Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rescomp Mags

Robert King

I was hoping to get a couple tuned rescomp mags in 40 s&w, to take advantage of the higher capacity I have read about. Does anyone know who, if anyone, is selling them tuned and ready to go. Not just tubes, but complete mags? I want them for a STI Eagle and a Predator Tactical Scabard.

I use untunned Rescomp bodies, Bolens 3mm basepad and grams spring and follower. Its 21+1 startable 20 reloadable.

I couldnt get the bolens follower not to flip and turn it into a salt shaker, but it was 21 reloadable but not 22 startable with the bolens spring and follower when it worked.

Hello: Just to let you know that the mags are soft and will not hold there shape for very long. The feed lips spread apart and cause feeding problems. I would just get some STI mags and be happy with 19 rounds reloadable and reliable. Most stages now are more single stack friendly so there is a place to reload. If you get a Rescomp mag use it only for 22 round stages with no steel :cheers: I would rather have a mag that works all the time and not let you down than one that may work :surprise: Thanks, Eric

Hello: Just to let you know that the mags are soft and will not hold there shape for very long. The feed lips spread apart and cause feeding problems. I would just get some STI mags and be happy with 19 rounds reloadable and reliable. Most stages now are more single stack friendly so there is a place to reload. If you get a Rescomp mag use it only for 22 round stages with no steel :cheers: I would rather have a mag that works all the time and not let you down than one that may work :surprise: Thanks, Eric

Hell0 Eric - That is some very good advise. I run the Dawson followers in 40 because I found them to be the most reliable. Grams are good but the Dawson is just bullet proof. When shooting Limited I plan 16 shots max, except on 32 round stages I'll plan maybe 18 depending on the course, and always pony up. Guy will spend a fortune on a tuned mag to get one more round come to the line and not pony up, go figure.

I agree somewhat with what Eric said. When you feel the mag it is obvious that they will not be as durable as STI or SVI mags. However, I took a stock Rescomp tube, added a Bolen 3mm basepad, bolen spring , and bolen follower for a 22 rd start mag that runs just fine. It is also easily reloadable with 21. I don't run this mag often as it gets princess status due to the above concerns, but it is very reliable and nice to have when the situation calls for it.

Edited by smokshwn

Hello: Craig I never knew you had a princess, I understand why you where a kilt now :roflol: I have STI mags that hold a reloadable 20 rounds and a SVI that holds a reloadable 21. I have never had to use them yet since I figure I will have to reload some place even if it is after only 10 rounds. Make a plan for the stage and you can get by with 18-19 round mags easily. STI mags Grams guts and a Grams 4mm or Dawson "SNL" base pad will get you 19 rounds reloadable but check the gauge to make sure it fits. If not grind the back of the feed lips till it does. If you feel you need a Princess mag just get one Rescomp tube and wrap it with lace :devil: Thanks, Eric

Eric,

Can't argue with any of what you said. To be honest now that I pretty much only shoot 3 Gun there is absolutely no need for it and i can only think of a couple of stages where it was a nice to have . Either way it always did make me feel pretty :ph34r:

I have read about them being more fragile and don't plan on using as every stage mags, but if I can get a 22 round mag, it seemed worth having for when the occasion presents itself. I am probably going to use the Superior Tuned Mags from Shooters Connection, for my everyday mags. Shooters Connection is a sponsor and stock them. I have read good reviews on the Superior Tuned, so it is worth a try. I called Dawson, but they are at least 2 weeks out on tuned mags and they cost more.

I have a Rescomp mag I've had good success with. I'd be willing to sell it if you want it. I'm getting out of Limited altogether. It's got a Bolen 3mm basepad, and a Bolen spring & follower in it. I've always gotten 22+1 with no problems. Never had the follower roll over on me. The feed lips are in great shape, and like previously mentioned, I don't use it all the time. In fact it's only been used maybe 10-20 times. Any interest?

Edited by Chris Keen

I have a Rescomp mag I've had good success with. I'd be willing to sell it if you want it. I'm getting out of Limited altogether. It's got a Bolen 3mm basepad, and a Bolen spring & follower in it. I've always gotten 22+1 with no problems. Never had the follower roll over on me. The feed lips are in great shape, and like previously mentioned, I don't use it all the time. In fact it's only been used maybe 10-20 times. Any interest?

Sent you a PM.

I had an issue with my major gun this year, just two days before Nationals. I was forced to shoot it in minor with an XDm 5.25. I had some extended basepads sent to me for the match and was able to go 24+1 with it. Since I was shooting minor, I was looking for every advantage I could find to make up for the scoring difference. Having 24+1 was an advantage on three stages, if I remember correctly. I figured having the 22+1 option will come in handy from time to time. Plus, I usually don't go one for one on every target, so even on a 18, 19 or 20 round stage, having 22+1 will help me at my skill level.

• 1 month later...