Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bobbed Hammer & Production

Misterbrooks

Anyone here of a recent ruling that allows for an 8-Shot with bobbed hammer to be considered legal when shooting production? Given recent allowances for the semi autos to have internal / non visible modifications one could assume bobbing a wheelguns hammer would only serve the same advantage given the semi.

I was actually emailing James about this same topic yesterday as I am getting a 627 which I intend on using in production. I can't see it being a big competitive advantage just keeps me from getting my hand pinched if I grab too high. Something tells me we will not have a problem with sub 2# trigger pulls anytime soon. Lol.

Lee

The real question here is, Did Smith and Wesson make a N frame bobbed hammer in the last 100+ years?

And then does frame size matter as i have a K frame factory bobbed. yes to both of these questions would include bobbed hammer into production with out question.

James

Edited by JAustin

Good point, although I don't think the factory ever issued a bobbed hammer in an N-frame, and I'm virtually certain they never put one in an N-frame. Another thing to keep in mind is that factory-style bobbing is one thing, and the cut down hammers are quite another.

My read of USPSA and Bianchi Production rules is that hammers and triggers must not have any mods that are externally visible.

• 4 weeks later...

I know what the rule says, but with my high grip, I keep getting pinched by the hammer despite it being the PC teardrop one. I am thinking of taking the spur off mine since I will only shoot club level matches with it and will probably not be hassled about it. Is that cheating if you are not doing it for a competitive advantage just an ergonomic one?

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

Good point, although I don't think the factory ever issued a bobbed hammer in an N-frame, and I'm virtually certain they never put one in an N-frame. Another thing to keep in mind is that factory-style bobbing is one thing, and the cut down hammers are quite another.

My read of USPSA and Bianchi Production rules is that hammers and triggers must not have any mods that are externally visible.

Maybe skeletonizing the hammer would be okay?

I know what the rule says, but with my high grip, I keep getting pinched by the hammer despite it being the PC teardrop one. I am thinking of taking the spur off mine since I will only shoot club level matches with it and will probably not be hassled about it. Is that cheating if you are not doing it for a competitive advantage just an ergonomic one?

Lee

What's the next cheat you want to do because its only a club level match?

Play by all the rules or pick a different division to play in.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

I researched this a year or two ago. I could find examples of factory bobbed hammers in K frame but zero factory bobbed N frames. It is a pretty clear no go for the bobbed 627.

Dave

Lee

I don't think my point really came across correctly - I'll restate. While using a revolver in production, any grips you want are allowed and there is no restriction put on where the ammo can be - these certainly offer a competitive advantage. The hammer spur being taken off of a revolver with a 8# trigger offers virtually no advantage aside from not hurting the palm of my hand. Perhaps the modifications list could be revised to reflect this.

Lee

Lee

I don't think my point really came across correctly - I'll restate. While using a revolver in production, any grips you want are allowed and there is no restriction put on where the ammo can be - these certainly offer a competitive advantage. The hammer spur being taken off of a revolver with a 8# trigger offers virtually no advantage aside from not hurting the palm of my hand. Perhaps the modifications list could be revised to reflect this.

Lee

I agree Lee don't see it being as much a advantage to have a bobbed hammer as the ammo placement or grip rules. The revolver is still at a big disavantage in prod. with 8 vs 10 rounds and slower reloads. I would love to shoot prod. minor with my 627 and would really like to see if I shot it with a dot sight to see if it even things out some. I THINK the dot would make it closer to a even match, making up for the 2 lost rounds and slower reloads. I did say closer still not even. I'm not asking for rule changes just dreaming a little.

You can buy a 627 and put a 8" barrel on it, put big butt grips on it but can't touch the hammer spur? Seems a little strange but realistically only a very few shooters would be affected by this. Maybe even just you and me:) Ok maybe a few more than that.

Paul

Lee if I understand the production class rules right if your gun has a internal lock from the factory it must still be functional. All the one I bobbed the hammer on I had to remove the lock as it would catch on the hammer. If you just cut the spur off you might be alright but a full on bob job will require removing lock. I guess its a moot point as the bobbed hammer isn't legal anyway.

Lee if I understand the production class rules right if your gun has a internal lock from the factory it must still be functional. All the one I bobbed the hammer on I had to remove the lock as it would catch on the hammer. If you just cut the spur off you might be alright but a full on bob job will require removing lock. I guess its a moot point as the bobbed hammer isn't legal anyway.

What lock?

Your gun may not have it, the lock is a hole above the cylinder release that a key fits into that locks the hammer from moving. The safety police decided we needed a lock to keep us safe. I don't know when they started doing it maybe 10 years ago?

You're thinking of IDPA, I do believe.

You're thinking of IDPA, I do believe.

This is cut and paste from USPSA production rules, I may not be reading them right but it reads like all factory safetys have to work.

22- Specifically prohibited

modifications and features

Please note that the absence of an item in the list of

prohibited modifications MAY NOT be construed to

mean a modification is allowed. A modification is

only allowed in Production Division if there is a rules

clause or interpretation which specifically declares

that it is allowed in the Division.

Removing or disabling firing-pin blocks or any other

factory safety mechanism in Production division is

specifically prohibited.