Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LNL AP Powder Not Dropping Consistent

chb119

So my wife being the wonderful woman she is bought me a LNL AP press for Christmas, I set it up Christmas day and since have not been able to get it drop powder at a consistent weight. In ten drops it can range from 5.0 to 6.0 grains. I have been trying to get it to drop 5.5 grains. I have cleaned the inside and outside dispenser with one shot cleaner and dry lube, and rubbed it with a dryer sheet to remove the static but still is not dropping consistent weights. Any suggestions, Thanks.

Is the baffle installed in the powder tube ? What scale are you using? Are you using the pistol insert? Is the press mounted to a secure/sturdy surface ?

Sometimes it takes 10-20 throws on my LnL to get things settled, how much are you running through it before weighing charges ?

As others have said the pistol insert is the one to use with a throw weight of 5.5 grains.

I assume you also degreased the rotor and metering insert carefully? When cleaning I spray with the One Shot cleaner then run a paper towel through the hole in the rotor and twist it around; this soaks up the excess cleaner and also has a scrubbing effect on anything on the surface of the rotor.

Some report that coating the bottom of the measure WITH GRAPHITE* as well as pieces touched by the powder on the way into the case helps things. I haven't had to take that step but I use finer powders than Unique so it may help you.

As DWFAN mentioned I find a powder baffle helps consistency in the long run as it keeps the amount of powder weighing on the measure opening more consistent as you use up the powder in the measure. I don't think the LNL comes with a baffle (mind didn't anyway) but I think you can use an RCBS baffle. Alternately you can make your own as shown here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/296102_How_to_make_a_powder_measure_baffle.html

The baffle has gotten my consistency to +/- 0.1 grain with the powders I use, but even without it I would expect you to do better than +/- 0.5 grain. That really sounds like the powder is sticking somewhere; I suggest pulling everything apart, spraying with cleaner and rubbing down the surfaces with a paper towel before reassembling.

*-Capitalized because I forgot to include these words initially. Silly me. :rolleyes:

Edited by acekc

My lnl came with a baffel.

I would suggest taking the powder measure off the machine, fill it completely full of powder and run all the powder through it by hand. It will take some time if you do it 5 grains at a time so I would back the meter out so it is throwing a large charge.

This was a suggestion that lee puts in with their plastic powder measure. My powder measure was like yours when I first got it. I tried it and it helped. I also try to keep the measure from running low. I like to keep mine at least 1/4 full.

The measure is fantastic. I use it on my Dillon as well as my LNL AP. Almost always spot on and never more than +/- .1 grain with ball or flake powders.

I had an inconsistency issue when I first started loading a few years back with the measure and discovered I hadn't cleaned it enough. It's literally covered in grease and even cleaning with One Shot Cleaner didn't fully remove the stuff on mine. I found that some powder I was dropping was sticking to the inside of the measure (still) after I had cleaned it, leading to inconsistent drops. I hit it with brake cleaner and it dropped consistently afterwards.

I also had an issue later where I had used One Shot Case Lube on the pistol cases prior to running them through the machine. I had apparently used too much on the case necks, as it accumulated on the bottom of the powder drop funnel and caused enough powder to stick to obstruct the opening.

Your press should have come with the baffle, make sure it is installed correctly if it did.

I agree with others, clean the entire thing very, very thoroughly again. I thought I had mine really clean the first time and then found that powder was still sticking and clogging things up. Once they are really clean they throw really consistent powder charges with most powders.

Make sure that you have it adjusted so that with the press on the full upstroke the meter is just starting to contact the red part of the measure slot that it swings in at the upper end. You want to make sure the meter is getting as vertical as possible each stroke. If it's not making as full as possible of rotation upwards each time it will dump inconsistent powder charges. As the rotor turns watch the meter insert and at the base where it attaches to the rotor it looks like a hex nut. Right there at the nut should be right at touching the upper end of the slot that it rotates in.