Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Tanfoglio for my open gun?

my00wrx1

I have been shooting IPSC production for about 18 months and I am now thinking about getting an open gun in 38 super. My production gun is a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow, which I really like the feel of, however they have few options other than 9mm so I am looking at a Tanfoglio.

The clubs I shoot at have pretty small IPSC contingents and I have only seen 2 Tanfoglio’s, 1 production in 38 and the other a production gun built into an open gun in 9mm. Both felt good and shot well though the grip on the 38 felt a bit bigger than my CZ, though still comfortable.

I’ve hunted around and found some prices on new (pretty scary) and second hand pistols and due to the cost I’m leaning towards the cheaper new or second hand but as this is new to me I’m not sure if I’m getting value for money or what I could be missing and would appreciate some feedback.

I’m still waiting on all the details but this is what I have so far (please note I’m not in the US though these are in US dollars):

1. New Eric Gold Custom GK with full length dust cover, lightened slide, v-12 comp, C-more and 5 mags - $4,500
  2. New Eric Gold Custom HC with full length dust cover, lightened slide, v-12 comp, C-more and 5 mags - $4,200
  3. New Limited Custom HC with full length dust cover, lightened slide and 5 mags - $2,400 add another $1,200 for C-more, mount, comp and barrel – total $3,600
  4. Second hand Eric Gold Custom GK with full length dust cover, lightened slide v-12 comp, C-more and 5 mags plus its been extensively worked over by a gun smith (not sure how much use this one has had) - $3,500
  5. New Eric Gold Custom HC with short dust cover, lightened slide, v-8 comp, C-more and 5 mags - $3,200
  6. Second hand Eric Gold Custom HC with full length dust cover, lightened slide, v-8 comp, C-more and 5 mags (doesn't sound like its had much use) - $2,500

I have been shooting IPSC production for about 18 months and I am now thinking about getting an open gun in 38 super. My production gun is a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow, which I really like the feel of, however they have few options other than 9mm so I am looking at a Tanfoglio.

The clubs I shoot at have pretty small IPSC contingents and I have only seen 2 Tanfoglio's, 1 production in 38 and the other a production gun built into an open gun in 9mm. Both felt good and shot well though the grip on the 38 felt a bit bigger than my CZ, though still comfortable.

I've hunted around and found some prices on new (pretty scary) and second hand pistols and due to the cost I'm leaning towards the cheaper new or second hand but as this is new to me I'm not sure if I'm getting value for money or what I could be missing and would appreciate some feedback.

I'm still waiting on all the details but this is what I have so far (please note I'm not in the US though these are in US dollars):

1. New Eric Gold Custom GK with full length dust cover, lightened slide, v-12 comp, C-more and 5 mags - $4,500
  2. New Eric Gold Custom HC with full length dust cover, lightened slide, v-12 comp, C-more and 5 mags - $4,200
  3. New Limited Custom HC with full length dust cover, lightened slide and 5 mags - $2,400 add another $1,200 for C-more, mount, comp and barrel – total $3,600
  4. Second hand Eric Gold Custom GK with full length dust cover, lightened slide v-12 comp, C-more and 5 mags plus its been extensively worked over by a gun smith (not sure how much use this one has had) - $3,500
  5. New Eric Gold Custom HC with short dust cover, lightened slide, v-8 comp, C-more and 5 mags - $3,200
  6. Second hand Eric Gold Custom HC with full length dust cover, lightened slide, v-8 comp, C-more and 5 mags (doesn't sound like its had much use) - $2,500

Why not try something new and exciting CzeckMate however you spell it the CZ open gun, they sell for about $2800. :devil:

I agree with CocoBolo.

Also, I'm a huge Tanfoglio fan myself, but those Eric Gold's you list above, with all the barrel porting (that's what get's the V-* number up to 8 or 12), are quite punishing too shoot or for an RO to be next to or behind you. The factory comps they have are actually quite small as compared to comps you'll see on many S_I open guns. Going from a fart 9mm production load to a Tanfoglio V-* open gun would be quite a transition.

Good luck

I had considered the czechmate but it's going to cost about $4k here with 5 mags (we are limited to 10 round mags) so I decided to let it pass. Initially I was thinking that I cold use my cz75 mags but I have been told that that the czechmate uses wide body mags and they are not interchangeable.

Its hard not to notice how loud the open guns are, does this just go with territory or can you reduce the noise and still keep a comp?

Edited by my00wrx1

open guns are loud, the degree of loudness and punishing concussive force is dependant upon how the gun is built and powder choice. Holes in the barrel (like the V ports on a Tang) add to the loudness and force.

If you want to be able to use your cz-75 mags, then you are limited to a small frame Tanfoglio, which I'm sure is easier to find in your neck of the woods, just make sure it's a small frame. Here in the US you can only buy a new large frame model (similar to the CZ-TS frame, like the Checkmate).

good luck

What doe the czechmate have over the tanfoglio in 38 super other than the brass (new 9mm is not much cheaper than 38 super here)? Would a tanfoglio in 38 super without a ported barrel be compareable to a czechmate in relation to loudness and recoil?

What doe the czechmate have over the tanfoglio in 38 super other than the brass (new 9mm is not much cheaper than 38 super here)? Would a tanfoglio in 38 super without a ported barrel be compareable to a czechmate in relation to loudness and recoil?

I wish I knew, yes I'd love to try a Czeckmate, it looks good to me. I owned a Gold Team V8 in 38SuperComp, very accurate but a bit heavy for my prefereces. I didn't like the ports in the barrel and the gun didn't fit my hand well so I sold it and went S_I, aka SVI STI. I like 9 major I just shoot the brass once and let it go! I can be as low recoil as 38S if the gun is tuned for it and you get the right load. It actually cost more to shoot but I enjoy my match time more since I'm not spending all that time picking up brass. I have a SP01 Shadow, I had a CZ TS, they were both excellent guns.

A Tanfoglio without a ported barrel but with the same design compensator as the Czechmate would be extremely similar in recoil. I, for one, prefer the ports. The Tanfoglio Gold Custom's slide is lighter than the Czechmate, an advantage in my book. The Czechmate I played with had a better barrel to slide fit than my V12's