Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mixed head stamps and Chrono Data

cgrivois

How much of a difference can mixed heads stamps make with velocity? I’m getting as much as 50fps difference between highest and lowest velocity out of a 10 shot string. I dial in my powder by throwing 10 charges then get the average. After that I run 20-30 rounds through the press, 550B, and then set up charge for next load to test. I’ve also seen my OAL vary by as much as +- .003, which could be mixed head stamp related to I suppose, so Im guessing I could be getting some variance there as well. Chrono is a Pro Chrono and brand new. Should I take the time and make sure all head stamps are the same when testing loads?

Just plugged the numbers into my spread sheet had SD of 17 on one string 27 on another, and 22 on the last string. Another piece of info, this lot of powder shot on average 5 power factor higher than the last lot did. Shooting n320.

You know, there is little evidence that small SD and accuracy go together.

Then, you are participating in a sport where accuracy is NOT the deciding factor.

Thus, you should be shooting for accuracy and not low SD and be happy with a load that feels right and is more than accurate enough.

Remember, a data of 10 is the minimum for SD. Buy some factory and compare SD and accuracy with your loads.

Keep in mind what your goal is for a load.

I loaded a LOT of different bullets and charge weights, with one set being the same head stamp and the other being very mixed brass.

After a little over 200 of these comparisons, the average group size for mixed was about 0.10" smaller than for matching headstamps.

Don't chase your tail, unless you have a real reason to.

Noylj has it right. I also agrre with the headstamps producing different velocities. I section my brass off by headstamp in old coffe cans now. Once I have a few hundred of one brand ill use thos for a major match.