Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 disassembly help

Norther

Well, I decided it was past time to detail strip my SA 1911 Trophy Match .45, something I all too rarely do. I figured that while I was at it, I'd swap out some parts, both to upgrade and so I'd have some spare fitted parts.

I got the frame stripped down and cleaned up. Tried the new Caspian ambi locking safety in the bare frame, seemed good. Removed it. Fitted the new Infinity trigger, and went on to install the Extreme Engineering disconnector, sear, and hammer. Got the EGW titanium extra-length (which appears to be slightly shorter than the stock SA part) strut on the hammer, and put it all together. Noted the disconnector at the top where it goes through the frame is smaller diameter than the stock part, but decided to try it anyway.

I got the thumb safety in somehow, but...now I can't get it apart. It will not go up at all, and thumb safeties need to be up a little to be removed. Peering through the magwell, it appears the large projection (name??) on the safety is hitting my new sear, preventing it from moving upward from the full off position. More to fitting this thing than I guessed at first, but now it won't come apart. Any suggestions?

Also, on a side note, can anyone tell me how the ejector is held in place? I thought there was a roll pin through the frame just below the slide rail, in the groove, but not on this pistol. Is it press-fit?

With the hammer cocked, put a rag on the thumb safety lever and grab it with a pair of pliers. Wiggle the lever up and down and try to pull it out.

Good idea, but with the safety in the off position, the side projection of the safety extends downward inside the frame, preventing removal.

Also, on a side note, can anyone tell me how the ejector is held in place? I thought there was a roll pin through the frame just below the slide rail, in the groove, but not on this pistol. Is it press-fit?

SA uses red locktite on their ejectors...

Okay, After thinking for a minute...Is something keeping the sear from moving? Make sure the trigger is free to move and that the new disconnector is allowing the sear to move freely.

Trigger moves freely, disconnector and sear move a bit but not sure if they move their whole range of motion. That side projection of the thumb safety has a notch on its front edge, and the tail of the sear seems to be stuck in it, which is what seems to be preventing the safety from moving upwards. I'm guessing this part of the safety should have been fitted before assembly. It seems a bit bigger than the stock one.

Red locktite and that's it? Heat it and pull it out? I've decided in light of my other difficulties to leave it be, but I would like to know...

Red locktite and that's it? Heat it and pull it out? I've decided in light of my other difficulties to leave it be, but I would like to know...

Yes, that's it...no need to take it out, unless it's broken, and you are replacing it...

Actually, I believe there'd be more play/ room at "Half-Cock" then follow suggestion #2..

What type ambi-safety is it? Some are removed 1st from the right, and some 1st from the left..

It sounds as though it's already been forced together, you will need to force it apart..; 1911's

don't really have "Drop-In" interchange-ability for the most part and are pretty closely fitted...

Edited by gunfixer

The left side of the Caspian locking safety must be removed first.

After a bit of study, I'll restate the problem using better terminology. What I've been calling the "safety projection" is the sear block stud.

The problem seems to be that the sear block stud needed to be fitted to the sear before assembly. The forward surface of the sear block stud is a V shape, with the top of the V facing forward--more like this > . The bottom leg bears against the back of the sear to prevent its movement when the safety is on. On this unfitted safety, the bottom leg is too long, and cannot swing up past the sear. The back of the sear is trapped in the V, preventing the safety from being engaged.

The sear block stud has a retaining shoulder that engages the frame, preventing the safety's removal from the frame while it is in the down position.

Somehow, I got the safety installed in such a way that these two features are preventing any movement or removal. I didn't think I forced anything, but it is apparent that I must have. At this point, I don't see any way to force it back off that won't risk damaging other components or the frame. I'm thinking I'm going to have to cut it off and start over with a new safety. Maybe I can think of a way to fit the sear block stud in place, but it's so tight in there I doubt it.

I'm learning a lot, anyway. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Actually, I believe there'd be more play/ room at "Half-Cock"

You got it! Success!

By pressing against the sear with a small screwdriver up the magwell, and pressing the safety upwards hard, I was able to make it work with the hammer at half cock. No further butchery required. Thanks.

what you want to do, and I might have missed if this was already given, but you want to cock the hammer all the way back, as far as you can into the grip safety, hold it back, and THEN wiggle out the thumb safety. It got in, so it will get out.

and for all intents and purposes, ALL thumb safeties need to be fit to the sear, so if youre going to do any initial fitting, or seeing where things go, do it without the grip safety on. That way you can see what youre doing at the safety boss/sear engagement.

good luck

Actually, I believe there'd be more play/ room at "Half-Cock"

You got it! Success!

By pressing against the sear with a small screwdriver up the magwell, and pressing the safety upwards hard, I was able to make it work with the hammer at half cock. No further butchery required. Thanks.

I'm glad you got it.. Did it teach you a new language..?!? :cheers: