Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not Seating the Magazine Properly When Reloading

rhino

Another USPSA match, another serious of screw-ups!

Today's blunders are noteable not because of the nature of the error, but rather by the sheer repetition!

We shot a stage called "Pure Speed" which consisted of four Bill Drills. Since I knew I'd be reloading three times and I generally reload faster with my 8-rd mags than with the 10-rders, I decided to put my 8-rders in my mag carriers.

Now, a bit of background ... a couple of weeks ago, I put new Wilson springs and followers in Shooting Star mag bodies. In the past, this has been a solidly reliable combination for me. Please note that the newer Wilson springs are a LOT stronger than those in the past. Can you see what's coming?

So ... I shoot the first target and call six nice A-hits, so far so good ... the I reload as I shift my attention to target #2.

"Bang!" A!

"Click!"

What's wrong?? D'oh! The mag wasn't seated all the way ... tap, rack bang!

Lost some time ... can still do okay ... fire five more shots ... okay so far ...

Reload again ...

"BANG!"

"CLICK."

Damn it! Did it again! Tap, rack, Bang! Fire five more shots ... lots more time lost, but I'm still alive ...

Reload for the final time ...

"BANG!"

"CLICK!"

ARGH! Not again! Tap, rack, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.

So not only did I do it once, not twice, but three times!

And another kicker ... I was reloading a little too vigorously last year and earlier this year. Frequently the top round would pop into the chamber if I loaded from slide lock, or I'd overinsert the mag and get a death jam. So to avoid the double feeds and overinsertions, I dialed it back a notch and used less force when reloading. That was all well and good ... until I try to reload with super stiff mag springs.

I am a doofus. :blink:

Heh! I let them sit for a couple of weeks loaded!

The ironic thing is, the only weakness Wilson 8-rd mags had in the past was their wimpy springs. Now their springs are super, super strong!

Rhino, hey when you dropped your mags did you bend over, pick them up and jamb them back into the gun? :blink: That's what one of our forum members did on Saturday, even though he had more mags on his belt! :lol:

And if you want to know why I am not posting his name, well.... ummmm.... that's because he still completely kicked my ass, and I wouldn't want him posting all the stupid stuff I did. :( At least I shot clean match yesterday.... :D

If they'd fallen to the ground, I would have ... probably. I was in full-on doofus mode at the time. :wacko: I did a reload in my last IDPA match and dropped the mag on the ground. When I realized what I'd done, I had to grab it and put it in my pocket before I could continue. I had to be "tactical," you know. :rolleyes:

Actually, had they fallen it would have helped because I would have realized what the problem was sooner. :blink: They were almost seated, but not quite enough ...

Man, those must be some stiff, stiff springs. I don't know of anyone who seats a magazine with as much authori-tah as ole Rhino. One of these days I expect that his slide will make an unexpected departure from its frame during an unfortunate reloading incident. :D