Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difference between Cape magwells

mshotwell

I use a Cape Magwell on my Open gun. The difference between the two is the IPSC box; the one fits the other doesn't. Your hand does have more space, but the Cape Magwell also has a very pronounced ridge which can dig into your palm. It takes getting used to. If you have the chance try one out first.

I use a Cape Magwell on my Open gun. The difference between the two is the IPSC box; the one fits the other doesn't. Your hand does have more space, but the Cape Magwell also has a very pronounced ridge which can dig into your palm. It takes getting used to. If you have the chance try one out first.

Do you have the big one on yours? I don't have to worry about the IPSC box. I'll just be shooting USPSA limited.

Thanks

Yes, although it is a consideration if you want to shoot IPSC Standard, say at the next world shoot in Florida. I use the large magwell, as I shoot Open.

I have included some pics to show you what I mean by the ridge. In the first pic you can see that my palm covers part of the magwell. In the third pic this is clearly visible. In the fourth pic you can see the ridge I am talking about. It isn't a big deal because you get used to it, but you are very aware of the ridge at first.

post-33779-0-35219400-1323310894_thumb.j

post-33779-0-35717600-1323310908_thumb.j

post-33779-0-69632900-1323310922_thumb.j

post-33779-0-23894500-1323310938_thumb.j

Yes, although it is a consideration if you want to shoot IPSC Standard, say at the next world shoot in Florida. I use the large magwell, as I shoot Open.

I have included some pics to show you what I mean by the ridge. In the first pic you can see that my palm covers part of the magwell. In the third pic this is clearly visible. In the fourth pic you can see the ridge I am talking about. It isn't a big deal because you get used to it, but you are very aware of the ridge at first.

Thanks the pictures help alot. Can you compare it to the Dawson Ice? I have a Dawson I wonder how bigger the Cape is?

I recently did a write up on the Cameron magwell and compared it to both the Cape and the Dawson. I took some pics that might help you out. The large Cape I had been using and used in the pics they don't make any more but it is the same magwell just witht he sides cut down more.

Cameron magwell link

Neal in AZ

Hello: Read what Neal wrote up. I have large hands, Neal's hands are huge. The Dawson magwell forces the hand up to the trigger guard and pushes my strong hand out at the bottom. I did not like the feel of the Cape or the look. The stock STI works well for large hands but the Cameron works even better. The large hand Dawson is not big enough either. I think having more contact with the grip with your strong hand helps your shooting. I know it has for me. If you get a chance I would look around and see if you can find the different magwells on other peoples pistols and ask them how they like the them. Thanks, Eric

First of all thanks for everyones help. I don't think I've ever seen anything but Dawson ICE and STI magwell. Most shooter either shoot production or SS. I went ahead an ordered the Cape super magwell. I'll sale the Dawson when the new one arrives.

I was planning on buy an Albert Pujols jersey this year, I'll use that cash.

Thanks