Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bear Creek and Universal

sroe3

Has anyone worked up a minor PF load with Bear Creek moly 9mm 125 TC and Universal Clays? I don't have a chrono yet. I'm shooting a FNP and XD with 4 inch barrels, mixed brass, cci or win spp.

I agree with CeeZeer. I use 4.5 to 4.6gr Universal under 124gr Zero FMJ to make 130 - 135 PF in my CZ. I'd start around 4.0gr Universal under the Bear Creek bullets. If the bullets do not have a lube groove, they will have a longer bearing surface and create a bit more friction in the bore, thereby requiring you to add .2 or .3gr more powder.

Chris

Just chronoed some precision 125 FPs over universal.

I was around 130PF with these two.

4.2 grn at 1.125

4.0 grn at 1.110

The latter is what I decided on. It shot nicely. BUT, it was too smokey for my tastes.

I have some American Select I am going to try under the same bullets, hopefully it will be less smokey???

Thanks all. I just finished loading and shooting 1250 rounds of Precision 125 fp over 4 grains Universal at 1.10. Nice to see the chrono was exactly where I was targeting. Sanders, was that a 4 inch barrel? The Bear Creek 125 TC have a slightly different shape so I think COL needs to be adjusted. I really need a chrono. Honey if you're reading this my birthday is in 2 weeks!

Compared to jacket or plated all moly seems smokey. Slower powders are supposed to be better provided the pressure is high enough for complete combustion. I deal with the smoke since I'm under $5 per 50.

I got nasty smoke from Universal Clays with BBI moly bullets. I'd recommend trying about 4gr WST instead. You may need a few tenths more than that to make PF.

Especially when loading strange bullets, you really should have and use a chronograph.

I use 4 grains of Solo 1000 @ 1.120".

I can't detect enough smoke to bother me no matter how fast I shoot, even indoors.

Moral of the story?

Try a faster powder, I think you'll be happier.

Like titegroup ? :goof:

• 1 month later...

I have finally been able to chrono my Bear Creek and Universal. Bear Creek 125 (actually 126.9) TC over 4g Universal, CCI SPP, 1.12 from a 4" FNP: 125 PF. 4.1g, 129. 4.2g, 132. 4.3g, 135. The XD 4" was 1 or 2 PF higher on all loads as the velocities were slightly faster. Also chrono'd Rainier 124 FP, 4.3g Universal, 1.06: 128PF. 45 degrees into a stiff headwind. Hard to check groups in that wind. I'll recheck chrono and groups on a nicer day. CE Prochrono Pal worked very well on a cloudy day, no skyscreens (afraid they might serve as wings in the wind today).