Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing PractiScore

Brian N.

Eugene...that is great if you can pull it off. I'd even go as far as to create our regular shooters in a alphabetized logbook containing registration info and QR code for each shooter/division...register with a camera phone on the logbook, all registered, sync to the Nooks. Walk-ons and new shooters would require manual input unless we had a laptop with a QR code generator on it...which would work. Good stuff.

Any idea of a timeframe when the Steel Challenge version will be released...i.e. timeplus with excluding longest string time.

Edited by Mark R

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Time Plus has problems too. We only count the 4 fastest runs out of 5 strings. You have to manually add penalties (or subtract Options) and manually zero out the worst stage. Yes, it can be done, as we have scored several Steel matches with PS....but they do plan at some point to fully support Steel without having the added steps needed now.

I hope this could be put on the "front burner" .....we shoot USPSA, SCSA Steel Challenge and Multi-Gun at our range.

Bob

Bob, there is also a need to support for IPSC Handgun, Shotgun and Rifle maches. The only question is which "burner" is on front of the other...

PS: for the record I don't shoot IDPA, SC or MultiGun.

Bob, there is also a need to support for IPSC Handgun, Shotgun and Rifle maches. The only question is which "burner" is on front of the other...

PS: for the record I don't shoot IDPA, SC or MultiGun.

If I had a vote, I'd vote for IDPA as the next focus for development of a dedicated match type & results output. Of course we will all vote for what we shoot.

Electronic scoring has a very small penatration in IDPA compared to other sports. Partly due to lack of endoresment by IDPA HQ but more so at the club level there is a lack of solutions that fill the need. SSI has a product but it is IMHO cumbersome. Practicscore is is great but it requires local input screen design and configuration plus it does not provide the insight IDPA compeators like to see in the results. They like to see Points, Procedural penelities, Hit to Non-threats, and Failrues to neturlize broken out (idealy per stage), not just penelity time.

The only reason we're using Practiscore is that as the MD I forced the issue and devote the extra time for tablet set up (which is still less time than data entry into a spreadsheet). No one has stopped shooting IDPA because of it but I still get a lot of "I wish I could see xyz".

On "burners"...

If you thought what we do has been universally embraced by the various sport organizations you would be quite wrong.

I talked to IDPA HQ 1.5 years ago and they rebuffed me. Nor did any of the IDPA oriented vendors line up to sponsor. Not like STI or MGM, which said "what do you need and when". So we said to hell with it at the time, since none of us do it anymore, or in Eugene's or Devin's case, have ever done it.

So any recent IDPA support we do is purely out of love for the participants or because of cross-over from supporters in the world we live in.

I'd rather do IPSC frankly, to support Eugene, who is working hard when PractiScore doesn't even yet fully support his game. To his credit, we were into IDPA on the iOS side when he joined and he's making the Android version line up.

In terms of visibility into scoring data, we are first working on capturing IDPA scoring information, then once that is right, we will spit out interesting reports. Those are pretty easy. I participated in technical discussions last night til 1AM EST, trying to understand the rather poorly written IDPA rule book, and questions like how many steel are permitted. The rule book says 25%, and with an 18 round course of fire, that means 4.5 (so is that 4 or 5?), but I've been to many matches that had 7 or 8 pieces of steel. Or more. So who knows. Anyway, we are plodding along with it. We've also brought in ForScore's author Jane Fleming, for discussions on integration, which was part of the tech discussions last night. I expect we will see quick progress on that side too.

Anyway, just to stop needless discussion on it, the burners are this order... IDPA will be next. Then a task I can't announce right now, but you will like. Then IPSC (so we can support one of our team). Then LIII match support for my Area 1 match. Then Steel Challenge string and related support.

Please remember that all of this happens after our day jobs. I know you want it now, and that's understandable, but we have obligations elsewhere frequently that can interfere. So be gentle with us.

(-:

Ken N.

Ken...I realize you are trying to get USPSA on the band wagon with Practiscore. If I were you, I would think about the burner order you stated above. The USPSA board may have a little tendency to move faster on Practiscore if it supported USPSA and Steel Challenge matches, since both are programs within the USPSA realm.

Just my opinion, but something to think about.

I installed the 1.0.17 version of PractiScore on our Nooks and did a little bit of testing. I was surprised to see that the error handling of the scoring process was not very fool proof. There is nothing to stop someone from inputting an invalid time or target hits then getting all the way to the "Save" step before it posts an error.

For example, you could have invalid scores for targets (1 or 3 hits per target instead of 2 hit per target) or even incomplete scores and it will allow you to click on the "Review" button and then the "Save" button before it notifies you that there is an issue. Inputting a valid time and valid hits for each target should be a requirement to be met before the "Review" button even becomes active. This will help resolve scoring issues close to real time so that the RO's can stop the taping of targets in order to resolve the issue real time. If the error is posted after the "Save" button is clicked that is usually way past the time the RO's can go back and double check hits on targets. Realistically from a target scoring input perspective, the software shouldn't allow the next target to be scored until the current target is scored properly.

The next thing that is confusing is on the Review screen as it lists target data points that do not exist on the stage. For example, you could have an all paper target stage and the review screen still shows a line item for Steel, or No Penalty Mikes, and stuff like that. The other thing that is confusing is that the hit factor math is calculated and listed even when an invalid score has been entered. It shouldn't list a hit factor unless all of the scoring data points have valid inputs. When you have unscored targets or invalidly scored targets it shouldn't even attempt to calculate the hit factor.

Cha-lee could you please enter those issues in PS bug tracker. I'll look at that on next iteration. Trying to convince Ken to ditch separate targets screen and score all on one screen, so it will be moo point to fix the target screen.

BTW, the app does check completeness when review button taped on time entry screen, but I may have overlooked it on target scoring screen.

Cha-lee could you please enter those issues in PS bug tracker. I'll look at that on next iteration. Trying to convince Ken to ditch separate targets screen and score all on one screen, so it will be moo point to fix the target screen.

BTW, the app does check completeness when review button taped on time entry screen, but I may have overlooked it on target scoring screen.

I am not sure where the PS Bug Tracker is. I sent an e-mail to the support address listed on the PractiScore website with my suggestions.

I am not sure where the PS Bug Tracker is. I sent an e-mail to the support address listed on the PractiScore website with my suggestions.

https://practiscore.com/bugs/

You'll need to register

btw: Mark, none of this is months and months. I feel less pressure on Steel because it can be done already, I know, we do it twice weekly. Yes, we want to have a stage library, and yes, an option to throw out the worst string, but using the string/string penalty technique it's pretty easily handled now. Only other key feature would be a bullet time of flight option to add in to times for world record calculation (this only applying to bigger steel challenge matches).

The USPSA reticence about the PS integration has never been about me, or PractiScore, or NiftyBytes, I mean heck, I'm MD for 3 LIII matches this year, we get along terrific. It's been more about internal processes and making sure a key $ thing for them isn't messed up. A concern I shared, as a member and also friend with most of the HQ staff. They understand the weekly hell we go through with the ezWS stuff. We are working through those concerns, I'll report when I know more.

Regards,

Ken N.

What kind of reception have you received from Alexakos and Vince Pinto and others at IPSC?

You may want this quote from developer of official IPSC scoring software:

---

Aeon Innovation™ is a Microsoft BizSpark startup company that provides competitive shooting sports scoring and statistics to the International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC), via its website and Windows-based programs. Its short-term vision is to facilitate distributed processing by provisioning an embedded webserver within its Windows-based client that performs networked scoring activities at the shooting range, and expanding its centralized webserver capabilities to provide interim and final match results as provided from the said client. Aeon Innovation™ intends to expand its offerings to accommodate additional shooting organizations and keep its competitors at bay.

---

PS: Not sure why they want to keep me "at bay" :D

Sounds like a challenge. :goof:

This month's Front Sight magazine had a mention from Phil Strader, saying he plans to meet with competitors at each Nationals match this year for ideas and discussion. I plan to lobby (and spread the word) that we want Practiscore to be supported and endorsed by the home office, and that resources should be devoted to getting you guys what you need to help us run matches. Whether that means financial support or just cooperation with their database guys or classifier access, or whatever, I think we should all be vocally pushing for it.

Jester121 - thanks. Look me up there. I'd love to meet you, and all PractiScore users. In fact, I've been toying with a PractiScore Users Meeting, but I don't want to formally commit to it yet, because my main priority at Nationals is a smooth match and my MD duties.

Just so you know, we've been working with HQ to figure it out. We are all good friends, and we are sensitive to their concerns, and I know they are concerned about the weekly battles we fight with ezws. I'm pretty confident we will have something sorted out well before Nationals.

Note that we won't be using PS at Nationals even with me as MD. At least not in the conventional device at every stage approach. We will be at Area 1 though.

Regards,

Ken N.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to revisit this keyboard issue on the Nook Simple Touch, can anyone recommend a workaround? We have a match coming up on the 24th and I wanted to start using Practiscore, but I think the decimal point thing is a showstopper. I haven't had any luck with loading a different keyboard, and the thread kind of took a sharp left turn a couple pages back.

Just to revisit this keyboard issue on the Nook Simple Touch, can anyone recommend a workaround? We have a match coming up on the 24th and I wanted to start using Practiscore, but I think the decimal point thing is a showstopper. I haven't had any luck with loading a different keyboard, and the thread kind of took a sharp left turn a couple pages back.

Use the hacker's keyboard, it works great.

Download hacker's keyboard:

https://code.google....es/detail?id=57

Download Nook Color Tools:

http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=868366

Install both via ADB:

MacBook-Air:nook$ adb install NookColorTools_0.2.apk

527 KB/s (12130 bytes in 0.022s)

pkg: /data/local/tmp/NookColorTools_0.2.apk

Success

MacBook-Air:nook$

MacBook-Air:nook$ adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system

MacBook-Air:nook$ adb push hkeyboard.apk /system/app

250 KB/s (1282145 bytes in 5.005s)

MacBook-Air:nook$ adb reboot

Then using nook color tools, select hacker's keyboard as your keyboard.

s47Spx2l.jpg

Edited by pdice

Ok thanks pdice, I was 70% of the way there, I couldn't figure out how that I needed Nook Color Tools to swap keyboards, and that I needed ADB to install that stuff. I kept getting errors trying to move stuff around. I'll give that try!