Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

are there any disadvantage using a kydex DOH in IPSC?

Xander

I have build my current skill level using kydex OWB drop-offset holster. I'm now getting serious joining IPSC matches and I was having thought on getting the speed rig from Ghost. But I'm not too familiar with the lock/unlock thing rules. Considering mine is DOH and I feel I'm fast enough on my draws are there really any more advantages on using the speed rig type holster? Any info will be great, tnx :)

IPSC or USPSA? Regardless...

What you really gain by a race holster is the ability to adjust your holster, not that you will adjust your holster often (even though it will be in a slightly different position each time you put it on). But, once you get comfortable with your setup, you can be nearly as fast with either.

I kinda like a stable and secure holster much of the time. And, unlike Steel Challenge, we don't get all that many pure draws in USPSA/IPSC.

Yeah, that is pretty adjustable.

I imagine (I haven't used one of those) that you get all the race holster adjustability? If so, then you are really only looking at a difference of having to pick the gun up out of the holster (about the distance of your barrel length)...versus a full on race holster.

If you are comfortable with where your current DOH is...

My draws are faster from Kydex due to a higher comfort level. I fear bumping the grip of the gun during the draw and watching it hit the ground. It makes my draw more deliberate, thus slower. Kydex forces a better draw for me anyway. "Up, then push out". I was getting lazy with the race holster and making an arc "Up".

That is a nice looking production/ss holster.

I was faster with kydex than CR Speed, and now faster with DAA RaceMaster than kydex.

Comfort factor, as want2race said. I was scared of dropping my gun in a CR Speed, but I feel that the RM is almost more solid than the kydex!

IPSC Production allows for race holsters, unlike USPSA production in case anyone reading this thread did not know!

I've seen Matt Mink and ben Stoeger competes in IPSC World Shoot with a DOH Kydex holster :rolleyes:

Most all of the USPSA production shooters would be using their regular holster. USPSA production is a bit tighter on the holster rules in that regard.