Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Tips?

blairmckenzie1

Looks to me like the main thing to work on is putting your shots on target consistently. You had issues hitting the plate rack and the other plates. I would spend some time shooting groups from a rest to be sure there was not something off wth my sights. Once you have confidence that you know your shots are going to go excactly where you have the sights when you press the trigger, you should gain the confidence to hit that steel first shot. I don't think any one thing would improve those runs like hitting that steel first shot.

Stage 1

Target sequence.... there are several positions where you are shooting away from the direction of where you want to go.

On Array 1 you shift left off the draw then shoot right to left. Probably would have been more efficient to shoot left to right.

Array 2 you shot the target on the right first then shifted back to get the target on left. I would have shot the left target as soon as stepping in the shooting area then shoot the right target on the move out.

Array 3...you could have shot the left target on the move in then shoot the final 3 paper from one position. Lots of leaning left then right then left.

Edited by Kali

Here is what I see....

Stage 1 - Gun malfunctions = Mega Fail. Your gun should run 100% all the time. Having multiple malfunctions through the same stage is pure wasted time. Get your equipment ironed out so it will run 100% all the time. As for your performance, look at your foot movements. You have a bunch of extra foot movement which is also wasting time. For example, at the start of the stage you shift your right foot back during the draw, then shift it forward as you transition to the other targets. You could have picked a single stance that would allow you to shoot that whole position without moving your feet. Others have already commented about your target engagement order so I won't waste time talking about it. The other thing I noticed is that you seem to be lost every time you enter a new shooting position. This is due to poor mental programming of the stage before you shoot it. You can't shoot a stage by "Winging it". You need to mentally program every aspect of the stage so you can execute it without any wasted movement or deer in the headlights moments where you are lost and looking for the next target to shoot. For the moving targets, such as swingers, you need to take two aimed shots at it as you track the moving target. Slinging 3 - 4 shots at it and "Hoping" that you will get your hits is not very effective.

Stage 2 - You need to focus on keeping the gun up and ready to shoot at all times when transitioning from one target array to another. For example, you shoot the first section, then pull the gun back to transition over to the plate rack then poke the gun back out to engage the plates. You could have simply kept the gun extended and transition directly to the plates. Every time you pull the gun back and poke it back out wastes at least 1 second of stage time. You can see on the plate rack that you are missing low left, which means that you are mashing the trigger and pulling your shots low left. You need to be able to break each shot cleanly without disturbing the sights. Mashing the trigger trying to go fast only makes you miss faster. As for the stage plan, it would have been faster if you moved to the far left as you loaded the gun then engaged the paper to the right of the plate rack, then the plate rack, then dove into the section you started on. Any time you can avoid changing left to right directions within the same shooting area is good. It does not make sense to take half a step to the right, then a full step to the left then move back to the right.

Stage 3 - Once again, you could have saved time by loading your gun as you moved to the far left, then shot the targets in the starting position second. Any time you are standing doing nothing but fiddling with your gun is a huge waste of stage time. Try to come up with a stage plan that has you multitasking, such as loading the gun while you move to a different shooting position. On this stage its obvious that you are looking for holes in the targets instead of staying on your sights and calling your shots. When engaging close targets its easy to get sucked into looking at the targets while shooting instead of your sights. But in reality your hit quality will always be worse when shooting this way. You need to force yourself to stay on your sights so you can always call your shots even if the target is 3 feet away. When you call your shots, mentally you KNOW that your hits is there or not so you don't have to look at the target to confirm your hits. This is where fast shooting really happens effectively. On the last steel array you are missing the plates low left again. Mashing the trigger is killing your accuracy.

I definitely agree about shifting back and forth. The worst part is I designed the stage and that was how I had planned to shoot it, just not how it happened....

Thanks

Stage 1

Target sequence.... there are several positions where you are shooting away from the direction of where you want to go.

On Array 1 you shift left off the draw then shoot right to left. Probably would have been more efficient to shoot left to right.

Array 2 you shot the target on the right first then shifted back to get the target on left. I would have shot the left target as soon as stepping in the shooting area then shoot the right target on the move out.

Array 3...you could have shot the left target on the move in then shoot the final 3 paper from one position. Lots of leaning left then right then left.

Keep em coming! thanks

Dude...... If you trained hard every day for the next 6 months on the things that have already been mentioned that would still probably not be enough time to optimize the shortcomings that have already been pointed out in your video's. Work on optimizing the low hanging fruit then once you get that solid you can worry about improving other things. Its easy to bite off more than you can chew then get overwhelmed. I am not trying to put you down. I am just trying to put things into perspective. Everyone has to learn how to crawl before they can walk, then walk before they can run. There is no "Short Cut" to hard work and effective training/practice.

Edited by CHA-LEE