Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spartan 9mm

outerlimits

Might check the diameter at the back of the cases in question, I believe that the 9mm being a tapered cartridge is a bit fatter at the back. I had an open gun once that was originally chambered in 9x21 then was re-chambered to .38 super if I remember right it worked fine but the brass got bulged a bit at the back. I have a casepro so I could roll the bulge back out but might be something to think about.

Maybe it could be reamed to 9x23?

Edited by caspian guy

The base of a 9x19 case is 0.391 and tapers to 0.380. 38 Super is 0.384 at the base and does not taper.

If you reamed a 9x19 barrel to take a 38 super case, it would be a little sloppy at the base resulting in some brass stretch I'd guess. To me, 0.007 does not seem like a lot and may in fact not be.

If you're just loading to minor power factor, it will work fine and you'll probably lose the brass before it wears out. You probably won't feel any difference when sizing the brass for reloading, but if you're loading to major the brass won't last very long and you'll really notice the difference between sizing brass fired in a regular 38 Super chamber and brass fired out of the reamed 9mm chamber.