Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting rifle length AR to mid length

Mo Zee

As the topic states, I am replacing my rifle length barrel on my colt sp1. Was thinking of going with a 16 mid length. Is this recommended for IPSC rifle? Any ideas if it will make factor? The furthest distance we shoot is about 150 yards.

If it s recommended to change over what parts do I need? I have the barrel and gas tube on my list. Have the standard front sight with gas block. Any thing else?

Thanks for looking.

Do not touch that SP1!!!! What don't you like about it? 6.5lbs. Great rifle. Why would you put a Mazda engine in a stock Chevy Malibu? Hang on to it. Get a DPMS kit or equivalent and make yourself a new gun. I wouldn't even free float it.

Do not touch that SP1!!!! What don't you like about it? 6.5lbs. Great rifle. Why would you put a Mazda engine in a stock Chevy Malibu? Hang on to it. Get a DPMS kit or equivalent and make yourself a new gun. I wouldn't even free float it.

As much as I hate Colt AR's, I would have to agree with this ^^^

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I am limited on the budget so cannot build up another AR for the moment. There is nothing really wrong with the gun, I am just being pro active in rebarreling it as I assumed the gun is old and I have no history on the gun. How many rounds are these barrels good for?

If you decide to rebarrel i'd be glad to take it or the upper off your hands( assuming it is an colt sp1 upper).

It isnt optimal, but there isn't usually anything wrong with those barrels, the one in my sp1 will shoot good 52-55gr ammo into about 1.5" at 100 yards (scope on the carry handle) and a cheek piece. I don't love the a1 sights but if you zero them well (thinner front sight wouldn't hurt) and don't lean to hard on the forearm you might be pleasantly surprised at how well it shoots.

That's a chrome lined barrel, 15k-20k rounds.

Wow, those chrome lined barrels sure do last. Maybe I am being over cautious for nothing.

If you decide to rebarrel i'd be glad to take it or the upper off your hands( assuming it is an colt sp1 upper).

It isnt optimal, but there isn't usually anything wrong with those barrels, the one in my sp1 will shoot good 52-55gr ammo into about 1.5" at 100 yards (scope on the carry handle) and a cheek piece. I don't love the a1 sights but if you zero them well (thinner front sight wouldn't hurt) and don't lean to hard on the forearm you might be pleasantly surprised at how well it shoots.

If I change you more than welcome to it. I might have a colt upper (sp1) laying around. Drop me a pm if you keen, I will send you some pics.

That's a chrome lined barrel, 15k-20k rounds.

Wow, those chrome lined barrels sure do last. Maybe I am being over cautious for nothing.

If I change you more than welcome to it. I might have a colt upper (sp1) laying around. Drop me a pm if you keen, I will send you some pics.

I have 2 old colt de-mil uppers. 1:12 twist. One looks like hell. Rack marks on carry handle. They shoot great. I would not break them down for anything.

The rougher of the 2 I use for my .22 conversion. Perfect role for an old, light, upper.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I am limited on the budget so cannot build up another AR for the moment. There is nothing really wrong with the gun, I am just being pro active in rebarreling it as I assumed the gun is old and I have no history on the gun. How many rounds are these barrels good for?

You can sell that SP1 for a lot more that it would cost to put a new one together. Just zero it. SIght it in and shoot it.