Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

acog + m1a

Huck

Yeah, I've been through that, I have a homemade cheek peice that is held on with electrical tape, no style points but functional. I currently have a 10X mil dot on top and would like a little faster sight. It is a tack driver.

I did this as an experiment.

I have an ACOG I use on my AR15, so I tried in on my Bush rifle. I do not use this setup, I just put the ACOG on the mount to take this pic.

Here's a pic.

149594.JPG

The mount is Brookfield and the ACOG mount is an ARMS 19S; as you can see it sits very high. The ARMS 18 is a bit lower and you may be able to find an ACOG mount that will sit the scope a hair lower, but all in all what you see is what you get.

I tried looking through my ACOG and it's just too awkward. There's no cheek weld and you really can't get close enough to get optimal eye relief because of the full stock on the M14.

Huck

You may want to try this....

Get on the Springfield website, get one of the forward mount scope mounts that are now available and the heat sheild for the Scout/Squad rifle and put your Acog on it.

I have a Scout/Squad and an Aimpoint on it, the cheek weld is the same as shooting Iron sights.

GOOD LUCK M1A's RULE !!!!! :D

SAM

A traditional scope sits much lower than the ACOG. I had a Leupold Mark 4 M3 in ARMS 22L rings on the rifle and the rear eye piece of the scope was about 1/4 above the rear iron sight. With a cheek rest, the scope was easy to sight through with a good cheek weld.

I have an ARMS 18 and like previously stated, it's only about a 1/4" lower than the Brookfield. I believe a TA51 ACOG mount will also lower the ACOG, but only by 1/8".

The problem mounting an ACOG on a scout mount is the eye relief. The TA01B has an eye relief of 1.5" and the TA11 series has a 2.5" relief. The scout mount needs a scope with a good 7-8 inches of eye relief. The Burris Scout and Leupold Scout IER (Intermediate Eye Relief) scopes are great for the scout mount, but only give you 2-3X. I've tried the Burris, and it worked great.

From the pictures I've saw of US troops in Afganistan, there were a few Marines using the M14 w/ the Trijicon TA-11. They had them mounted either just forward or over the bolt. Couldn't see what type of mount they were using.

I spent some time over the weekend looking for where I saw the pics of the Marines w/ the ACOG on the M14, but didn't find it. I think it was in TIME <--note proper capitalization, but can't be 100% sure.

Check with Trijicon. They told me they were making an extended (rearward) mount for just that application. We tried a TA-1 on an M1A quite a while back and found it just to high to be really useful but if you really want to Trijicon can probable hook you up!! KURTM

I had a TA01B on a FAL for a short time. It's a great sight, but the problem I had was from the recoil. The eye relief is 1.5" and I kept getting smacked in the glasses from the recoil.

I think the TA11 series is a better choice for a .308 rifle since it has a longer eye relief -- 2.4". I used a TA11E and found it much better and more forgiving on the recoil.