Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 to 38?

hax

Forgive my ignorance with 2011's but... If you have a 2011 built in a 40 sw can you build an upper for 38 super or 9 major and have it work properly on your lower? Or would the mag not fit properly. Thank you

Edited by hax

I have a 38SC (USPSA Open) and had a 9mm upper built (Steel Plate Competition). I am in the process of getting a 40 S&W upper built (USPSA Limited). All the mags will fit. Why keep buying entire guns when you can just have top-end built.

Ok so let me get this strait. I can have an open upper built that I can just slide on to my .40 EDGE lower? I don't need to switch out ejectors? Obviously I would need new mags but I can have the same lower for both my limited .40 as well as a 9mm major or .38 super/sc?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so let me get this strait. I can have an open upper built that I can just slide on to my .40 EDGE lower? I don't need to switch out ejectors? Obviously I would need new mags but I can have the same lower for both my limited .40 as well as a 9mm major or .38 super/sc?

I did this last year. I took my STI Eagle lower and had my gunsmith build a 9Major upper. I told him that I want to be able to run both slides and would I need to change the ejector out each time. He said no but I was skeptical. After running about 4000 rounds of 9Major through it and no problems, I believe it now.

So, I guess unless you have something really funky going on with your ejector, it should work for both uppers just fine.

I'm getting a 9major built for my limited gun now. The price all depends on what you want done but way less than a full open gun. I suggest you email Matt cheely for excellent work and great prices.

Thank you

On my last project, I purchased a complete top end from a forum member, got a mount, already had a Cmore sitting around, then added some slide lightening and fitting frame and slide. I put about 800 into it. Going to chrome it eventually so that will raise it more. I am very happy with it but probably will be getting an Akai soon and use this as a backup.

I have a 38SC (USPSA Open) and had a 9mm upper built (Steel Plate Competition). I am in the process of getting a 40 S&W upper built (USPSA Limited). All the mags will fit. Why keep buying entire guns when you can just have top-end built.

The cost for the complete open 9mm upper & hard chrome to match the lower was $1,300.00. Slide was a bald stainless STI. Shoots just as great as the 38SC.

Yeah. Swapping uppers looks like the ticket--especially for running in 3 Gun where power factor may or may not be relevant depending on who is making the rules.

Or I could just win the lottery.

I've been playing swap uppers with my AR's for a long time. So glad you folks enlightened me on the wonderful world of 2011s!