Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing PractiScore

Brian N.

Until we adopted PractiScore, I had actually begun to dread match weekends. I loved the shooting, but the job of manually entering all the damned score sheets hung over either my or one other person in the club. None others have ever entered scores in the ~17 years I've been involved in Match Scoring at our club...

Bob

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd love to see some integrated in-app upgrade capability... I maintain 8 Nooks, and have them all set up with the same Google account; only a couple of them will let me download PractiScore updates from Google Play (long story, but it's apparently related to the devices thinking that it is already installed since it has already been downloaded/installed on the other Nooks set up on the same Google account). For all the others, I have to go to the PractiScore site, download the apk, and install manually.. not a big deal really, but annoying to have to do over and over again on multiple devices.

I'd love to see some integrated in-app upgrade capability... I maintain 8 Nooks, and have them all set up with the same Google account; only a couple of them will let me download PractiScore updates from Google Play (long story, but it's apparently related to the devices thinking that it is already installed since it has already been downloaded/installed on the other Nooks set up on the same Google account). For all the others, I have to go to the PractiScore site, download the apk, and install manually.. not a big deal really, but annoying to have to do over and over again on multiple devices.

Can't you create separate google accounts for each device? They are free after all...

I have a couple questions that maybe can be answered quickly and concisely in non technical terms.

I have imported our preregistration file successfully, however it does not have classifications in it. In ExWin I can do this and import the current classifier update file and update the match, is there a utility to do this in Practiscore?

Thanks

Can't you create separate google accounts for each device? They are free after all...

Yep, I could. But it would be kind of a pain to do, so in the mean time I have just been doing manual PractiScore updates.

• 2 weeks later...

For quick updates for the application, you guys need to start using Dropbox on all your Nooks... Then just copy the .APK file to DB, open it in the file manager (you do have a file manager on your Nooks right?), and install it from the single sync'd DropBox directory. Not to mention we use DB for all kinds of other things.

And while I had to take a little break due to real work... We've been scoring matches with PS not for almost a year... Haven't gone to paper one time since. Next to Ken, I'm betting that Chris and I have score more matches with PS than just about anyone. At one time we were scoring 10 matches a month and in most cases we score at least 6 and usually 8. 2 weekly clubs and 2 sometimes 3 outdoor monthly matches...

Not bragging, but I don't know what we'd do if we had to go back to paper. And Thanks To Chris (JCWREN to some of you), he's created all kinds of little tools to make the integration with SSI functional and solve some issues even with EZWS....

Ken, and team just keep up the good work and as you know we put good words in with you with area and section all the time from this part of the US...

Alan

For quick updates for the application, you guys need to start using Dropbox on all your Nooks... Then just copy the .APK file to DB, open it in the file manager (you do have a file manager on your Nooks right?), and install it from the single sync'd DropBox directory. Not to mention we use DB for all kinds of other things.

That's what I do. You do have to have a micro-sd card in the nook in order for dropbox to work right, so when I sit down to do an application update of my nook fleet, I just swap the card from nook to nook in turn and it doesn't really take long. My advice as a systems programmer, however, is that just because you can do it does not mean that you should to upgrade to the latest and greatest version of PS that just came out the day before your match. You shouldn't, unless you know for certain that the new one will fix a problem you are currently experiencing. In general, let someone else bleed instead. When you know for certain that the new release is usable based on feedback from the battlefield, THEN its okay to upgrade. I'm still running 1.0.12, for instance, as I've heard there are .psc file import problems with 1.0.15.

Ran into a minor issue this week and thought everyone should know...especially if you register folks in Excel and use Practiscore to import scores.

We were getting ready for a match and registering walk-ons on a laptop. In a bit of a hurry, I saved the file as a CSV (or thought I did) and Excel decided it knew better than me. It named the file "<regfilename>.csv.xls". Well I didn't pay attention (user error) and connected the master Nook to the PC using the USB cable and copied the registration file to the Nook.

When I went into Practiscore, then to the sync page, and finally to import registration, it took me to the file system, but through the Practiscore interface, I could not see the registration file. Seems Practiscore is coded to only look for files ending in .CSV... I exited and using a file explorer I could see the files, but not while in Practiscore.

Quick note...while in file explorer, someone clicked on the csv.xls file and it asked to open it via text reader or Practiscore. Selecting PS, the registration went into PS.

Bottom line: If you using registration import...ensure it is named with a CSV file extension.

I'm still running 1.0.12, for instance, as I've heard there are .psc file import problems with 1.0.15.

I'd really like to learn more about those .psc import problems...

BTW, we just posted 1.0.16 to the web site (it won't be on Google Play for some time). Besides few minor fixes, there are changes in scoring workflow:

• On the "Scoring Shooters List" screen, taping on shooter that has complete scores now open "Review" screen.
  • On the "Scoring Shooter" screen Save button is replaced with Review button
  • "Review" screen now have either Save or Edit button (depends where it was called from)
  • Basically, to save results you now have to tap Review button to see "Review" screen where can tap Save button

Found something in 1.0.16. If you go into an existing shooter's score, you get sent to the review summary screen. The cmdbuttons at the bottom are labeled "back" and "edit". If you press the "details" cmdbutton at the top, you get that screen, but the labels of the cmdbuttons at the bottom change to "B" and "E". If you press the "summary" cmdbutton at the top to go back to the previous view, you get it, but the labels at the bottom are still abbreviated.

I like the flow; it forces you to the review screen. There should be less of a chance now of not saving the competitor's score, though if the operator was paying attention, there should not have been any reason to miss that anyway.

Edited by wgnoyes

USPSA match, nook simple touch.

Oh, and just found out something in synching. If stage has been thrown out on an ios device and not on a receiving android device, when you sync from ios to android, the stage does not get updated as thrown out on the android. 1.0.16 on android, but I remember seeing this on prior versions. Stage does get thrown out when syncing ios to iOS, but the stages appearing after that one are renumbered, and THAT is a big problem, as at that point, I doubt export/import back to ezws with stages already defined is going to work.

Edited by wgnoyes

One issue I found with the Nook under firmware 1.2.x - Barnes and Nobel changed the keyboard slightly and now there is no period on the numerical keyboard page. So if I want to enter the time of "10.12" I have to enter the "10", hit the Alpha character to get back to the alpha keyboard, hit period, hit the number character to get back to the numerical keyboard then type in "12". Major pain. Would be much much gooder to just have practiscore automatically enter the period at the last two numbers every time.

IE - if I want to enter "10.12" I enter "1012" and practiscore automatically enters the period to make it "10.12". If I want to enter "20.00" I enter "2000" and it automatically enters the period to make it "20.00". This can be programmed to allow the user to enter the period if they choose ie If I enter a period do nothing but if I do not enter a period add it at the last two numbers.

Since the timer never displays lower than two decimal places this seems like a natural solution.

One issue I found with the Nook under firmware 1.2.x - Barnes and Nobel changed the keyboard slightly and now there is no period on the numerical keyboard page. So if I want to enter the time of "10.12" I have to enter the "10", hit the Alpha character to get back to the alpha keyboard, hit period, hit the number character to get back to the numerical keyboard then type in "12". Major pain.

What PS version for Android are you using? What match type? What is the exact 1.2.x version and how did you root it? Could you email picture of your keyboard layout to support@practiscore.com ?

PS: generally it's better to report issues like that to PS bug tracker at https://practiscore.com/bugs/ or to support@practiscore.com it is much easier to track issues for us

1.2.1 FW on the NST and 1.0.15 PS version. I rooted via the process documented here : http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=166830 which BTW is super super easy and all graphical. I'm re-rooting all the other club nooks to this method since it is so complete and offers easy customization.

I'll post pictures and post it in the bugs page tonight when I get off work.

I like the flow; it forces you to the review screen. There should be less of a chance now of not saving the competitor's score, though if the operator was paying attention, there should not have been any reason to miss that anyway.

+1 much better work flow

1.2.1 FW on the NST and 1.0.15 PS version. I rooted via the process documented here : http://www.brianenos...howtopic=166830 which BTW is super super easy and all graphical. I'm re-rooting all the other club nooks to this method since it is so complete and offers easy customization.

I'll post pictures and post it in the bugs page tonight when I get off work.

Keyboard issue fixed in 1.0.16

NOT! The 1.2.1 firmware changes the keyboard. 1.0.16 and 1.1.0 firmware had the right keyboard, 1.0.16 and 1.2.1 does not. Here is a picture.

Practiscorekeyboard_zpsaa111e85.jpg

Edited by ctay

So wait a minute. Under 1.0.16 and 1.1.0 firmware, I get a decent-looking 10-key pad for time entry. That keypad is provided by the firmware, and not by ps? And under the 1.2.1 firmware, you get THAT stuff as shown above? Any way PS can just put up it's own custom keyboard and be done with all this release-dependent stuff? Unless I'm mistaken, the ipad time entry keyboard is ps software instead of ios-provided, so I think it's already been done before.

Where do you find the dropbox directory in andexplorer? I don't see it. Are you able to use dropbox on your nooks without a microsd card in the slot?

Not bragging, but I don't know what we'd do if we had to go back to paper. And Thanks To Chris (JCWREN to some of you), he's created all kinds of little tools to make the integration with SSI functional and solve some issues even with EZWS....

No please, go right ahead and brag! You all have developed so many different utilities and procedures to make this work, there's no reason in the world other than just breaking down and buying the devices that ANY club couldn't go to electronic scoring.

(A written treatise on how we make all this come together would be nice just in case one of us gets run over by a truck on the way to our respective ranges!)

So wait a minute. Under 1.0.16 and 1.1.0 firmware, I get a decent-looking 10-key pad for time entry. That keypad is provided by the firmware, and not by ps? And under the 1.2.1 firmware, you get THAT stuff as shown above?

That's right. Its a bummer man.