Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are clay birds scored as disappearing targets?

kamikaze1a

In a 3 gun match, are clay birds activated by falling poppers scored as a disappearing target? Is USPSA the governing body for 3gun? If so, I found the following;

4.4.1.2 Frangible flying targets will be scored at 10 point value with an

option of 20 point value should the MD choose, and are to be

considered disappeared once they land

Thanks! Wondering though, IF not scored as disappearing (not circle M, so not USPSA rules), the shooter could shoot the poppers and go back and shoot the birds on the ground IF the WSB did not state had to be shot in the air?

Once it hits the ground it breaks. The shooter didn't break it so why should he get credit for it?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Not so much to score the points but to prevent the procedural for FTE. I am thinking that IF it is not scored as disappearing, then it is not disappearing and can be engaged later. Sort of like waiting for a visible swinger to slow down before shooting...

As I recall, there had been a thread about a COF with a disappearing target activated by a pull rope. The shooter completed the COF without pulling the rope and after his last shot (timer stops) but before he unloaded and showed clear, he pulled the rope and avoided the procedural for FTE...

There really is no way to shoot the clay on the ground as most will break on the ground some may not. It would not work if one guys target broke and the others didnt. In USPSA they are disappearing. In other outlaw matches, they disappear but there is no such thing as a disappearing target so if you dont hit them you adding quite a bit of time. In USPSA, they are like any other disappearing target. They may or may not be at an advantage to take them as and just like pistol disappearing targets no penalty for not shooting at them. If it is a pretty short COF with a fairly high HF and the disappearing targets require a reload to take them or no reload if you dont, there may not be much advantage to attempting them. In outlaw matches, if they arnt broke you are severly penalized so it is in you best interest to take them. It pretty much eliminates the gaming of the stage to save a reload

The thing is, at a recent match, two clays tossed by popper were not scored as disappearing. Shooter shot all the poppers and steel passing on the clays. Shooter got two procedural/FTE and two mikes for the clays. If the shooter had not been been penalized for FTE, shooter would have won the stage even with the mikes.

The thing is, at a recent match, two clays tossed by popper were not scored as disappearing. Shooter shot all the poppers and steel passing on the clays. Shooter got two procedural/FTE and two mikes for the clays. If the shooter had not been been penalized for FTE, shooter would have won the stage even with the mikes.

It's too late if he signed the score sheet. :lol:

It's too late if he signed the score sheet. :lol:

Not trying to change the outcome but just for future reference. Small, local club so no big bucks at stake...

And actually, I questioned the RO at the time if that shouldn't be scored as a disappearing target but was told no...

I am not a fan of the flippers or disappearing targets. I the Outlaw scoring, if they put alot of them out there it can have a large impact on the score if they are missed gun hangs up etc. In USPSA, it is way too easy to simply pass them up especially if a reload will be involved. If say the hit factor is 5, and you need to load and shoot 2 shots to shoot them and have to hit them or your really in trouble. At that HF it just isnt worth it usually to try them.