Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel for Steel challenge

quedude

I had plates made out of A36 carbon steel plate ; 3/8" thick.

I have shot 22LR & 9mm on them and they have been more than adequate. I made the mistake of shooting one of them with a 223 round and it punched a hole clean through. I welded it up & ground it flush and all is good. I do not shoot major pf on them so they look almost new.

Depending on you, 1/4" AR plate may be a better way to go. Not for durability but for weight. Depending on what you are looking to set up ant one time, 4 big rectangles plus five 12" plates & four 10" plates weigh a lot. I think that 1/4" for the 18 x 24 rectangles would be nice.

Thanks for info I bought three samples today 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 all a 38 and going to do some R & D with all calibers and load to see what will last. I will keep all posted.

You will be satisfied if you go with the 3/8 Ar400. :D

We did a steel test last night and the 3/8 A36 steel held up real well up to a 357 Mag after that we tried a super hot 30 super race gun and the steel dimpled a little but not as bad as I thought it would then I brought out the bid daddy my 44 mag and the steel dented all the way through. I think for the cost difference I'm going to go with the A36 3/8 thick steel.

I built a full set out of 5/16" T-1 steel. I have shot my 9mm open loads 1250+fps, and 45acp ball ammo, and their was no damage to the plates what so ever.

T-1 steel is quite a bit cheaper than AR stuff. I would say to use the AR if your going to shoot rifle rounds.

Edited by Bansheex