Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't Do

EricW

If there's one thing in this universe that just chaps me it's certain people's "can't do" bullshit. Ask them a simple question, "What will it take to get from A to B?"

What do you get? 6 billion reasons organized into an obstacle the scale of which makes the Great Wall of China pale by comparison. Every frigging time. That's all you get: a wall of excuses.

"I can't order that from a catalog"

Well no shit. I'm fully aware that what I want doesn't come from a catalog.

"That's not how it's normally done."

I don't want what's normally done. I want what I asked for.

"That's against the rules."

F--- the rules. The rules are created by bureaucratic morons. There's no *technical* reason why what I want is unsound, unworkable, or unsafe.

And on...and on....and on it goes with these mother.....

I guess that's the difference between people. There are those who see challenges and are driven to seek simple solutions. Then there are those who can only find reasons why they should never start.

I know who I like best.

There are those who see challenges and are driven to seek simple solutions.  Then there are those who can only find reasons why they should never start.

I'm striving to be the former when it comes to IPSC rules and your quote above is inspirational. Thanks dude.

AMEN BROTHER ERIC!

When I was on the motivational speaker circuit, I'd invariably have people stand up after the talk and "'splain" to me in no uncertain terms why they *couldn't* do something! They'd spent more time thinking about their excuses why not than it would have taken to do whatever it was they were talking about!

Probably 99% of the stuff I've accomplished in my life was prefaced by a long line of people explaining to me that I couldn't do this or I couldn't do that or (my favorite) that I could/would/should die in the attempt.

To HELL with 'em all!

mb

This reminded me of a VA story that still riles me up.

I'm a junior resident on the ortho service at a VA hospital. We had just finished operating on a vet's elbow fracture. In the post-op orders I write for a sling to be applied prior to discharge. I get a call from the PACU (recovery) nurse.

Hello.

Yes, I see you ordered a sling for Mr. So and So.

Yes.

Well, since he is not enrolled in a primary care clinic, he does not qualify for durable medical goods.

You're kidding.

No I'm not.

Come on! We just operated on his elbow, he needs a sling.

We can't give him one.

Sure you can.

That would be against protocol.

Well, the protocol is retarded, just get the guy a sling.

I can't.

At this point I hang up the phone and tell my scut monkey (4th year medical student dying to get an orthopedic residency position), "Go down to the ER, there is a storage room on the right. Go in the storage room, steal a sling, go to the Recovery room and put it on Mr. So and So. If any one questions what you are doing, tell them to talk to me."

Crap, my blood pressure is going up just thinking about it. :angry:

"There are risks and costs to a program of action, but they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable inaction."

---John F. Kennedy

"They are able because they think they are able."

--Virgil

"Knock the 't' off 'can't'...!"

--George Reeves

John,

People are the same all over. An orthopod I know was working the ER as a Resident when a kid presents with a broken arm. Supply closet was locked.

Need to make a cast. Only staff with a key is at lunch. :angry: Kid in pain until cast applied. Sorry, can't open supply closet until key returns from lunch. :angry::angry: Nice Doctor kick in door.

Kid gets cast. :) Mongo like nice Doctor.