Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Competitiion and Combat

Interestingly, any time I post something about a weapon or tactic as it relates to "real world" or combat applications, I often receive a follow-on post stating something to the effect "how does that apply or have anything to do with our game?"

I usually let such comments slide as I perceive this to be a limiting vision that will preclude one from evolving into a better shooter. I categorically deny or refuse to accept the idea that there is nothing to learn from another discipline or form of shooting that will make you a better marksman.

Click on the video on this embedded page to learn how the United State Marine Corps has embraced 3 Gun competition as a way to enhance a Marines combat effectiveness.

Now for the kicker, when will 3 Gun evolve into a sport where your targets are shooting back at you (Simunition, and yes, they HURT), forcing you to evade, conceal and bring effective fire on a hostile target? I wonder what that will do to competitor times, hits and ultimately, overall score? :sight:

Edited by Roadrider18

Interestingly, any time I post something about a weapon or tactic as it relates to "real world" or combat applications, I often receive a follow-on post stating something to the effect "how does that apply or have anything to do with our game?"

I think you have this backwards and on the wrong forum. Everything we do in 3 gun which is basically speed shooting relates to the real world. I can't think of any time when you would want to shoot slow or less accurately?

This sport evolved to what it is today from Vietnam era combat Shootibg from what I have read. Fortunately most of us don't have to use real world shooting techniques on a daily basis anymore. I highly doubt the sport is going to evolve back to a combat oriented or self defense situation simulation. I mean is there really a real world application for one man clearing 10-15 hostiles from a stage with a shotgun, rifle and a pistol?

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

...... I mean is there really a real world application for one man clearing 10-15 hostiles from a stage with a shotgun, rifle and a pistol?

Sure there is..you could get a role in the new Rambo movie

While early roots may be martial, you can't put anything on a timer and still have it executed in a way that isn't somewhat silly in the real world.

Manipulations, trigger control, target to target transitions, getting quick hits, and performing under stress (competitive stress isn't life or death, but it's stress)-- these are the things that 3 gun and other action shooting sports help with.

Dumping magazines, exposing yourself to multiple adversaries intentionally, not using cover, compensators/muzzle brakes, game guns in general, target order/precedence, and speed as a primary goal are some of the negatives.

Developments, advancements and techniques from each area do feed the other, and as long as you don't treat Shewan like a 3 gun stage, and don't create competitive "habits", action shooting is indeed useful.

Scoring systems to make competition more "real" would be a nightmare, as would stage design and keeping folks interested. So it's probably best to appreciate the differences and what we can learn by competing than to try to make it über realistic.

Rules and stage design that allow a guy to be competitive with realistic equipment and not abandoning smart fighting techniques, though, are appreciated.

I agree with SPQR476 but I'll add that I shoot 3 gun for fun. I seriously doubt I will ever be in a "real life" shooting situation & if I do, it probably won't involve 3 guns at once. I will not shoot 3 gun matches with "creep & peep" rules. If it becomes training for real life, I'm really not interested. I have a job, it gets serious & even life threatening sometimes so I personally don't want to have a "serious" hobby. As a game, for fun, I'll shoot it till I can't carry my own guns or see the targets, I guess.

I've always said, if you wanted a realistic stage for law enforcement, the winner would:

a) Never fire a shot - the paperwork?!?!?!?

B) talk the targets into giving up - preferred method (even-less than-lethal can get you into trouble)

c) write a ticket - more money/for the city or state

How are we going to score this???? :roflol:

Every self defense class I've ever taken says: The best fight is no fight at all!

So, you show up for the stage, there's one target there and the person who runs away quickest, wins. Oh wait, you're not supposed to put yourself in situations where bad guys might be around...so in the real world of home/personal defense, the winner is the person who doesn't show up at all!!!!! :devil:

War is another thing, and the marines are taking on 3-gun as some good training...And yes, JJ does want to find a way to have the stage shoot back (like paintballs) but...it sure won't be exactly the same for every shooter, so...oh wait, that's another thread somewhere! :surprise:

I'm just cranky this morning! :(

Edited by Benelli Chick

I agree with SPQR476 but I'll add that I shoot 3 gun for fun. I seriously doubt I will ever be in a "real life" shooting situation & if I do, it probably won't involve 3 guns at once. I will not shoot 3 gun matches with "creep & peep" rules. If it becomes training for real life, I'm really not interested. I have a job, it gets serious & even life threatening sometimes so I personally don't want to have a "serious" hobby. As a game, for fun, I'll shoot it till I can't carry my own guns or see the targets, I guess.

you mean we are supposed to see the targets? uh-oh.

I've always said, if you wanted a realistic stage for law enforcement, the winner would:

a) Never fire a shot - the paperwork?!?!?!?

B) talk the targets into giving up - preferred method (even-less than-lethal can get you into trouble)

c) write a ticket - more money/for the city or state

How are we going to score this???? :roflol:

The largest amount of $ for the city/state wins!!