Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Reloading Device Advice

Remington4Life

I would like to get into reloading on the cheap, mainly to have the ability to do it. But also to load for 3 gun and a little skeet 12 ha. I am thinking a mec Jr or a lee press is the way to go. It would be a bonus if I could load 410 for my judge.

I know nothing about reloading except that you pull a handle and the shell pops out, so any advice is appreciated.

The MEC presses can be found very cheap. I has a Jr that I used for load development but would not want to load more than 1 box on it.

I load on a Dillon SL900 but have also used the Ponsness Warren presses and they made great ammo.

There is a reloading calculator on Trapshooters.com. See here Depending on component costs, you are likely going to end up around $ 5 / box.

You will find that buying the 100 round value packs of the 1.125oz 3dram loads at WalMart is a cheaper way to go. Or at least so close that it does not seem worth the time and aggravation of a single stage press. Now, the quality of reloads you make will likely be better than the promo loads because the shot they use is soft and the plastic for the wads is crap but for your stated purpose, 3 gun and skeet, you will not see any difference.

So unless you just need something to do, and believe me, I understand that need far too well, buy the WalMart stuff.

I was given a hornady 366 and I still can't justify reloading. I really want to but damn shot is too expensive.

Totally agree. I reloaded for just a short while after lead went through the roof and it actually cost me more to reload (not even counting the time it took) than it was to go buy new Remington Heavy Dove at Academy. You can save a lot of $$ with pistol and rifle ammo, but not so much with shotgun.

Unless your sitting on A LOT of powder and A LOT of shot, I can't see getting into shotshell reloading for 12ga or 20ga unless you are a competitive shooter or just love reloading. There is obviously savings to be had with 28 and .410 though..

That being said, anything MEC is great. Obviously the PW and Dillon machines are amazing, but they aren't cheap. I have MEC sizemasters set up for 12, 20, 28, and .410. I have loaded thousands and thousands of rounds on them. My dad has a few MECs that he has had since before I was born, they run like new.

I have to agree with the advice given thus far. I've got 4 hydraulic Mec 9000 loaders (.410, 28, 20, 12). I'm not shooting skeet regularly, but the loaders will only be used for the .410 and 28 ga skeet loads until lead prices drop. The price difference does not justify it.

Now, if you're a high-volume Sporting Clays or Handicap Trap shooter using an O/U or single barrel, it may still be worth it to load premium shot 1 oz loads. When distances increase, shot quality matters more. If you want to shoot a 1 oz load, you get a bit more benefit loading your own over buying the good stuff.

But for Skeet, 3 gun, or general kicking around, it is very, very difficult to beat the "mid-grade" loads from Federal, Winchester, or Remington in 12 or 20 gauge.

It really bums me out because I have spent a whole lot of nice evenings chained to the loader.

I have a MEC jr that I got on craigslist for $60. It works great for me, but I dont shoot a ton of shotgun. As stated before with lead prices the way they are its just dosent make sence to reload shotgun ammo. A case of the estate ammo at sportsmans warehouse is $60, and the send out the $10 off a $50 purchase coupons all the time. So a case for $50 is hard to beat.

I have to agree with the above statements. I am running a MEC Jr. In 20 and 12 and a Sizemaster? In 12, but these are for loading low recoil 3/4 and 24 gram loads ($14/box factory) and black powder ($25+/box factory). Even Remington STS and Winchester AA at Wallyworld are marginal for the reloading cost for what we do. I will spend the extra on the STS & AA's for a big match, and use promo loads for everything else. The WinLite equivalent loads are for my parents Cowboy Action Shooting. It make it more fun for them with the reduced recoil.

• 1 month later...

If you are going to use some of the more goofy hulls, you may consider getting a Sizemaster.. It's a bit more outlay but it comes with a collet sizer and a primer feed and is a pretty good single stage press. I can do about 150-200 shells an hour when I'm really cranking them out. The collet sizer is especially nice if you load for more than 1 shotgun. I think new they are about $200 but you can sometimes find them cheaper.. They are good solid presses.. I have had my 12 gauge sizemaster for over 20 years.. I have three gauges.. 10, 12, and 20. I use the 10 primarily for loading hunting ammo. I haven't shot the 20 much so the 20 ga press has sat idle for a while.