Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 FNH USA 3 Gun

Larry, could you address the sling question?

Thanks

Sure you will need them and if a gun requires it to be slung at the start, you must have it on at the start, after that you can use it or safely ground it.

Hope that answers the sling question.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks

Sure you will need them and if a gun requires it to be slung at the start, you must have it on at the start, after that you can use it or safely ground it.

Larry,

How far and what is the size of the shotgun targets?

Thanks

Thanks

Larry,

How far and what is the size of the shotgun targets?

Thanks

Sorry, I meant to ask about slugs.

Have a few questions,

1) What type of slings are we requiring for the AR and Shotgun when they are to be slung? 2point, Single Point ETC? Could not find it in the ruless?

2) What about 180 rule when the Rifle or Shotgun is slung when you are grounding or picking up a dropped mag or such? ( kind of was ask previously but no answer was given)

Have a few questions,

1) What type of slings are we requiring for the AR and Shotgun when they are to be slung? 2point, Single Point ETC? Could not find it in the ruless?

2) What about 180 rule when the Rifle or Shotgun is slung when you are grounding or picking up a dropped mag or such? ( kind of was ask previously but no answer was given)

Answer to #1 - Whatever type of sling you would like to use.

Answer to #2 - Unslinging an empty weapon as required in the course of fire will NOT result in a match DQ for violation of the 180 degree rule.

Have a few questions,

Answer to #1 - Whatever type of sling you would like to use.

Answer to #2 - Unslinging an empty weapon as required in the course of fire will NOT result in a match DQ for violation of the 180 degree rule.

How far away are the slug targets and what will they be?

Thanks

What's all the fuss about slug targets? Peep down the barrel and squeeze the trigger. The shotgun is all about loading. Better to practice that then get all in a dither about slug shots

How far away are the slug targets and what will they be?

Thanks

Dave,

My experience with slug targets and distance is "smaller than I want, and about 20 yards too far" :roflol:

That is the exact reason I am asking Dan!

I am working on a better aiming system on my SG.

What's all the fuss about slug targets? Peep down the barrel and squeeze the trigger. The shotgun is all about loading. Better to practice that then get all in a dither about slug shots

Uh, cool. Until you miss your slug shot and...have to load. Slugs have significantly more trajectory drop than anything else we shoot. If they're 50-70 yards no biggie. If Larry does something different like drop them at 100-125, you'll see a lot of issues because most people don't know the slug drop at that range.

Uh, cool. Until you miss your slug shot and...have to load. Slugs have significantly more trajectory drop than anything else we shoot. If they're 50-70 yards no biggie. If Larry does something different like drop them at 100-125, you'll see a lot of issues because most people don't know the slug drop at that range.

Chuck, we do know, it's like a rock!

I agree with you. That said my post was a lame attempt at Monday morning humor but I will stand by the gist of it that shotgun loading is more important. I lay no claim to being a world champion 3 gunner and there is the position of where my thought process is. If someone takes a slug shot at distance and misses causing a reload, if they are not practiced at it they could very well burn up more time than just taking a miss on this target.

The 3 slug shots at ProAm this weekend were a lot of fun for once!!! 3 C zone steel targets at 50-65 yards. You could take support if you wanted and had a gun fully loaded with 9 slugs to hit those 3 shots. Probably the most fun I've had all year shooting slugs and I shot offhand like a man and even missed once.

Well maybe the 2nd or 3rd most fun after hosing them at 25 yards or less on paper at High Plains or slinging them at C zones from 25-50 and a full size Ipsc at 70 at the Rockcastle Shotgun match..

The 3 slug shots at ProAm this weekend were a lot of fun for once!!! 3 C zone steel targets at 50-65 yards. You could take support if you wanted and had a gun fully loaded with 9 slugs to hit those 3 shots. Probably the most fun I've had all year shooting slugs and I shot offhand like a man and even missed once.

Well maybe the 2nd or 3rd most fun after hosing them at 25 yards or less on paper at High Plains or slinging them at C zones from 25-50 and a full size Ipsc at 70 at the Rockcastle Shotgun match..

Those are reasonable slug targets. When the targets are quite small or a long shot, or both, I'm thinking of them as a 10 second bonus target. Make an honest effort, but, don't spend a lot of time on them.

FUN???? One bolt lock reload and 11 slugs later, I got my three hits. I would have loved to drill those targets w/ my rifle when I got it in my hands... I agree they were reasonable targets though, I just need much more work shooting slugs.

Only fun slug stage I've ever shot was the shoot house at Benning in '10.

You don't know Larry do you? His smarta$$ answer will be somewhere between your muzzle and infinity, and they will be things you shoot at.

Howard, that is an awesome answer....let's go with that!

You don't know Larry do you? His smarta$$ answer will be somewhere between your muzzle and infinity, and they will be things you shoot at.

Yes that's a cool answer but when you are paying big bucks to travel to and enter big matches its nice to get decent information on what you have to shoot at.

I have run good size matches and have always given accurate information to any question a shooter asks.

To me that's what most people call courtesy.

FUN???? One bolt lock reload and 11 slugs later, I got my three hits. I would have loved to drill those targets w/ my rifle when I got it in my hands... I agree they were reasonable targets though, I just need much more work shooting slugs.

22 rounds of slugs in the shoot house WAS fun.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

I kinda enjoyed the start outside the house as well :)

I kinda enjoyed the start outside the house as well :)

I enjoyed hammering on LaPewp targets at 25 yards too.

Yes that's a cool answer but when you are paying big bucks to travel to and enter big matches its nice to get decent information on what you have to shoot at.

I have run good size matches and have always given accurate information to any question a shooter asks.

To me that's what most people call courtesy.

OK so here you go, know your shot pattern from 10 yards to 22 yards, know you rifle dope from 3 feet to 450 yards, know how much your handgun bullet drops from 3 feet to 50 yards and of course the big question is the slugs, know your drop from 25 yards to 125 yards.

What happened to the day of knowing all of this before you go to any match. I guess we have become accustom to having everything provided for us it takes the work out of it. Oh yea I guess someone did that for you! Sorry, couldn't help myself on that one, I'm a small business owner.

To be quite honest, until I am setting the stages up, I can only give you approximate. I set stages up by feel and what I think is doable for everyone. So until it is actually on the ground, exact distances will not be known. Sorry I could not tell you the exact distances.

You can hate me but I will not lock myself in for someone to have a complaint later.

Larry