullets/OAL. I was at 890ft/s average with 3.4grs N320 with 147gr Berrys, 1.150" COL. 3.7gr of 231 with 147gr Berrys, 1.150" COL gave me about 900 ft/s average. They are both very nice loads with maybe a slight edge to the N320 in the softness department.

ok, since that first post in Feb I've managed to learn a few things and have also purchased a complete XL650 setup since my reloader is leaving the state. I plan to shoot lead for practice since I can get the cost to around 10 cents a rd. I have several different lead bullets (Missouri, Percision, SnS)to work up loads with and after talking with many folks have settled on WST. I'm also going to compare 124g with 147g bullets so I'm looking for a good starting load for both 124g & 147g lead using WST. Can anyone who shoots lead point me to a reasonable starting load or a place to look them up? I'm looking to make minor PF at around 130. Thx!

Why do people post different OAL's? Wouldn't 9mm have one single/standard overall length?

Also, why would you use less powder with a heavier bullet? This seems backwards to me from an inertia point of view...

You can load the same bullet to different OALs, and certain guns might like it better (function more reliably, shoot more accurately) longer or shorter.

Heavier bullets tend to be longer, which tend to result in less internal case volume, which results in higher pressures.

Is this OAL customization a function of gun manufacturer or individual guns?

For instance... Do all 9mm Glocks like a certain OAL, or do individual 9mm Glocks like different OALs?

Different OAL's will perform different in guns, even of the same model. The "lands" of the barrel (where the rifling starts) limits the maximum OAL a cartridge can be, this depends on the barrel manufacture. Changing the OAL also affects the pressure in the cartridge, shorter the OAL, the more pressure there is. Most people try to load as long as possible, to get the softest recoil they can.