Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making Major With 115 JHP in 38 Super

nhglyn

Has anyone built a 38 Super major load for N105 or 4756 using 115 JHP's out of a gun similar to a Brazos Pro Sx? What sort of load did you get and what were the chrono readings?

Or, is there a better powder that will make major, shoot well in 38 Super and, if there is, what loads should I try?

Thanks so much for the help.

Edited by nhglyn

i have a 3 port hybrid, 3 port comp 38 super comp, STI. i used to shoot all kinds of powder, including N105 but never 4756. N105 what a pain cause #1, you need alot of friggen powder to make major with that bullet, with my setup. #2, my OAL were all jacked up cause the compressed powder was pushing out my bullets from the seater die, to the crimp die. #3, it shot nice, but didnt shoot much better than 125's ( 10.3 gr. of n105 or so). Bob at brazos will probably tell you to run 4756 and ONLY 4756. heres what i run now and it shoots GREAT. 10 gr. 3n38 using 125 gr. MG JHP. i dont think you have a true hybrid in your brazos, but its close ( you should have more than a couple holes). see if you can snag a pound of 3n38 locally (or go to powder valley, there always in stock) try it out. i have bumped up 3n38 to run 115's but it gets kinda violent. maybe cause its more compressed. try it at your own risk. happy shooting.

PS, N105 is dang expensive to boot, and cant get it in 4 lb'ers. 3n38 ya can, and its a lil cheaper. good luck.

^^^^^^^Listen to him!^^^^^^^^ I'm at 10.5 no popples with my current lot, but I just got a new shipment in, so we'll see how it runs in a bit....