Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Linkless SA

JerryShoots

Can I shoot my S.A. 40 S&W Linkless in Single Stack? Do I have to replace the guide rod and barrel to do so? I don't intend to run it often but once in a while it would sure be fun :P

Thank you

From what I can see from the webpage describing the weapon system, it sounds like the barrel is ported, as well as there is no barrel bushing. The former contravenes the requirements in Appendix D5 Item 16 (no barrel ports allowed) as was Item 22 which says "All other barrels must have barrel bushings and conform to factory profile".

A little bit more in the grayer area is how to interpret this Special Condition is Appendix D5:

Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public and have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M. Browning. Pistols made from components that duplicate the factory originals are acceptable. Frames must be metal.

Is the transformation from a design that originally used a link to one doesn't still considered to have the same basis?

The Springfield "Linkless" is not ported, the "Omega" was. The "Linkless" is basically a 1911 Slide and Frame with a Glock-like barrel and recoil spring assembly. It did have a barrel bushing. It was once available to the general public.

The Springfield "Linkless" is not ported, the "Omega" was. The "Linkless" is basically a 1911 Slide and Frame with a Glock-like barrel and recoil spring assembly. It did have a barrel bushing. It was once available to the general public.

Thanks for the correction, I should have scrolled down further on that page: http://www.bren-ten.com/website/id56.html

I stopped reading when I got to the paragraph that said "there are a couple of important differences" and proceeded to only list the the 2 differences. Since couple means 2, I stopped. If I'd gone further the field strip photo clearly shows the existence of a barrel bushing, and probably with some scrutiny on the picture noticed no ports on the barrel.

With those corrections, if I was playing RM, I'd say the gun is legal for Single Stack. To me, the linkless design is still based on the original design, much like the addition of a firing pin block is still based on the original design.

Ah your your suggesting that since the series 80 is allowed this should be as well. That makes sense to me and I appreciate your reply very much.

I'd like to get a few more inputs from some more RO's plus any concerns that you or they may have.

Thanks in advance for the help folks!

I was surprised when the external extractor was approved so maybe you'll be good to go on this too. As I remember the barrel tends to stay locked longer before dropping which was felt to be a good thing for the 10MMs Springfield also made with the link less system.

• 2 weeks later...

you guys are confusing the Omega with the linkless. Not the same thing. The Linkless is only a different barrel and guiderod/spring assembly. It uses standard 1911 frame and slide. In fact is was designed for the barrel to be sold as a kit to be fit to existing slides. Not sure what problem they were trying to solve.

Unless somebody field stripped the gun no way to really tell. Id say it is just adding an aftermarket barrel and guiderod,