Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Limited 10mm rear sight fell off!

kwesi

The adjusment screw was severed in half and the front pin was gone. Found them at my feet as I went looking for my brass. I would like to hear from those loading 10mm in the 1150 - 1250 FPS and if they have had this happen. Is this just my bad fortune? This is not my first Limited thanks to Davidson's warranty. I had an ejector break and the front sight fly off another one. I love this gun and want to hear if my experience is not normal. Davidson's will send me a new gun if I ask them.

Not sure on the temp but it is not air conditioned. Hot in the summer & feels like A/C in the winter.

Surprised to hear that the screw breaking in two is normal. I was using the factory recoil rod + Wolf 16#.

I also have a 18 & 20# recoil springs in addition to the Sprinco. Possibly the Sprinco with one of these three stronger springs might be the better combo.

The factory rear sights are crap. I have broken at least 8 of them. Once Henning releases the fixed rear sight there will be a lot of happy EAA/Tanfo shooters!!!!

Good to hear this as I know it's just a matter of time until mine breaks too.

I think that a big factor in how long the stock LPA rear sights last is how firmly you grip the gun. If you have a very firm grip which does not allow the gun to muzzle flip much then all of the back and forth battering motion is focused on the slide. If you have a looser grip and allow the gun to muzzle flip then the action of the gun muzzle flipping soaks up a lot of the slamming impact of the slide coming all the way back and snapping back forward.

I have a very solid grip which translated to virtually no muzzle flip. So the slide gets battered a lot more when I shoot it verses others. The more battering the quicker the rear sight will fail.

• 2 months later...

My LPA rear sight (on my new Match) is loose (it shifts left and right). Not the blade portion that is supposed to shift left and right for windage adjustment, but the main portion of the sight that the blade attaches to. Does this mean my rear sight is about to fall off too?

Edited by jmbaccolyte

jmbaccolyte> It sounds like your mounting screws are just loose. Take the elevation adjustment screw out and flip the sight up. This will expose the set screws that hold the base of the rear sight to the slide. Take these set screws out, put some lock tight on them and put them back in. After doing that they shouldnt loosen up again.

CHA-LEE> Thanks for the help. I removed the elevation adjustment screw, but the blade and the attached central portion of the sight only flips up part way. It feels as if the front edge (under the roll pin) of this central portion is hitting the base of the sight. It lifts easily just so far and then stops solidly. I hesitate to apply any more than moderate force because you mentioned how flimsy these sights are. It looks like if I pry it any harder it will trash the roll pin that this part pivots on.

The center portion only needs to lift up so its pointing straight up and you can access the set screws. This is how the sight was installed at the factory so there should be enough clearance. From what you described it sounds like the hinge pin has broken off on one side and its allowing the center section to lean to one side or the other causing it to jam up. Give it a close look.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks CHA-LEE, the locktight worked. Had to do it twice because the first time I didn't clean & degrease everything throughly enough I guess. The set screws came loose after 18 rounds of 170pf ammo. (My grip on the gun is probably medium firm). After pulling it all apart and cleaning real good, degreasing and locktighting it again, it has held up for 200 rounds. I think it's fixed, thanks.