Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taurus 1911

Mrdwayne0405

I know of no product of which the American-manufactured product is inferior to a foreign-made one. The American worker cannot compete on price, but there should be zero doubt that a US-made product is superior in every imaginable way to that which is made overseas, except price.

It's nice to be patriotic, but..........

Have you ever worn a really nice Italian suit? Or a fine Swiss mechanical wristwatch? Have you ever driven a Mercedes-Benz? Or inspected a best English double side-by-side?

I know of no product of which the American-manufactured product is inferior to a foreign-made one. The American worker cannot compete on price, but there should be zero doubt that a US-made product is superior in every imaginable way to that which is made overseas, except price.

It's nice to be patriotic, but..........

Have you ever worn a really nice Italian suit? Or a fine Swiss mechanical wristwatch? Have you ever driven a Mercedes-Benz? Or inspected a best English double side-by-side?

Without making any comments toward the other products, you are aware that Mercades-Benz makes at least some of its cars in the USA, right?

Your examples mostly focus on the "design" aspect of the product, of which I would not argue that American engineers somehow have inevitably superior ideas before anyone else does.

On the other hand, the American worker seems to be able to demand a very high wage (comparatively) for a reason. That reason, primarily, is that he can produce a lot of high quality goods and services in less time.

It's not about being "brand loyal" or "patriotic." Foreign workers are perfectly capable of producing excellent products, and do. It is just hard to conceive of a product where the use of foreign labor produces a better product.

I would also say that if that weren't true, the brand name that you cite--associating it with quality--would probably be made somewhere besides the US--where labor is cheaper.

I bought one several years ago - PT1911 in .45ACP - just to see how it was built, quality wise, and how it would perform.

First thing after I got it I removed all the Series 80 "trash" from it and added the little "widget" from Brownell's to take up the space from removing the 80 series part. Took the safety parts out of the hammer - inexpensive lightened hammer - and put it back together.

Didn't bother cleaning it and fired 700 rounds of reloads without a bobble. It has run pretty flawlessly since then.

Attached is a group I fired with it.

post-25077-0-55219800-1327431508_thumb.j

I haven't put as many rounds through my PT1911 as my Glocks and S&W's, but I haven't had any major hiccups with it either. I have put a few hundred downrange with it though... I understand I'm talking to some high octane folks on here and I asked here for that very reason! I value the opinions here and I know that most of you folks, you know who you are, are very knowledgable about firearms and the shooting sports. Trust me, I have thick skin! I don't mind you guys "shooting straight"...

The demographics of this forum seems to be mostly competitive shooters,, so getting on here and asking "why not a Taurus?" is kinda like going to the Porche forums and asking "why don't you race a Vw Golf instead?" or asking the Lexus dealer "why not a Honda civic"?

;)

I still like my Taurus, but after owning it for a while I understand what it is, and what it isn't.

Edited by SlowShooter

I am an elitist. I like having the best guns and using them as well as possible. I do not own a Taurus 1911. But, they ARE a bargain for what is gotten. Unlike other 1911s in the price range, the barrel and slide are hand fit and it shows.

If you can find a store with 4 or more you will find at least one of those 4 has an outstanding barrel and slide fitment. Compare it to the Sig, SW, and STI 1911s in the same store and you will be pleasantly surprised.

I for one have been EXTREMELY dissapointed with the fitments that STI and Kimber have been letting out of their factory as of late. The fact they are charging a grand or more for their 1911s with the slide to frame fit of a Glock or an XD is unexcusable.

BTW, Taurus pistols besides their 1911s are poorly put together junk, but their 1911s are hand fit exceptions to the Taurus rule in my experience.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a rec shooter, not comp my first handgun was a usp40 I have stuck with hk since because they feel the best in my hand. I now own 3 hk looking for more. I have a buddy I shoot with a lot he shoots a lot of Taurus hand guns. Revolvers and semi he has worn two revolvers out. He calls Taurus sends them back either fixed or new no bs. I buy hk if my hk is used their is no warranty Taurus does not care if you are the 10th owner. People buy dillon because of their great costermer service. Well Taurus needs to stay around longer to work all the kinks out. Taurus has great costermer service. And that is something to build on. If they stand behind them so will I.

I'm a rec shooter, not comp my first handgun was a usp40 I have stuck with hk since because they feel the best in my hand. I now own 3 hk looking for more. I have a buddy I shoot with a lot he shoots a lot of Taurus hand guns. Revolvers and semi he has worn two revolvers out. He calls Taurus sends them back either fixed or new no bs. I buy hk if my hk is used their is no warranty Taurus does not care if you are the 10th owner. People buy dillon because of their great costermer service. Well Taurus needs to stay around longer to work all the kinks out. Taurus has great costermer service. And that is something to build on. If they stand behind them so will I.