Introducing PractiScore

Brian N.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now you'll have to explain yourself. What is the problem with android version?

PS: maybe I'll just put a plug in the next release, so you wont be able to flip between ios and android so easily... :D

Eugene, the Android version sync only works when you enter the sync code of the source device on the master. iOS version allows you to search for the device by name.

During a match, I have to interfere with scoring to look at the screen to find the sync code, then enter it into the sync code field on the master.

If you have your devices named...DEVICE1, DEVICE2, etc, then all you need to do is find the name in the iOS list and grab it. Wish it would work like that in Android.

Now you'll have to explain yourself. What is the problem with android version?

PS: maybe I'll just put a plug in the next release, so you wont be able to flip between ios and android so easily... :D

Something which I hope you all will eventually fix: an android ps device can't automatically detect other devices; you have to keep track of and laboriously tap in the sync codes. You don't have to do that with the ios version.

I was playing around with the Time Plus match type and was surprised that the default Division and Class information was based on IDPA stuff. Has it always been this way or did the IDPA deployment accidentally leak over to the Time Plus match type?

I am using the Android V1.1.2 of PractiScore on a Nook.

Edited by CHA-LEE

Charlie, it always been this way. What have you expected to see there?

BTW, there is a separate division history for each match type, so you only need to change them once for given match type.

Eugene, the Android version sync only works when you enter the sync code of the source device on the master. iOS version allows you to search for the device by name.

I see... Well this is already done for 1.2 release that is also targeting Steel Challenge. Though I can't promise any time frame yet. But you can email support@practiscore.com to be part of beta testing crew. :)

- if wifi / internet is available they are logged to scorelog.practiscore.com (https://scorelog.pra...EE-43D7E2D7A326)

Do you envision this logging to be a source for backups as well? I'm always afraid of a nook dieing in the field for a big match and losing the scores since the last sync. I really like the email feature too, that way shooters can keep track of their scores. QR codes seem too complicated to me, I think a simple approve button is sufficient.

It would be nice if the address were configurable, but if I absolutely had to, I'd run a local DNS server and hijack the domain to point to my app, and I'll dig out wireshark to figure out how it works :)

I tried it, it didn't end well :)

- if wifi / internet is available they are logged to scorelog.practiscore.com (https://scorelog.pra...EE-43D7E2D7A326)

Do you envision this logging to be a source for backups as well? I'm always afraid of a nook dieing in the field for a big match and losing the scores since the last sync. I really like the email feature too, that way shooters can keep track of their scores. QR codes seem too complicated to me, I think a simple approve button is sufficient.

Definitely. If necessary. The results can be filtered, so you can see all for a squad, a shooter, or a stage.

I rely on frequent syncing to handle devices dying. We are gearing up to add cloud sync, where a device's data goes to the cloud for synching and for backup.

It would be nice if the address were configurable, but if I absolutely had to, I'd run a local DNS server and hijack the domain to point to my app, and I'll dig out wireshark to figure out how it works :)

I tried it, it didn't end well :)

Nope - it wouldn't. For it to work you'd need some CGI on the hijacked DNS. But take heart, at some point we will add a local WiFi listening logger that can accept the logs.

This stuff is part of the things we are doing for A1. It will spread out, and improve, after that event (next month).

The core, though is the transactional log, making it impossible to edit a score without knowing it, and keeping an audit trail of all changes.

Ken N.

Quick FYI... the USPSA HQ and NiftyBytes came to an agreement on activity reporting last week. We are working with their tech team to add in activity reporting to PractiScore. It will initially be for Level 1 matches, expect by request for L2/L3.

I'll keep you posted.

Do you envision this logging to be a source for backups as well? I'm always afraid of a nook dieing in the field for a big match and losing the scores since the last sync. ...

That's why we do the paper backup scoresheets, and it's required for Lvl2 or higher matches. (9.11.2) For lvl2 matches, we've created a 5.5x8 traditional-sized scoresheet printed on 2-part ncr paper. You handle it like a regular scoresheet and copy the numbers from the summary screen to the form (the fields are presented in the exact same order as to make it that much easier), RO and competitor sign it as usual, the stage/match keeps the original and the competitor gets the yellow copy.

practiscore lvl2-3 stage summary scoresheet.pptx.pdf

Edited by wgnoyes

Quick FYI... the USPSA HQ and NiftyBytes came to an agreement on activity reporting last week. We are working with their tech team to add in activity reporting to PractiScore. It will initially be for Level 1 matches, expect by request for L2/L3.

That's awesome news.

Definitely. If necessary. The results can be filtered, so you can see all for a squad, a shooter, or a stage.

I rely on frequent syncing to handle devices dying. We are gearing up to add cloud sync, where a device's data goes to the cloud for synching and for backup.

That would be seriously awesome. We are already provisioning a wifi mesh network (lots of APs) for our coverage, but don't have an internet gateway attached yet. If this comes, we will definitely be adding one. Even with the frequent syncing, we still have the possibility of having to do a reshoot, but that's why we have paper for now. However, the paper is yet another burden to put on the RO and scorer. They have enough things to deal with.

I thought the paper backup would be more of a hassle, but having run through 2 matches with Nooks and paper backup, it really hasn't been the case. The time to scribble down the aggregate hits and time was previously devoted to adding up target scores (usually incorrectly and incomplete).

We use a single sheet that accommodates the entire squad's scores on that stage, no carbons or signatures or time-of-day because it's only L1.

FYI we ran Practiscore for battle in the bluegrass this past weekend. Tab like a charm. My stats guy even got to come out of the stats shack for most of the match unlike Ezwin! We ran I devices for the match and just had a couple little issues but nothing major b

One question I had was does the devices have to be on the sync screen to sync? It was a pain to stop the scoring to sync.

FYI we ran Practiscore for battle in the bluegrass this past weekend. Tab like a charm. My stats guy even got to come out of the stats shack for most of the match unlike Ezwin! We ran I devices for the match and just had a couple little issues but nothing major b

One question I had was does the devices have to be on the sync screen to sync? It was a pain to stop the scoring to sync.

Yeah, as Eugene says, you can pull scores from the stages without interrupting them and they never know it's happening.

I thought the paper backup would be more of a hassle, but having run through 2 matches with Nooks and paper backup, it really hasn't been the case. The time to scribble down the aggregate hits and time was previously devoted to adding up target scores (usually incorrectly and incomplete).

We use a single sheet that accommodates the entire squad's scores on that stage, no carbons or signatures or time-of-day because it's only L1.

This is my lvl1 form. It assumes 6 stages. The shooters carry their scoresheets around from stage to stage. People were not writing down the stage numbers on the other form, so sometimes I didn't know what came from where. Also squads can order their scoresheets in whatever order they like independent of the devices and present their shooting order to the RO when they arrive just like they used to.

Yeah, you need paper backup.

new lvl1 stage summary scoresheet.pptx.pdf

Another alternative is a squad worth of shooters on a single sheet of paper, and the paper stays at the stage (we use stage buckets to hold pasters, pens, timer, etc). Whoever is building the buckets ahead of time can write the stage # at the top of the sheets and include a few extras. I'll try to find the template we use, it's around here somewhere....

Another alternative is a squad worth of shooters on a single sheet of paper, and the paper stays at the stage (we use stage buckets to hold pasters, pens, timer, etc). Whoever is building the buckets ahead of time can write the stage # at the top of the sheets and include a few extras. I'll try to find the template we use, it's around here somewhere....

Only problem with that is the shooters have to write their name on every stage. Individual score sheets per shooter only requires them to do it once.

But it's a free world, you can do it any way you like. :cheers:

Not really a problem -- whoever is playing clipboard stand just copies the shooting order down real quick when the squad arrives at the stage (really only need first names or first + initial) from the squad list on Practiscore, we usually hit the Random button to mix things up. Competitors never touch the sheet unless they take a turn as RO. It also makes it easy to call out the shooting order for anyone not paying attention.