Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCW 1911

Iggy42

I recently received my CCW permit and while it looks for the time being I will be carring my 5" 1911 I am looking into purchasing a Commander length 1911 (5" is just a bit big for me to carry). What I am wondering is if there is a reason why 4/4.25" guns are not really availible with full length dust covers. I see that Les Baer has one (Monolith Commanche), but that is pretty much it. I very much like the looks of the full dust cover, but I have to question why more guns are not made this way. Granted I highly doubt getting a Les Baer would be a bad choice I am really interested in a T3 Comp from NHC.

I have a good feeling that NHC could make me one with a full length dust cover if I wanted it, but I thought I would ask those with more knowledge/experience (which most of the people here are in those catagories) if there was a reason to avoid that in a daily carry gun.

Please pardon my spelling errors, at work and no working spell checker.

Most folks want to cut weight on a CCW gun, short barrel and full dust cover is kinda defeating the purpose.

I think the ideal carry 1911 is a CCO from Dan Wesson. LW frame officers frame and 4.25" slide.

But then, I carry a Airweight Smith and Wesson in my pocket, although I carried a 5" GM for years.

bill is on the right track. for most, the thought of carrying a 40oz gun all day is not a pleasant thought, its not to say it cant be done, i know some who choose to carry government 1911's. Most want to keep it light and compact. My carry gun is typically a kahr P9 or a S&W 642 and occasionally an HK. Its not hard to hide the barrel of a gun, its the grip frame that is. for a 1911, my ideal gun would be the dan wesson Commander bobtail.

For a 1911, I really like carrying my Ranger 2, but even at 33oz unloaded it can seem heavy sometimes, especially when IWB. If you really like the long dustcover look but want something that won't be too heavy, check out the new Tactical 4.0 (4.25in barrel, 33oz unloaded) or Tactical 3.0 (3.96in barrel, 30oz unloaded). Not only do these look great with the full length dust cover, they have a rail milled in to the slide...throw a light / laser on it and you have a home defense weapon that doubles for carry. While I prefer the .45, my Ranger 2 holds only holds 9 rounds of it...if you did go with a smaller tactical you could pack 12 rounds of .45, 15 rounds of .40 or 18 rounds of 9mm...that is some serious payload.

While I still like carrying my Ranger and only own 1911's, I think hkguy is on point with concealing it...the barrel is fine, it's the grip that is always printing. Now a Kahr is a great suggestion, but we don't speak of those in this forum :devil:

http://new.stiguns.com/the-sti-vip/

Been looking at these and really like the Hi-cap idea

I wish that they would sale the reduced grip length frame so you could get one have your gunsmith build on it

I have had this idea of a CCO style .40s&w carry gun

4 1/4 inch slide

bull barrel

reduced grip length

I have been thinking that on the grip if it was massaged just right and had a blended weld on magwell you could probably use a standard length mag, with the small base pad giving you 9+1 carry rounds

but if you went with the STI reduced frame and same top end with the right set up on the mags go 12+1 and have a reload mag of 20 rounds

Edited by JakeMartens

Just have your gunsmith build one from a 5.0" Tactical....with a hacksaw. :roflol:

This is a 4.20" barrel to stay within the rules for a bull barrel gun. Reduced grip length.

It uses 120mm, 126mm, 140mm etc. The last pic shows a standard length mag, with an STI stock 140 base pad. It fits flush. I use those for IDPA.

post-8536-0-84029200-1326923217_thumb.jp

post-8536-0-78064400-1326923236_thumb.jp

post-8536-0-34169600-1326923391_thumb.jp

Edited by want2race

Just have your gunsmith build one from a 5.0" Tactical....with a hacksaw. :roflol:

This is a 4.20" barrel to stay within the rules for a bull barrel gun. Reduced grip length.

It uses 120mm, 126mm, 140mm etc. The last pic shows a standard length mag, with an STI stock 140 base pad. It fits flush. I use those for IDPA.

Ummm...you do know they make a Tactical with a 4.15inch barrel and full dust cover? No hacksaw required :surprise:

I mention because OP seems really interested in having the full length cover, so 4.15 tactical would work. :cheers:

I think the full DC gun looks KOOL but I would prefer a SS and light weight frame....just me I guess. Probably should add in a Commander size SA. I carry a lightly modified Colt LW Officers ACP at the present time.

FWIW

Richard

Edited by chirpy

A Kimber, Compact CDP II in a Crossbreed Supertuck. Comfortable, light, compact, powerful and hidden. What more could you ask for?

This close enough?

1st generation Kimber from the custom shop. Aluminum framed, 4" bull barrel with night sights, rounded corners, slim ambi safety, etc

Want2race beat me to it...holster options are limited for full dust cover guns, but I found that 1911 holsters made for light rail equipped models will do the trick. Also, points to CMV for the woodford in first pic. I'm gonna have to do some updated pics with my ranger and tactical next to whiskey to keep up lol.

How funny. Old Forester is bottled at the Woodford distillery. Basically the same bourbon, from the same barrels, cheaper bottle. The "sweet stuff" goes in the W bottles, the "OK stuff" goes into O.F. bottles. As I was told from someone who worked there.

Good point about the light rail holsters. Especially for a commander length barrel, full dust cover gun. The dust cover will be the same length as a 3/4 rail 5" gun. The STI 5.0 and 4.15 tactical guns use the same frame. If you want leather you are left with using a holster for a 5" gun though. Kydex, well that's easy. "Chop, Cut, Remold" LOL.

I'm w/ JakeMartens above.. If it had to have a full length dust cover,

I would do a Springfield Armory Champion Lightweight Operator..

PX9115LP.jpg

I've actually "Bob-Tailed" a handful of these and they do make a terrific carry option..

Edited by gunfixer

I picked up a Springer LW loaded after carrying a full size Baer and a light weight but govt size springfield loaded. I LOVE the champion with the rail. Its a full size grip, so I can actually handle it, but the barrel doesn't poke me in the thigh when I'm driving. I would love to have it bob tailed at some point, but we shall see about that. Currently, it's 8+1 +p 45 when I'm carrying it, 10+1 of the same ammo with a nice tac light on it at home. The rail is unconventional, but between the crimson trace grips it's rocking and the light it wears at night, it's pretty formidable! :cheers:

I'm w/ JakeMartens above.. If it had to have a full length dust cover,

I would do a Springfield Armory Champion Lightweight Operator..

PX9115LP.jpg

I've actually "Bob-Tailed" a handful of these and they do make a terrific carry option..

Funny you guys sparked my interest on this gun..as I always have felt i should carry a 1911 of some type...since i shoot a 2011 almost weekly. Anyway try to find one!!! No Gunstore in my parts has one and even if they order it they have no idea how long it will take. Jake like you I have thought about the STI VIP because of its capacity but never seen one in person and dont know how well it will conceal and I would figure it would need a going through before i could carry it.

gunfixer, wish they did those in 9mm. My Officers ACP works for me in .45.

JMHO

Richard

PS: Hmmmmm wonder if it's doable?

I agree, that would be cool..!! But...

They DO make the STI Ranger II in .40sw now and THAT is a FABULOUS gun,

albeit heavier than we are discussing.. I've "Bob-Tailed" these as well...

STIRS.jpg

STIRL.jpg

STIRR.jpg

;):ph34r:B):D

Edited by gunfixer