Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interpreting USPSA results

Fisch

Look through the stage scores and compare your stage time with those in your class, or those who you consider to be in your class if you aren't classified yet. If they were in your squad, try to recall how they managed to save time, or perhaps spent extra time to get better hits. If they weren't in your squad start noting their names and try to squad with them next time around so that you can watch, learn, and ask questions.

Looking at your individual scores without comparing to others, you can judge your accuracy by the number of A's vs. B/C's vs. D's and M's. If you have predominantly A's it maybe a hint that you can push speed a bit more. Have a lot of D's or M's, may need to slow down to get better hits.

Edited by Skydiver

I shot my second USPSA match this weekend, and I am curious - what should I learn from looking at the match results?

I had lunch with a very solid GM shooter today, we talked about this for a bit. For the first few matches, you won't learn a ton from the scoresheet. But if you are an analytical type and know how the scoring system works, then there is a lot to be learned.

For instance, if half the shooters zero a stage, it was pretty tough or unreasonable.

Consistency. Say there were 20 shooters in your division and you finsihed 10th. Were your stage placements close to 10th? If not, what was with the stages you did better or worse on. Did they reveal a flawed skill or a strength?

Accuracy. In a 500 point match, if you have more than 20 points in penalty, there is likey an issue. If you did not shoot at least 450 of the available points, you are going too fast or have an accuracy issue.

Avoid, at all cost, the temptation to duplicate the stage times of A class and up shooters. See if there are one or two shooters that are a few spots ahead of you that you know. Maybe see if you can practice with them, and then make it a goal to pass them.

When I get home from the match, I write down everything I did well and then everything I need improvement on. Getting the results should confirm the good/bad.

I don't measure myself against anyone in my class, I don't want to measure myself against anyone who is where I am at because I don't want to be here anyway. I look at the top overall and find out my % regardless of class. If this gap is getting smaller over time then I am probably improving.

I go through the results to see how many A's, C's and D's I shot. Basically if I am getting a lot of C's, I wasn't doing something right and try to figure it out. If I had any Mikes or No-Shoots, I will do the math so I can see where I would have been if I hadn't gotten them and where I would have finished overall. I do this to reinforce accuracy and penalty free shooting.

Typically the next months practice focuses on the things I need to get better at.

okay, take a look at the results, and see who placed first in that division on whatever stage. You will see he is marked at 100% and the points he gets are going to be some whole number like 100, 115, 120, or 70. Take that number and divide by 5. That gives you the number of rounds minimum that had to be fired to complete the stage. I call that the Minimum Round Count (MRC) for the stage.

Now compare their raw times for the stage to the MRC. Then compare your raw times to the MRC's.

In my opinion, you should be striving to complete a stage timewise under the MRC.

and of course that varies with the complexity of the stage, movers, etc.

Look through the stage scores and compare your stage time with those in your class, or those who you consider to be in your class if you aren't classified yet. If they were in your squad, try to recall how they managed to save time, or perhaps spent extra time to get better hits. If they weren't in your squad start noting their names and try to squad with them next time around so that you can watch, learn, and ask questions.

Looking at your individual scores without comparing to others, you can judge your accuracy by the number of A's vs. B/C's vs. D's and M's. If you have predominantly A's it maybe a hint that you can push speed a bit more. Have a lot of D's or M's, may need to slow down to get better hits.

Unfortunately, the club does not break down our points by A, B, C, D, or M on the results. I know I had zero misses and one D throughout the match, and I got the following breakdown of available raw points:

Stage 1: 92/100

Stage 2: 56/60

Stage 3: 113/125

Stage 4: 38/50

Stage 5: 144/150

My times were slower than most, in fact slower than the MRC Chillis is describing.

Unfortunately, the club does not break down our points by A, B, C, D, or M on the results. I know I had zero misses and one D throughout the match, and I got the following breakdown of available raw points:

Stage 1: 92/100

Stage 2: 56/60

Stage 3: 113/125

Stage 4: 38/50

Stage 5: 144/150

My times were slower than most, in fact slower than the MRC Chillis is describing.

They don't submit them to USPSA?

If you are a member of USPSA you should be able to look up your results on uspsa.org and find a break down of your hits, etc.

IF your local club uploads matches to the USPSA website. For some reason, many clubs don't.

If you are a member of USPSA you should be able to look up your results on uspsa.org and find a break down of your hits, etc.

IF your local club uploads matches to the USPSA website. For some reason, many clubs don't.

For most of the clubs in the Mid-Atlantic Section, there is demand for combined scores from the shooters. USPSA doesn't support display of unofficial results, so clubs result to workarounds -- which for some include only posting the results to their own webpage....

For most of the clubs in the Mid-Atlantic Section, there is demand for combined scores from the shooters. USPSA doesn't support display of unofficial results, so clubs result to workarounds -- which for some include only posting the results to their own webpage....

I understand the desire for combined results - that's why we post combined scores to our club website. But it literally takes less than a minute to also post official results to the USPSA website, and the official results give more information than the combined results (i.e. how many ABC, etc hits).

On our club website, I place a link to the official results just above the link to the unofficial combined results. Piece of cake.

BB

What's also great about the USPSA results page is the points achieved percentage. Shooting 80-90% of available points is a good goal to "shoot" for. More than that, you're too slow. Less, you're too fast or missing for whatever reason.