Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun upper/Coyote Upper Questions

thekman24

Hey all,

So Im getting more and more into 3 gun and I want to upgrade my gun. I know Im not good enough to outshoot my current setup but I also want an accurate coyote upper. I'm looking for an 18'' barrel with a rifle length gas system. I figured I could merge the two ideas for an accurate 3 gun upper and a coyote upper. For a 3 gun, I was considering (and still am considering) the DPMS 3G1. But I did a little more surfing the web and stumbled on the BCM Mk12 Mod0 which is a sweet upper but not very practical for 3 gun but is more suited for coyotes (and yes, it does cost a far chunk of change.. but besides that) With a little more looking around, I found the BCM SS410 18'' upper. Its about the same price as the DPMS upper.

Im also looking at compensator/flash hider compromises. Since I want to use this upper for both coyotes and 3 gun, I'd like to have the compensating feature for competitions and the flash hiding ability for night coyote hunting. Im looking at either the BattleComp or the FSC556.

I've read reviews on these uppers and muzzle devices but I'd like to hear what this forum has to say for my specific situation.

Also, does anyone have a solid comparison (of accuracy, not price; I understand that part) of the BCM SS410 18'' barrels and the Noveske 18'' barrels?

Thanks

Edited by thekman24

Hey all,

So Im getting more and more into 3 gun and I want to upgrade my gun. I know Im not good enough to outshoot my current setup but I also want an accurate coyote upper. I'm looking for an 18'' barrel with a rifle length gas system. I figured I could merge the two ideas for an accurate 3 gun upper and a coyote upper. For a 3 gun, I was considering (and still am considering) the DPMS 3G1. But I did a little more surfing the web and stumbled on the BCM Mk12 Mod0 which is a sweet upper but not very practical for 3 gun but is more suited for coyotes (and yes, it does cost a far chunk of change.. but besides that) With a little more looking around, I found the BCM SS410 18'' upper. Its about the same price as the DPMS upper.

Im also looking at compensator/flash hider compromises. Since I want to use this upper for both coyotes and 3 gun, I'd like to have the compensating feature for competitions and the flash hiding ability for night coyote hunting. Im looking at either the BattleComp or the FSC556.

I've read reviews on these uppers and muzzle devices but I'd like to hear what this forum has to say for my specific situation.

Also, does anyone have a solid comparison (of accuracy, not price; I understand that part) of the BCM SS410 18'' barrels and the Noveske 18'' barrels?

Thanks

I use a FSC556 with my ACR for TPC matches (needed something to justify the purchase of my ACR >.<), it does fairly well as well as looks bad ass. I don't own a noveske barrel so I'm not a 100% sure but I believe that all their barrels are 1/7 twist, wouldn't effect accuracy but just wanted to point that out.

If you're comfortable building the upper, you've got a few choices in barrels to go with. The "old standby" is the White Oak 18" SPR. It's a 1 in 7 twist. I wanted a 1 in 8 for my new rifle, so I kept looking. In the sub-$300 category, I the two I was considering were the Nordic and the Rainier 18" rifle barrels. Both of those are 1 in 8 made on Wilson blanks, with what appear to be similar profiles. Loki makes a 1 in 8 on a Satern blank with some pretty extreme fluting as well, but that's a bit over $300.

I ended up with a Nordic barrel, BCM "Blem" upper, BCM bolt carrier group, Gunfighter handle, and a Troy TRX Extreme forend. My muzzle device is the "Jerry" DPMS comp, but that's probably not what you're looking for. I've been very happy with the rifle thus far, and it's a very accurate gun. It really likes the 69 Sierra Match Kings and the 60 grain Hornady V-Max bullets - The VMAX is probably what I'll use if I ever get the opportunity to hunt coyotes.

Not a complete upper, and I don't have any comparisons to a Noveske. But if you're looking for a solid, versatile barrel the Nordic is a pretty good way to go, IMHO.

I wish Noveske made barrels for rifle length gas systems. I would love to have a Noveske barrel.

Does anyone have any comparisons of the BattleComp vs FSC556 vs standard A2 vs anything else? I realize a compromise on flash hiding and compensators is tough and a muzzle device that does both will at lest do a good job at both... but not great at either.

Noveske does, but they are done in limited quantities in small batches for a few particular customers. If you contact Sheri at Noveske about this she can put you on a list when over runs from the contracts are available for sale, she can notify you. If you cannot get ahold of her send me a message I will help you where I can.

~ Jansen Jones

The Noveske Shooting Team

Edited by cold

Noveske does, but they are done in limited quantities in small batches for a few particular customers. If you contact Sheri at Noveske about this she can put you on a list when over runs from the contracts are available for sale, she can notify you. If you cannot get ahold of her send me a message I will help you where I can.

~ Jansen Jones

The Noveske Shooting Team

Oh okay. Yeah, I may be interested in getting a Noveske barrel down the road. I wouldn't mind getting on a waiting list. Thanks a lot!