Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester WST in 45 ACP

h8dirt

How much WST are you using in your favorite loads for 200 grain LSWC's? How would you compare WST to Clays, VV N310 and/or Titegroup in the 45 ACP? I am going to try some this weekend for the first time -- thanks in advance for your input and thoughts.

Danny

How much WST are you using in your favorite loads for 200 grain LSWC's? How would you compare WST to Clays, VV N310 and/or Titegroup in the 45 ACP? I am going to try some this weekend for the first time -- thanks in advance for your input and thoughts.

Danny

4.7grs for me. YMMV.

4.8gr for my 200gr SWC. Gives me a little wiggle room for making PF in summer. It's reported that WST gets slower as temps get hotter. I cant compare it to the other powders you've mentioned, but I did compare it to Unique, W231, and WSF. This will be my second year shooting matches with this load. It has worked quite nicely for me and my son.

Danny

4.7grs for me. YMMV.

4.7 for me too. 97 degree day 167pf. A friend with another 5 inch Springfield needs 4.8. We have swapped ammo and my barrel is consistently faster. Our 627s .357 are the opposite, his is faster than mine.

Good Luck,

Walt

4.8gr for my 200gr SWC. Gives me a little wiggle room for making PF in summer. It's reported that WST gets slower as temps get hotter. I cant compare it to the other powders you've mentioned, but I did compare it to Unique, W231, and WSF. This will be my second year shooting matches with this load. It has worked quite nicely for me and my son.

I've done some testing about WST going slower as the temperature gets hotter. The power factor decrease is pretty minimal. I lost about 2 PF for a 40 degree temperature rise. Unless you're trying to hit 165 PF on the dot, the temperature difference is fairly negligable.

At 113 with 4.7gr WST 200gr Bayou SWC, 5" SS gun 168pf. If it gets any hotter I don't shoot anyway. Don't leave your ammo on the dash.

However my favorite load is 4.3gr of Clays with the 200gr SWC from Bayou or Precison. The Bayou saves a lot of cleaning! :surprise:

200 grain H&G 68 LSWC, 1.255 OAL, WST 4.8 grains. WST is softer shooting than Titegroup. Less smoke and leading of the barrel, also.

Isn't almost everything softer shooting than Titegroup???