Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carver open g17

hax

Who has tried out one of Bobby carvers glocks? Did you like it? Would you recommend it?

The reason I ask, I'm looking to get into and purchase an open pistol. The problem that I have is money. I'm looking to spend somewhere around 1500 for the gun and I know the mags are also cheap for glocks. I have been looking at a lot of different packages for open glocks and it seems that carver puts together what seems like a good priced package. I have heard that glocks with comps shoot horrible, is this true? I'm looking to push 9 major with one of his 4 port comps. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Are there other options I should be looking at?

Thank you

I built my own with a Jager kit and it worked out ok. Bobby's guns are good, especially for the price. I have even thought about getting another one and buying his minor gun for steel. Going with a 2011 style gun is your best bet. I just dont see you finding much used for that kind of money. Not sure who told you that Glocks are horrible with comps but that in my opinion is false. Mine was good with the major load I shot. I will say though that with the time and technology they have in the comps for 2011's they are ahead. Get what you want though! Its your money. Personally though I think when the time comes and I do go Open again I will probably just get an STI.

Personally, if I had to do it over again, I would just go with a 2011 Open gun.

I built a .40 Open Glock from a Glock 22. I started with a Jager kit, but I didn't like the comp. I finally went with a Carver comp. The gun was good enough for me to get my "B" card, but you don't really see many, (it any), A or above Open shooters using a Glock, and there's probably a reason for that.

The only good thing is that I still have a Glock 23 slide assembly for the gun, so I can use it for Limited too, bit for Open, I'll go with my new 2011 9mm Major.

But would I be able to get an open gun for 1500?

Thank you

I had been watching the classifieds for a few months prior to starting my Glock G17 STS build last week.

I didn't see one 2011 S_I race gun below $2200.00, and most for sale in the classifieds were closer to the $2,500 range.

With new STI guns approaching $4K (with magazines) driving the price of used guns skyward, I would say the short answer to finding a $1500 Trubor or GM would be... NO!

IMHO start off with the Glock, PRACTICE finding and controlling the dot and just get in the game. Don't listen to the shootors who say "you must have a XXX gun to be competative", or worry about impressing the other shooters with your high priced 2011 hardware. When YOU can shoot better than the Glock, and the Glock is the only thing holding you back, it is time look at the STI or maybe a custom gun built the way you want.

Edited by wmspdi

Yes, I too have been watching the classifieds like a hawk. I haven't seen one in my price range. I am currently having Matt cheely build me one of his awesome limited guns but I would also like to try out open. So I have been leaning towards a glock. What are you adding to your glock? Are gunsmith fit barrels easy to fit yourself?

I am using a Jager comp, KKM barrel and a Jager UL striker, recoil rod and flat spring. I haven't decided on the dot for sure. I am leaning toward the C-More STS, but I want to see the new Burris Fastfire III before I decide. I will mount the dot on the slide for a while then maybe have it melted in once I am sure. For the lower a Decal Grip, JP Enterprises aluminum magwell and a Vanick Triger kit.

Who has tried out one of Bobby carvers glocks? Did you like it? Would you recommend it?

The reason I ask, I'm looking to get into and purchase an open pistol. The problem that I have is money. I'm looking to spend somewhere around 1500 for the gun and I know the mags are also cheap for glocks. I have been looking at a lot of different packages for open glocks and it seems that carver puts together what seems like a good priced package. I have heard that glocks with comps shoot horrible, is this true? I'm looking to push 9 major with one of his 4 port comps. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Are there other options I should be looking at?

Thank you

Hi,

I saw your post and thought that I would respond, at least with what I have learned from my Carver Open gun. I want to be honest from the start, I shoot for team Carver. However, I don't want you to think that, just because I shoot for the team, that it's the only reason, as to why I like the gun.I shoot the gun because, Glocks are the only guns, that I like to shoot. My Open Gun, it's a G-35 - with a four hole Carver Comp, a Carver Drop in 2.5 lb. trigger kit, Carver Mount/Rail, Slide racker and Big Mouth Mag well. It's built on the 35 because, I to had one, and didn't want to purchase a new gun (he suggested a G-22 for the build). Because of where we live, it is extremely difficult to get permits too, and since the 35 was already in my hands, that is what we used. For me though, the good thing about the 35 (40 Cal), is that, it's much easier to make major power factor without snappy loads. Plus, in my case, because of where we live - and also have an awesome 15 round maximum. The 40 allowed me to get to 15 rounds, with a regular base pad.And I can put a larger one on for out of state matches. After playing around with recipes a bit, and a soon as we found the perfect 40 load, we were ecstatic.The gun was now running steady and making major without a problem. As far as I'm concerned the gun is spot on. The gun runs flat, with hardly any recoil. I went from shooting a G-24 for Limited, without any problems, straight into shooting the open gun, without ANY problems. The ONE problems that I do have is that, I am addicted to the gun, without a doubt.

For me, when I really started to consider, shooting Open Class, I really had to start asking the same type of questions, like you are doing now. The first and foremost thing that I think that I would ask is: what type of gun, do you normally shoot? If you normally shoot with a 1911 (or a 2011), then switching over to a Glock, USUALLY isn't what most consider to be, "a normal progression". Most folks go the other way, with the advancement of their guns. Many tend to start with Glock, and move up to something more "substantial". But, if you have been shooting a Glocks, and are: A - happy with the performance, and B- pleased with the way that you shoot with it. Then moving into Open Class, with a Glock, is probably a good choice, and a fairly natural progression as well. Shooting an Open Glock, also helps you stay within your budget as well. The maintenance of the Glock - including the mags are inexpensive, (but then again, so are most of the parts), it is a major reason as to why I like Glock so much. I am not afraid of breaking my gun. Thankfully, they are very easily to afford, making it, an inexpensive format, to build an Open gun on. The accuracy? I have a certain view of accuracy, and think that ANY thing newer than a Civil War Musket, will be accurate. To me, the SHOOTER is the only one, that determines the accuracy of a pistol. This is where I often see folks paying thousands on a gun, but "the accuracy is way off". (Then I often hear something like this next) "If it doesn't get any better soon, looks like I'm going to be getting a new gun". For me, (IMO), the accuracy of ANY gun (once sighted in), is probably going to be spot on. If a person cannot hit the side of the barn, with one gun,,,,purchasing a newer more expensive gun, won't make that person, a better shooter.

Then there is that nice thing that happens when you, add a comp to a gun. It, will HELP with the accuracy, But, only by the simple fact that, it will be calming down the recoil. And, by calming down the jump of the recoil, accuracy will also improve. My (Carver Custom) Open gun is incredibly accurate,,, I know that, If I miss a shot, it's MY fault. I'm the shooter, there is no reason,,, other than me,,, as to why I would miss a shot. Is there a better company for building an Open Gun? Not for Glock's. B&B/Carver, is the really the best, as far as I am concerned. Is there a better Open Gun out there? Maybe. I for one, just didn't want to spend $3-7 K on a gun, where I could achieve, pretty much, the same results? I am biased? I know for a fact that, I have shot 1911's and a 2011, but, I always go back to my favorite guns. Glocks may be all I know -BUT - by sticking to what I know, I have moved up in classification, and become a much more confident shooter as well. Bobby's merchandise, is not only well made, but, he also backs up, all of his merchandise, with great customer service. He is very straight forward and easy to work with. Sure, there probably is a really fantastic 1911 or 2011 out there, just waiting for somebody to pick it up, and turn it into an Open gun, but, if you only have $1500 to spend, (it is exactly what I had), and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

Lastly: I know that you are probably asking the question: Would she be saying this, if she didn't shoot for the team? That would be a yes, with 100%. I went to Bobby to have my gun built, BEFORE I was asked to be on the team. I believe in Bobby's products, and my pistol. He built me a gun that, is without a doubt, absolutely incredible.It shoots great, and it's pretty awesome looking too. Bobby can also have the gun refinished to any color scheme that you might need or want - And, as far as problems or malfunctions with the gun that I have ran into with my gun? I have had the same problem happen exactly twice since I got it. A simple thing lie not checking my rounds in the case check gauge before a shoot, caused it to not go into battery. Once I figured out that this was a problem caused by ME,,,I case check every round, and have been running clear ever since. The gun is fast, flat and very accurate. My comp has not given me a single problem. I do know one thing for sure. And that is this: Bobby builds a nice gun, you won't be disappointed. If $1500. is what you have to spend on a gun, and you are a Glock shooter, I really cannot think of any reason, as to NOT have one built. I consider it to be one of the best investments, that I have made towards helping to advance, my shooting abilities. As far as other shooters becoming A Class or Master Class shooters, with a Glock? - IDK - Dave, Randi, Jessie, Julie were all pretty darn great, with the Open Guns that they were shooting while representing, Team Glock.

BTW- I missed the question about fitting gunsmith barrels. I haven't tried that with a Glock aftermarket barrel. I find the drop-in Glock aftermarket threaded barrels to be good enough for my needs. I am more concerned about chamber support running 9mm Major at +P+ pressures. I feel a tiny bit of play in the lockup isn't a bad thing as metal does expand (and possibly binds) when it gets hot.

1911 .45 shooters learned that lesson the hard way some years ago. Their hot expanding barrels seized up in their tightly fitted barrel bushings midway through a long string of fire.

With a barrel block locking system (like the Glock) if it's tight, and not right, you risk peening the barrel or slide (like in the early run of the Kahr PM9s). Glocks were designed to be combat weapons so I figure if Glock doesn't hand fit their barrels to the slides why should I. If I am shooting an 8 MOA dot on a Glock I am not going to notice a 1 to 4 MOA difference between a drop-in or fitted barrel anyway.

With that said... If I were charging big bucks to build race guns for sale (like SJC or Carver) that might be another story. YMMV.

Edited by wmspdi

BTW- I missed the question about fitting gunsmith barrels. I haven't tried that with a Glock aftermarket barrel. I find the drop-in Glock aftermarket threaded barrels to be good enough for my needs. I am more concerned about chamber support running 9mm Major at +P+ pressures. I feel a tiny bit of play in the lockup isn't a bad thing as metal does expand (and possibly binds) when it gets hot.

1911 .45 shooters learned that lesson the hard way some years ago. Their hot expanding barrels seized up in their tightly fitted barrel bushings midway through a long string of fire.

With a barrel block locking system (like the Glock) if it's tight, and not right, you risk peening the barrel or slide (like in the early run of the Kahr PM9s). Glocks were designed to be combat weapons so I figure if Glock doesn't hand fit their barrels to the slides why should I. If I am shooting an 8 MOA dot on a Glock I am not going to notice a 1 to 4 MOA difference between a drop-in or fitted barrel anyway.

With that said... If I were charging big bucks to build race guns for sale (like SJC or Carver) that might be another story. YMMV.

I spoke to bobby today about his glocks. I found out that he does not use a gunsmith fit barrel. He say you will not see a big enough difference to matter. He also does not tighten the slide as sjc does. He states that tightening the slide is not needed and a waste of time.

All words are paraphrased and not his exact words.

I am still looking towards getting a glock from him. But I do have to say I am not a glock shooter though both of my parents love them. When I do shoot my fathers glocks I don't mind the fit or anything about them except I hate their triggers in factory glocks. Hopefully the 2.0-2.5# triggers feel a lot better and have no take up or over travel. The trigger is the only thing i am scared about(plus making major loads(but I'm sure with all the knowledge here y'all could help me out a bit with that so it shouldn't be a concern)). Can anyone fill me in on the drop in triggers.

WMSPDI: are you going to/did you lower your ejection port yourself?

BTW Bobby Carver is very nice to speak to on the phone and explained everything to me. Great customer service.

Thank you

I spoke to bobby today about his glocks. I found out that he does not use a gunsmith fit barrel. He say you will not see a big enough difference to matter. He also does not tighten the slide as sjc does. He states that tightening the slide is not needed and a waste of time.

All words are paraphrased and not his exact words.

I am still looking towards getting a glock from him. But I do have to say I am not a glock shooter though both of my parents love them. When I do shoot my fathers glocks I don't mind the fit or anything about them except I hate their triggers in factory glocks. Hopefully the 2.0-2.5# triggers feel a lot better and have no take up or over travel. The trigger is the only thing i am scared about(plus making major loads(but I'm sure with all the knowledge here y'all could help me out a bit with that so it shouldn't be a concern)). Can anyone fill me in on the drop in triggers.

BTW Bobby Carver is very nice to speak to on the phone and explained everything to me. Great customer service.

Thank you

I forgot to mention that I also run a KKM barrel in the Open gun as well

No real need to as long as the gun runs fine with your load and without the optic (that can't always be said for the Gen 4 G17s). <_<

With a slide mounted optic there is nothing hanging over the ejection port, or even near the ejection port, for the brass to hit. :D

No real need to as long as the gun runs fine with your load and without the optic (that can't always be said for the Gen 4 G17s). <_<

With a slide mounted optic there is nothing hanging over the ejection port, or even near the ejection port, for the brass to hit. :D

I am running a Gen 3 - 35 - and the ejection port did indeed need to be lowered. But, that also allowed me to have it Cerakoted to the silver that it is now. I have never seen a side mounted rail from Bobby, but I also feel that, the rail that Bobby makes, I feel is second to none, and it worth the small amount that is charged to have the EP cut down. Can't speak of the Gen 4's as I don't own one.

Thank you for everyone's input. After speaking to Matt Cheely, I have decided to go ahead with a 2011. Thank you again for everyone's post, they were well read and thought about.

Thank you