Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trauma kits

XDmgunner

You only want to apply direct pressure to a wound, you put a tourniquet on a limb-you stop the blood flow, but will most likly lead to it having to be removed. Of course getting help fast is #1.

Just went through a solid, thorough first aid class last weekend, aimed at the kinds of injuries we could encounter on the gun range - but also in car wrecks, etc. Current theory, based on experience gained in the sandbox and elsewhere, is that the tourniquet is the first thing you do for severe bleeding. You need to know how to use it, you can't just apply it and crank it down willy nilly (because you will do damage to the limb if you do). You also add a pressure dressing to the wound. As long as the thing isn't going to be on for more than 6-8 hours, and you applied it correctly, they won't have a limb-loss issue. You don't use this for things that are not severe trauma to the limb - I mean, if a band aid, or a little pressure is good, it's good. If they're spurting blood out all over the place, or the bloods just running out of them like mad, you have severe trauma.

Even Wikipedia notes a current study that shows that "Analysis has shown that in cases of major limb trauma, there is no apparent link between tourniquet application and morbidity of the limb."

Again, correct application is key, here. Learn how to use it before you go doing it to someone in the field.

Realize that proper application of the QuikClot gauge products (they're only useful for packing the wound, in the end) amounts to practicing medicine without a license (any invasive procedure - which includes sticking anything inside of anyone... for medical purposes... ph34r.gif - is practicing medicine!). Be prepared to deal with the consequences if you are not a doc! Same goes for darting someone's chest to relieve pressure from tension pneumothorax... You better not screw either thing up if you decided to do them to someone else... ph34r.gif

Best suggestion I can give to anyone BEFORE you buy any trauma kit is get training first. As a Navy Corpsman, BLS intructor, ACLS, CLS intstructor, EMT, TCCC, etc... I have seen my fair share both in the both the military side and civilian side of things that when someone, even with the best intentions in mind, w/o tranining, go horribly wrong which required me to do more than the original injury called for. So again, get training first. Even a simple BLS card from the American Heart Association will help stems problems and avoid missconceoptions. Oh dont get me wrong, a first aid kit is great, but without prpoer training, and even more on he side of legality, a certifiaction or licence dont dive into getiing more than that.

Here is a odd bit of knowledge I gained...when doing chest compressions, it should match the beat to the song "Staying Alive" from the Bee Gee's.

I've heard that before and the AHA has a new method now (fy 2011) that now requires AT lEAST 100 chest compression /min. It was orginally just "about 100". In addition the whole idea of ABC's (airway, breathing, circulation) has now been changed to CAB as someone can bleed out faster w/ a serious injury (<30sec) compared to how much the brain need to serviive w/o air (+/- 3min).

Quick clot... oh jesus, a EMTs worst nightmare (more or less a pet peeve to me). This stuff BURNS! The military has actually recently stop issuing these in IFAKs due to that. If used improperly it can be FATAL. Only used on extremeities. Since its granular form, if it ever enters any area that involves airway, imagine that burning/cloting factor in your lungs. Best suggestion is CombatGauze by quickclot. None of the burning and has a larger array of applications.

Tourniquets... unless you HAVE NO OTHER OPTION, avoid it. Military and "tactical communities", yes do apply first (but were talking about civilian applications where EMS will more thna likely be involved). Civilian world... its considered a no-no and unless you have a damn good explination to the EMT and the hospital when they write up the report (like your tried direct pressure first, point pressure, dressings, etc). Direct pressure has been proven to stop 90% of bleeds when done correctly. Reson behind it is most cases people cant apply a tourniquet correctly in the first place.

About traning courses, not to start a debate on who is better than what... it will not hold up in court unless its a national/registered certifiaction if something goes wrong. I have had an argument with a "gun nut/gear ****" who had taken said courses and gun courses. All I have to say is "do you have a BLS card" and is that course nationally recongnized. If not, get the F*** out of my way if there is an injury. THERE IS a divide between military/tactical and EMT methods. Being both I know them. Most of these tactical trauma courses focus on that military/tactical aspect. THIS WILL NEVER compare to EMT tranining. We go through long schooling and hours on-the-job-traning before we get our certs, not some 1-3 day course that all that means to me is a piece a paper and a pat on the back. Dont get me wrong, i've done them, but its because more or less I was told to.

Needles D's, IV's (especcially IVs as its considered medication), chest tubes, etc. are considered invasive. Do not attemp if you never had the traning/certification... period.

Now, on a lighter note. Once you do recieve traning and certs. Try North American Rescue. Great bags, great kits, great prices, etc. Now with that, also carry it everywhere if you plan on getting one. You never know when you need it. One time at a local USPSA match, someone shot themself. The day before, I took my bag out of my SUV. Luckly there was another medic with his bag there and we patched him up, packaged him up and EMS arrived and picked him up. The range also had a first aid bag. He had 5 holes in his leg that wentinto his upper thigh, out below his knee, into and out of his shin and into his toe. All it took was a few pressure bandages.

Edited by KTKlaus

You only want to apply direct pressure to a wound, you put a tourniquet on a limb-you stop the blood flow, but will most likly lead to it having to be removed. Of course getting help fast is #1.

Just went through a solid, thorough first aid class last weekend, aimed at the kinds of injuries we could encounter on the gun range - but also in car wrecks, etc. Current theory, based on experience gained in the sandbox and elsewhere, is that the tourniquet is the first thing you do for severe bleeding. You need to know how to use it, you can't just apply it and crank it down willy nilly (because you will do damage to the limb if you do). You also add a pressure dressing to the wound. As long as the thing isn't going to be on for more than 6-8 hours, and you applied it correctly, they won't have a limb-loss issue. You don't use this for things that are not severe trauma to the limb - I mean, if a band aid, or a little pressure is good, it's good. If they're spurting blood out all over the place, or the bloods just running out of them like mad, you have severe trauma.

Even Wikipedia notes a current study that shows that "Analysis has shown that in cases of major limb trauma, there is no apparent link between tourniquet application and morbidity of the limb."

Again, correct application is key, here. Learn how to use it before you go doing it to someone in the field.

Realize that proper application of the QuikClot gauge products (they're only useful for packing the wound, in the end) amounts to practicing medicine without a license (any invasive procedure - which includes sticking anything inside of anyone... for medical purposes... ph34r.gif - is practicing medicine!). Be prepared to deal with the consequences if you are not a doc! Same goes for darting someone's chest to relieve pressure from tension pneumothorax... You better not screw either thing up if you decided to do them to someone else... ph34r.gif

They didn't give us any of the quick clot....they proberly knew better...don't give a Infantryman anything more advanced than a MRE heater!

You really don't need that much. The most common injuries are going to be minor injuries to the hand so you want a supply of good quality bandaids and anti-bacterial ointment.

For serious wounds, some sterile 4x4's, a pressure bandage (sanitary napkins will work) and a quick tourniquet are worth having. Quick clot is good if you can get it. Some elastic gauze and an Ace bandage are always handy.

BUT, as others have pointed out, the single most important thing to have is training - and experience helps.

And if you've got a nicked artery -- you might really want that tourniquet, considering how far most ranges are from civilization, lest you end up with a dead patient with all limbs.... :D

They didn't give us any of the quick clot....they proberly knew better...don't give a Infantryman anything more advanced than a MRE heater!

As KTKlaus rightly pointed out, the original QuikClot granules were practically impossible to use, especially if there was any air flow around. But, how do you pour the things into a penetrative wound anyway? It just doesn't work, even if you know what you're doing...

The 2nd generation stuff apparently was reformulated to avoid the exothermic reaction (ie, they don't burn anymore), and there are other non-burning products on the market (Celox), but they don't work any better for the same reasons...

The Combat Gauze that he mentions is what I was talking about, too - using it effectively, though, on various wounds is tough, because you get into that whole invasive procedure thing...

And, as he also points out, if there's an EMT or doc, or other similarly skilled person around, get the hell out of the way and let them deal with it! :)

Some basic things would be

Tourniquet, combat gauze by quickclot, israeli bandage, tape, a piece of plastic( or an actual chest seal), npa(nasopharyngeal)and lube, needle for chest decompression, and kerlix

We all carry this stuff in our IFAK (individual first aid kit) in Afghanistan

I would highly recommend a cls(combat life saving) class

The army has a great fm(field manual) on this

Fm 3-21.75

https://rdl.train.army.mil/soldierPortal/atia/adlsc/view/public/24572-1/FM/3-21.75/chap3.htm

Enjoy

If you have any questions feel free to pm me

Edited by hax

Some basic things would be

Tourniquet, combat gauze by quickclot, israeli bandage, tape, a piece of plastic( or an actual chest seal), npa(nasopharyngeal)and lube, needle for chest decompression, and kerlix

We all carry this stuff in our IFAK (individual first aid kit) in Afghanistan

I would highly recommend a cls(combat life saving) class

The army has a great fm(field manual) on this

Fm 3-21.75

https://rdl.train.army.mil/soldierPortal/atia/adlsc/view/public/24572-1/FM/3-21.75/chap3.htm

Enjoy

If you have any questions feel free to pm me

This link goes a little more in depth with videos, etc: http://www.naemt.org/education/PHTLS/TCCC.aspx

It's the current TCCC (Tactical Casualty Combat Care) curriculum, and would be a good addition to the Army FM.

ETA: This is the trauma kit I keep in my truck. I wouldn't suggest a Cric kit if you don't have the training though.

http://www.narescue.com/media/NAR/product-info-sheets/PIS-NAR-4-Chest-Pouch.pdf

Edited by SV650Squid

A heart attack is more likely than a gunshot wound... I would take a basic first aid class, have some 4x4's, gauze, tape, eye wash, some band aids, neosporin, asprin, sugar packets, and for crying out loud...a CPR MASK! No one has mentioned that, and trust me, you don't want to have to mouth someone if you have a choice. There is nothing like having someone spew all over you. There are a lot of other things you can improvise, like splints etc...

Get some training and seek advice from your trainer. I would suggest taking a class from a local fire department if possible.

WG