Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comparing bullets for accuracy?

RH45

In my .38 Super, and 9mms jhps have always been more accurate that fmj or cmj bullets. Most of my pistols really like Hornady 124 grain xtps, in 9mm and Zero, 125 grain, jhps, .356(.38 super bullet)

I never shot many of the XTPs because the cost of them was almost twice the cost of the Zero bullets.

With the recent increase of Zero, 9mm, and .38 super bullets, I'm looking at different options, and have been considering going with either Montana Gold 124 grain jhp, or, Precision Delta 124 grain, jhp. From past experience, I know I need more powder with Montana Gold, to make the same velocity as Zeros, or Hornadys, and I know that every barrel chronos a little different.

Has anybody done any extensive, accuracy testing with the Montana Gold, 124 jhp, and the Precision Delta 124 jhp, against the Hornadys and Zeros?

Thanks! :cheers:

The only experience I've had with CMJ was 115 grain. With a Nowlin barrel, accuracy was good but I just didn't like the way the gun felt.

Over 98% of my Major loads have been with 124/125 gr JHP bullets. I started out with Zero 125 gr JHP but moved over to MG 124 gr JHP when the Zero bullets became impossible to find. The MG bullets were a little more accurate in the Nowlin barrel but accuracy was identical in my Schumann barrel.

My only and very limited experience with PD was in .45 and with 150 +/- PF loads, accuracy was very good. A friend gave me a handful to try. Intent was to assure they fed reliably and in that they passed.

Bill

In my .38 Super, and 9mms jhps have always been more accurate that fmj or cmj bullets. Most of my pistols really like Hornady 124 grain xtps, in 9mm and Zero, 125 grain, jhps, .356(.38 super bullet)

I never shot many of the XTPs because the cost of them was almost twice the cost of the Zero bullets.

With the recent increase of Zero, 9mm, and .38 super bullets, I'm looking at different options, and have been considering going with either Montana Gold 124 grain jhp, or, Precision Delta 124 grain, jhp. From past experience, I know I need more powder with Montana Gold, to make the same velocity as Zeros, or Hornadys, and I know that every barrel chronos a little different.

Has anybody done any extensive, accuracy testing with the Montana Gold, 124 jhp, and the Precision Delta 124 jhp, against the Hornadys and Zeros?

I have done considerable testing in 9mm and 38 super with 124/125 gr bullets and here's what I've found (in order of accuracy):

Hornady HAP's are very hard to beat for consistancy and accuracy

Zero #161 .356" JHP 125's are very close to the HAPs and considerably cheaper

Zero #136 conical JHP 125's are very good and group very close to the #161

Nosler 124 JHP's are very accurate but pricey. They are being used by some bullseye shooters.

Zero #162 .355" JHP 125's are almost as good and depending on your barrel, may shoot as

good as the 136

MG's and PD's did not group as well in my pistols (4) as the bullets above but if you need some in a hurry, are more likely to be available.

Remember, when you talk about accuracy, everyones definition is not the same.

If you are concerned about extreme accuracy at ranges beyond 25 yds, or are just an accuracy nut like me, then the above data will serve you well. If you are shooting steel or tactical shoots at 7-20 yds and/or don't bother to carefully work up loads for each of your pistols then it's not nearly as relavent.

Just for reference: the best bullets listed above, in carefully worked up loads, fired from a Ransom rest, or carefully sandbagged have fired many groups under 1" @25yds, and under 2" @ 50 yds in my pistols :cheers:

Edited by reptoid

Hollow point copper jacketed bullets are more accurate. Been tested by military, private citizens, ammo manufacturers. They are more expensive. In the future, bullets will be all copper or a new metal that is not lead. The Federal government is already heading there. Lead is bad. Makes good bullets, though.

I have done considerable testing in 9mm and 38 super with 124/125 gr bullets and here's what I've found (in order of accuracy):

Nosler 124 JHP's are very accurate but pricey. They are being used by some bullseye shooters.

Zero #162 .355" JHP 125's are almost as good and depending on your barrel, may shoot as

good as the 136

MG's and PD's did not group as well in my pistols (4) as the bullets above but if you need some in a hurry, are more likely to be available.

If you are concerned about extreme accuracy at ranges beyond 25 yds, or are just an accuracy nut like me, then the above data will serve you well. If you are shooting steel or tactical shoots at 7-20 yds and/or don't bother to carefully work up loads for each of your pistols then it's not nearly as relavent.

Just for reference: the best bullets listed above, in carefully worked up loads, fired from a Ransom rest, or carefully sandbagged have fired many groups under 1" @25yds, and under 2" @ 50 yds in my pistols :cheers:

Thanks for the information! :cheers:

The Zero 161s have been my bullet of choice for several years, and will easily stay under an inch at 25, and 2" at 50, but, at $110k, and lack of availability, I was looking for an alternative.

Maybe I'll order a couple k of the PDs. If nothing else, I can use them for "hoser" targets, and save the Zeros for longer ranges. :surprise:

good as the 136

The Zero 161s have been my bullet of choice for several years, and will easily stay under an inch at 25, and 2" at 50, but, at $110k, and lack of availability, I was looking for an alternative.

Maybe I'll order a couple k of the PDs. If nothing else, I can use them for "hoser" targets, and save the Zeros for longer ranges. :surprise:

I"ve done extensive testing with my Ransom rest, Hornady XTP JHP were the best, then Zero, then PD, then MG. I order PD's 10K at a time now and last cost was $78 per K. Best accuracy with this bullet was with N340 (5.0gr at 1.085) and Power Pistol (6.0 gr at 1.120). Do a search for my name and you will find some spreadsheets of the loads I tested. Best was .75" 5 shot group at 25 yds for 3 5shot avg.

good as the 136

I"ve done extensive testing with my Ransom rest, Hornady XTP JHP were the best, then Zero, then PD, then MG. I order PD's 10K at a time now and last cost was $78 per K. Best accuracy with this bullet was with N340 (5.0gr at 1.085) and Power Pistol (6.0 gr at 1.120). Do a search for my name and you will find some spreadsheets of the loads I tested. Best was .75" 5 shot group at 25 yds for 3 5shot avg.

Thanks!! :cheers: