Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

multiple shot loads for matches?

wmounts

There are two schools of thoughts. Some use the same choke and change shot shells for more power or for a larger pattern spread (spreader shells) while others use the same load and change chokes. I do a bit of both. I change chokes but I do have some pheasant loads just in case that I seldom use.

Pat

There are two schools of thoughts. Some use the same choke and change shot shells for more power or for a larger pattern spread (spreader shells) while others use the same load and change chokes. I do a bit of both. I change chokes but I do have some pheasant loads just in case that I seldom use.

Pat

What types of situations make you reach for the pheasant loads?

There's this one cool prop that MGM has.. I don't know what it's called.. the targets pop up and down.. in a random pattern (probably not, but it looks that way)

At ironman one year.. an open shooter was up... between the comp and the chokes.. those plates would not fall with 7 1/2s.. luckily at ironMan.. people can bring you ammo.. gave him some #6 3 3/4 dram shells.. no problem after that. The targets were not that far away...

There's this one cool prop that MGM has.. I don't know what it's called.. the targets pop up and down.. in a random pattern (probably not, but it looks that way)

At ironman one year.. an open shooter was up... between the comp and the chokes.. those plates would not fall with 7 1/2s.. luckily at ironMan.. people can bring you ammo.. gave him some #6 3 3/4 dram shells.. no problem after that. The targets were not that far away...

I'll have to see if I can find a video of that prop. Thanks.

I carry 3dr. 7 1/2's, 3 1/4 dr 1 1/4 6's, buck, spreaders and slugs

(sort of) Same question for you - for what situations do you reach for the spreader shotshells?

I keep pretty much what he does. spreaders used for up close hosing when you'd want a bit more spread from your pattern. can be useful if you had, say, some real fast paced spraying at one point in a stage and some decent distance targets later on. you'd keep your usual choke (LM) in and still be effective at distance and have a better spread up close with the spreaders.

Pat

What types of situations make you reach for the pheasant loads?

Heavy steel poppers at longer ranges like 25 to 30 yards.

Pat

I brought home hulls from the MGM Iron Man last year from the stage I RO'd and about 75% were the cheap stuff (ie federal target and winchester target aka wallyworld shells) and I didnt see a lot of choke changing. I did see some turkey loads and buck but not all matches allow shot larger than #6. Remington 1 1/8 and AA 1 1/8 handicap loads seem to take everything down if you hit them.

At every major, I carry 4 rounds of heavy shot just in case.

They're there in case I didn't choke properly for a long range target. They seldom get grabbed and if I pull them, it means I'm fixing a mistake.

I shoot 3 dr. 1 1/8 #9 through an ic choke. I don't recall any targets at Ironman refusing to fall with that load, and it gives a dense pattern that smokes the clays. I usually have a few pheasant loads around just in case, and sometimes use them to flip the spinners with more authority. Going to 7 1/2 or 6 shot won't take steel down any better. It's the amount (and velocity) of shot on the target that knocks it down, not the size of the shot used. Yeah, at longer range larger shot retains more energy, in theory. But in practice, at the ranges we shoot, I haven't seen any difference.