Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Rifle

Zak Smith

Only problem so far is cheek weld. The bolt comes so far back, you can see the stock is inletted along the top to accomodate the bolt movement, so adding a permanent cheek pad is out. Now I'm using a cloth I set there and remove while operating the bolt to get a decent cheek weld.

-z

1*-

It is less punishing than magnum slugs through my Benelli. Those leave me bruised. On the 50, the brake is effective, the gun weighs around 30lbs, and the recoil pad is over an inch thick.

The easiest .50 to shoot in terms of recoil is probably the AR-50, it's huge, 34 lbs + optics, and has the most effective brake.

-z

It's a McMillan action and stock, a "Mike Rock" barrel, built by GA Precision; I bought it "new" from the original owner out East.

I am loading 750gr Hornady AMAX bullets in new IMI cases with H50BMG, seated to 5.480". I have to get pretty close to Hodgdon's max load to get acceptible velocity (over 2600fps). The chamber has minimum dimensions and is short-throated. Barrett M33 ball ammo does not come close to chambering in this rifle due to the short throat. I haven't tried any other commercial or surplus ammunition.

I haven't been shooting for groups seriously yet - just trying to get in the right powder range. I did get one 0.5" 3-shot group at 200 meters during the work-up.

-z

Sweet! One of the guys I shoot with at our club has a very simular .50 cal. It is a blast to shoot (literally). Don't ever make to mistale of going prone with the thing, and not having some padding between you and a concrete surface, OUCH!

I tell most people I feel that the recoil is simular to that of 3" magnum goose loads when put through a light field shotgun. Not fun, but it wont break your cheek bone either.

How does it shoot so far with something good like Hornady match ammo? And with mil-spec ball?

It turns out I originally misjudged the throat length. Got the Stoney Point gauge and I'm now seating the AMAX's about 0.020 - 0.030" off the lands (OAL about 5.640").

I'm getting pretty consistent 3 shot groups 0.5 - 0.65 MOA, shooting at 200m. The gun can clearly shoot 5 shot groups of a similar size, but I'm finding out that it's hard for me to make the last two shots.

The Parker-Hale-style bipod sucks. I'm using a 'ruck as a rest instead. Works much better.

-z