Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Blew Up LOOK AT THIS

deerassassin22

One advantage reloading has over factory is that you can tailor the power factor to your specific needs. I have chronographed factory 45 at between 185 and 193 whereas I load my rounds to 170 max. for major matches and 165 for Level 1 matches. Of course, the gun shouldn't have blown up like this with factory loads but I think running factory loads is harder on the gun and the difference in recoil is very noticeable.

You load to 165pf MAX for local club matches? Which means that you are shooting minor at club matches but not majors? Why not shoot the same load? Don't cheat yourself. At majors, your timing will be off if you shoot primarily locals at a lower PF. Reduce as many variables as possible.

No I don't shoot minor at matches. 165 is major.

To the OP: Have you sent it off yet? Any update?

I think you missed what Want2Race was trying to ask/say. If as you say that your max PF is 165 for local matches. Given that bullet velocities are in bell curve, by saying that 165 is your max means that 165 is at the right tail end of the graph. That would then mean that your average is going to be below 165 PF.

325px-Standard_deviation_diagram.svg.png

In the graph above, 165PF will be at the far right side. If your bullets had a standard deviation of 1 PF, the average would be at 161PF. (Note that 1 PF difference for a 180gn bullet is only about 6 fps. As I understand it it's more typical to see a standard deviation of 12-20 fps deviation.)

Edited by Skydiver

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called them today they have already sent me a shipping lable for repairs with no issues so far.

Did you express to them that you are a competitive shooter and you have a comp coming up? I had this conversation with them and they turned my XD around in 8 days when it was having issues.

That is the fourth Springfield I've seen do that in basically the same spot over the past 3 years. They were all Brazil guns, either mil specs or loaded models. Springfield always took care of them for the customer.

I saw the same thing happen to a SA back in 2003/2004 timeframe during an indoor match at the Bullet Hole in Omaha, NE.

One question..Did it eject the brass,or was it still in the chamber after the failure? I've changed several bad barrels in Springfields over the years,the lugs break off because the barrel is pressed into the hood/chamber.There are custom builders that won't do work to a Springfield without changing the barrel.

One question..Did it eject the brass,or was it still in the chamber after the failure? I've changed several bad barrels in Springfields over the years,the lugs break off because the barrel is pressed into the hood/chamber.There are custom builders that won't do work to a Springfield without changing the barrel.

Sounds like a scam to me :(

Sorry..

Sorry..

What do you mean? A scam because they won't reuse an SA barrel? One of those builders is Clark's,check their website.The barrels are inherently weak,I speak from experience.On any other 1911 barrel,the whole thing is one solid forged piece.On an SA,the barrel and chamber are seperate pieces.The lugs are pretty much attached to an 1/8 inch piece of metal.When the lugs break off,you can see the barrel tube underneath,I've changed 4-5 of them.If you don't believe it,I'm sure somebody else here can verify it.I may actually have one in the scrap bucket.By the way,good luck trying to get them to send you another barrel even if you send the old one back to them,so you end up spending 50-100 bucks shipping the gun back to get a 35 dollar barrel..I just put in a new barrel instead of wasting the money..

Sorry..

What do you mean? A scam because they won't reuse an SA barrel? One of those builders is Clark's,check their website.The barrels are inherently weak,I speak from experience.On any other 1911 barrel,the whole thing is one solid forged piece.On an SA,the barrel and chamber are seperate pieces.The lugs are pretty much attached to an 1/8 inch piece of metal.When the lugs break off,you can see the barrel tube underneath,I've changed 4-5 of them.If you don't believe it,I'm sure somebody else here can verify it.I may actually have one in the scrap bucket.By the way,good luck trying to get them to send you another barrel even if you send the old one back to them,so you end up spending 50-100 bucks shipping the gun back to get a 35 dollar barrel..I just put in a new barrel instead of wasting the money..

Mmmm yeah I think it a scam.. If you don't that's cool.

Change them all you want it's your gun and money :)

As far as paying for shipping SA pays for shipping both ways..

Cheers,

Los

Sorry..

Mmmm yeah I think it a scam.. If you don't that's cool.

Change them all you want it's your gun and money :)

As far as paying for shipping SA pays for shipping both ways..

Cheers,

Los

It's definately not a scam,these builders don't want to put these barrels back in because they break.Would you want to pay a shop like Clark's $2400.00 for work on a Bullseye gun,and in 6 months,the barrel lugs break off? I'm not some big time builder,I just mess around at my buddies shop at night,I've seen four or five SA's with the lugs broken off over the last ten years.Didn't know SA payed for shipping,just talked to them three months ago about this very same problem,but I was just trying to send the barrel back.I ended up putting a Series '70 Colt barrel in the gun,they wouldn't do an exchange forthe bad one..If I still have it,I'll post a pic..

• 2 weeks later...

Well got my baby back from springfield and the hooked me up good. They gave me a whole new gun minus the lower by that I mean new springs, pins, trigger, hammer, finish barrel the works new sights and all never had any issues. Thanks for all the messages about using a gun for the sectional but we are Good to GO.

Well got my baby back from springfield and the hooked me up good. They gave me a whole new gun minus the lower by that I mean new springs, pins, trigger, hammer, finish barrel the works new sights and all never had any issues. Thanks for all the messages about using a gun for the sectional but we are Good to GO.

Dood i knew it.. Springfield CS is the gold standard..

total studs in action..

Its great when customer service comes through like that, but your title to the thread is misleading, This is a 1911 blowing up!

dood...

that friken scared the dog shit out of me...

lol was the guy ok?

is there a version of the unedited video??

peace,

Los.

WTH hell was that...? Kind of extreme creative photoshop stuff?

Ya something like that, what actually happened was nothing, if I remember right he had a primer backwards! but a little creative editing and BOOM!

• 1 year later...

I'm new to these guns, but I doubt it had anything to do with the slide, it was the fit of the bushing to the barrel, hear me out now, makes more sense and it much more likely.

Barrel heats up after a several shots, metal expands, bushing doesn't expand as fast as it is only in contact with barrel and not molecularly forged with barrel, if it is a tight fit and barrel heats to the point bushing won't slide over barrel what happens, the slide breaks and Bob's you uncle. I noticed from the first picture there is excessive wear from the bushing at the rear of the barrel, that indicates that the bushing is a bit to tight to the barrel at that point. When you get your next weapon in, I would polish the outside fo the barrel and make sure it is uniformly round from the tip to the throat area, just a suggestion, I'm going to caliper mine after I post this.

That might be a weak spot on the slide, but something had to cause the bushing not to move for the slide to have broken there, the guide rod might be the culprit, but more than likely it was some more severe than that. Hope you get the gun replaced and all is well on the next one.