Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fribre Front Sight - to do or not to do

Dead Buff

I've been contemplating the idea of installing a fibre front sight on my P16-40 with Bo-Mar rear (already installed)- used for standard div.

Most of the sights on the market seem to be round at the top - making precise aiming a bit difficult and seen a bit low (my rear sight is mounted quite high - and still makes the box), so I’ve gone and designed my own to be built. :wacko:

:huh: Now the q's:

Where should the "dot" be when aiming normally - centre of rear sight, top edge of front, etc? :o

With the steal front I normally watched the sight - on the target - fit in the rear as my aim. Should I now watch the dot in the same "sequence" and if not, what is the use of the "dot" except that it seems to be a fashion thing that works for the top guys? :unsure:

I wouldn't have a limited gun without a fibre optic front sight anymore. Thye really help me pick up the front sight, and they are great for when you are shooting at targets that might not be a traditional color. For example a stage I ran into a few months ago had steel that was painted a REALLY dark blue. People with standard black front sights had a hell of a time.

As far as how I shoot with it, the exact same as I would with a non-fibre optic. Top of the front sight even with the top of the rear sight.

Since I shoot more than I would like to indoors, the best one I have found is the Dawson INDOOR model, which unfortunatily they no longer make. I am looking into one of their other models, but haven't decided on which yet.

Outside the fibre optics are GREAT! If it is really bright, sometimes they feel like you are shooting a dot gun. Try one, I will bet you will like it. ;)

Why not try a fiber optic contained in a normal front post?

If your eyes are not 20/20, or the light is bad, the fiber will help you pick up the front sight. When you need to aim more, the square notch and post will be there for you.

Brazos offers a front sight that you might want to check out before going to a big dot of a fiber.

What Flex said. Avoid the goofy TruDot style sights and go with a Brazos/Dawson/EGW style sight. You absolutely need the inherent precision of the notch and post relationship. Try shooting Outer Limits with one of those goofy round sights and you'll see why it's a loser in a hurry.

Seriously consider a .090 or .100" wide front sight if you're using a stock Bomar rear.

When I took the stock front sight out of my P-16 and put in a Dawson fiber optic, I was amazed at how bright the dot is outdoors. I really draws your eyes right to the front sight. Definitely get a square top front sight, and make sure you get a Para dovetail. Para uses a non standard dovetail for their sights.

There are other threads in here on FOFS's. A search might turn up some interesting info for you, such as people's preferences for fiber color, dot size, FS's with low snag profiles, FS's less prone to lose the fiber, etc.

Why not try a fiber optic contained in a normal front post?

If your eyes are not 20/20, or the light is bad, the fiber will help you pick up the front sight. When you need to aim more, the square notch and post will be there for you.

Brazos offers a front sight that you might want to check out before going to a big dot of a fiber.

Ya flex I have this site on my gun and I really like it.

DB...it has 3 posts....the fiber goes through the first two (like normal) and the front post has a small hole in it. You can aim with the dot for the fast shots and the front post when you need to hunker down...

Cheers

Thanx all for your help. :D

The sight I've designed - due to shipping from the states to here being a bit of a cramp - seems to be very similar to one of the Dawson sights you mention 9no I did not copy it :P - found it afterwards - could have saved some time :angry: ). Square post, ramped at the bottom, vertical top half, heavy serration on the front - cut downwards for no glare/reflection - we only shoot outdoors here in the bright African sun :wacko: - small post ±1cm behind, hole drilled through front post in so that the "dot" appears centre of the Bomar notch if aiming normally. The FO will have no big dot, just the normal tube, but it will be recessed and countersunk into the aiming post by ±1-2mm to ensure the red dot remains in a nice a dark place.....

:ph34r:

The tube will be fully supported by the sight from front to back.

Since my Para is an older model with no dovetail cut, I'm having a normal 45deg cut milled into the slide.

The width of the sight will be between 0.1" and 0.125" - so that I'll have ±0.2mm light beside the post both sides when aiming - personal pref to see the light.... :rolleyes:

I'll post a pic when the sight/gun is done in ±2 - 3 weeks...having some other tuning work done as well - NM bushing, barrel fit - No 5 links seems short! etcetcetc...

See soon...

Another good thing about fiber optic front sights...if the contact lens for your dominant eye ever falls out, you might still be able to see the bright dot and line it up with the rear sight's notch, even if everything else is blurry.

Happened to me at the last IPSC match. My hits stunk, but it worked well enough to finish the match.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my pistol back from the smit! :D Looks like new compared to it's previous state :P

The front sight I designed looks awsome - not too bright, just right. Real sharp and clear with zero reflection!!!! :rolleyes:

Will test it this weekend to see how it goes - I can feel those A's in my fingertips..... :D:P

Thanx for all the help....

Just last week I broke down and had EGW install a new front sight on my Para. Specifically I had them make a 0.100 wide sight with a red FO installed at the top. the rear blade of the Bomar was replaced with a new fully serrated blade and the back of the front sight is also serrated. The rear notch is .0110 wide allowing me to see around the post.

So far I have only had one practice match, indoors and one steel match outdoors. All I can say is I should have done this a year ago. My old step sight might be more accurate, but my OLD eyss can't see it fast enough anymore (if they ever could). I am heading out after work today for a practice session. If it works as well as it appears to, i will be one very happy camper.

Jim Norman