Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder questions

Guest justmarie

Guest justmarie

I have finally purchsed my fist .45, a Kimber Eclipse.

I have a Dillon 650. I had been reloading 9mm using Unique and have allot of that power left over that I would like to use up.

My questions are:

Is a 230 or 200 grain bullet preferred? Jacketed or plated?

What load is recommended for Unique to make major (I chronographed 7 grains in a 200 grain bullet and got a power factor of 183. I'd like to bring it down to closer to 170.)

I shot mag tec 230 grain factor and got a 170 power factor. Felt good.

What powder is recommended, used morst frequently, cleaner etc?

I am also getting some inconsitent power measures; I set it to 7 grains and weighed 10 charges adter throwing some away, and got 70.2, then loaded some, but when they were chronographed, there was one or two hot ones, since the spread was high. Not sure how much. What shoud be deviation be when using the chrono? What is acceptable?

Well, thanks for the help.

:unsure:

justmarie,

Get thee to the search feature, there's TONS of 45 load data (most of it resent), though I don't there's ANY for Unique, just too many newer and cleaner powders out there. ;)

A couple to try (there's WAY more):

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13883

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11870

Ed

When I first started to shoot USPSA, I also used Unique. Sorry to say, but I don't remember the load exactly, I want to say 5.0 with a 230 bullet, but that is just a guess. I like a 230gr. plated bullet the best. They are softer to shoot than jacketed, and cleaner than lead.

The biggest piece of advise I can give you is that once you are out of Unique switch to something like Vit N310. It is so much cleaner!! ;)

A cleaner powder with some of Brians Slide Glide means I clean the .45 about every 3 to 5 thousand rounds.

Guest justmarie

Thanks for the replies, and yes, I am searching the forums, too. Nothing like soliciting fresh opinions though.

I shot Mag Tech factory 230 grain and it chronoed at 170. I am trying to duplicate that feel. Having fun trying, and getting into it. too bad the drive to the range is so far (less than a half hour) :)

Keep the comments coming. I thrive on information and controversy.

Love this forum, even though I am not truly an IPSC shooter. BE: maybe one in the making? I am absorbing your book. When are you coming to my club?

justmarie:

I still use 45acp for IPSC. I like 200g bullets for the most part. 185g work well if you want a "snappier" recoil impulse.

I use WW SuperTarget powder, it's clean burning, meters well, isn't temperature sensitive and makes major easily with both lead and jacketed/plated bullets.

Good luck with that new Kimber. ;)

consider using clays, its clean, 3.8 to 4.0 makes major with most 230 lead and plated bullets in my guns. recoil is soft, maybe sluggish to some. the load is accurate and clean. gonna try super target before i really get settled with this clays load. clays doesnt meter as well as ball powders.