Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Friday Flame War 11/22

3quartertime

JCF- I hate that blue team too but I hate the suckeyes worse. It will be fun to watch the jerks from Ann Arbor ruin another season for the lugs from Columbus. Bucks are over rated anyway. Signed,  MSU fan.

Quote: from George D on 4:16 pm on Nov. 22, 2002

Quote: from Pat Harrison on 8:35 am on Nov. 23, 2002

Don't pin shooters shoot the same course over and over again?

With antiquated single stacks and Revolvers?

No! Each pin has it's own individual personality.

REVOLVERS RULE! They go bang every time you pull the trigger and no whining about malfunctions because "my OAL must be wrong" or "I'm trying a new spring". No groveling on the ground looking for cases. One shot, one hit! Not like those wimpy spray and pray double stackers. And if they were good enough for the great ones, Elmer Keith and Ed McGivern, they should be good enough for you motley lot. And how about those IPSC shooters. They try to pretend their shooting a high Power Factor and then run off and fit a compensator to reduce the recoil. And they can't even shoot a match without a walk-through first.

AaaHH. That felt good!

(Edited by George D at 9:41 am on Nov. 23, 2002)

Revolvers are great! When they fail to light off rounds you just have to cycle all the way around again to try to get it to fire. This is a huge advantage tactically.

And yup, they were great when McGivern and Elmer Keith were shooting....did autos exist waaaayyy back then?

I remember when I went through the S&W Acadamy for service auto and revolver repair. They gave us 5 days to build 8 Autos that worked and 7 days to build 3 revolvers that worked properly.

I've seen more varieties of comps in Pin shooting (from early Clarke or simple barrel weights, to Jerry M's 10mm comp made from two regular comps stuck together.)

And those hi tech loads, 250 gr .45 lead flying at a whopping 700 fps...or the flying tree trunk bullets for .357's

Oh BTW Terry O'hara is a good friend of mine

Hey Pat,

This is the Friday Flame War. Logic and reason are not pre-requisites.  

But what the heck. The classics never die, regardless of how old they are (I still listen to Mozart). Revolvers don't stove-pipe, fail to go to battery or fail to cycle. And 250 gr at 700fps is still 175PF.

I live out in the Styx in Australia, so I have to admit that I haven't heard of Terry O'hara.  

Quote: from George D on 9:39 pm on Nov. 22, 2002

Hey Pat,

This is the Friday Flame War. Logic and reason are not pre-requisites.  

But what the heck. The classics never die, regardless of how old they are (I still listen to Mozart). Revolvers don't stove-pipe, fail to go to battery or fail to cycle. And 250 gr at 700fps is still 175PF.

No they don't stovepipe...but one little grain of powder under the extractor....

250 at 700 is 175 (I did the math before I posted) but hardly 'high tech'

I live out in the Styx in Australia, so I have to admit that I haven't heard of Terry O'hara.  

Ahh well..everybody was just posting hate rants...thought I should get a real war going

Terry is probably the best shotgun pin shooter in the world (and his wife is no slouch either...the last thing you want to see stepping up to a rolling thunder match is any team with Terry AND Alice carrying the shotguns, couple that with the likes of Jerry M or Ken Tapp holding the pistol, you might as well just sit back and watch the pins fall)

(Edited by Pat Harrison at 9:59 pm on Nov. 22, 2002)

[ Nice mode ON]

Pat, thanks for the info regarding Terry O'hara.

[ Nice mode OFF; Rant mode back ON]

Revolvers may not be high tech but they get the job done - minimum of fuss. And just when was it that 1911's were considered 'high tech'.

McGivern and Keith judged autos to be unreliable waaaayyy back then , so I guess some things never change. But autos do serve a function in fostering patience in revolver shooters who have to stand and wait for certain other competitors to find their lost cases.

[Rant mode OFF]

Have a jam free week-end and shoot well.

Another happy ending...  

Obviously Sweeney was too scared to respond.  

SG,  Nobodys more surprized than me.

Jencatflex,  welcome to the hot spot.  One question.  How do you ever find a time to sign on when the big guy isn't posting???

See ya next week all!!!

Quote: from George D on 6:16 pm on Nov. 22, 2002

REVOLVERS RULE! They go bang every time you pull the trigger and no whining about malfunctions because "my OAL must be wrong" or "I'm trying a new spring".

Then why do I hear so many revolver shooters cycle through several clicks to finally get to the sixth bang on a six shot array?

"Attempted pin shooting w/ disasterous results; I am no longer welcome at any of the local bowling alleys. If I have paid to rent the lane for 1 hour, why can't use it as I see fit? Where does it say I have to use a bowling ball Some people are too sensitive. Sheesh."

So, you thought Rapid Fire was a training film?

Quote: from Pat Harrison on 4:11 pm on Nov. 23, 2002

Hehe...have you seen my SVI IMM...Ti comp, TiN coated barrel, synthetic grip, gain twist rifling, carbon fiber scope mount etc....very high tech

But will it shoot a 240 gr projectile at 1500 fps like my low tech S&W 29C?

"Should I point out that bowling alleys place the pins farther away than you'll see them at a pin match"

Pin shooters take such minor variations in their stride. And those smug little wooden headed suckers have it coming, especially the older ones that have learned to duck.  

I was not afraid to post, I was not able to get back to the computer.

With Terry and Alice on a 3-person team, the pins do not fall, they are hurled off the tables.

As for my tutu, you really missed something by not taking dance lessons.  As the tall, muscular guy it always fell to me to do all the lifts.  I had class after class with a continual line of slender, scantily clad teenaged girls who simply leapt into my arms.  Why?  because they knew I wouldn't drop them.

EAT YOUR HEART OUT WHILE MAKING FUN OF MY BIG FEET.