Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited or Production

MrWesson

I shoot a XD 9mm service and I have been competing in limited the past couple matches knowing that I am at a disadvantage shooting minor. I have enough mags to shoot limited(6) but question my ability to make constant mag changes.

I'm not sure if I should spend time in limited to learn the ropes a bit more before throwing tons of mag changes in the mix or start building my skills as much as possible now by jumping into production.

The basic question is which class would you recommend for a beginner in the sport but a good shooter?

Edited by MrWesson

Jump into production and slow down to build mag changes. You will get faster as your body mechanics and muscle memory develop. Don't think you have to have a 1/4 second mag change today or the world will end. I would shoot production anyway, with 9mm.

Reloading skill and speed is important. However, there are lots of other things that you can be doing while you are reloading. Other than classifiers, there are very few times that a smoking fast reload will make or break a stage. That is not to say that a fast reload is not important, but I feel that people put way too much emphasis on a super fast reload when a nice smooth "regular speed" one will do. I say start hosing in production. Reloading is fun! B)

I started in production and worked up to Limited 10 I did change guns though. I will attach a link below I use to practice reloads and target acquisition, as always ensure you have no loaded mags or ammo in the room i do this for about 20minutes a couple times a day and is user friendly as well. Speed will come and so will all the rules and such I have only shot 6 matches and have learned tons about the classes and rules.

http://www.predatortactical.com/uploads/media/Flashfiles/drawbeepSlider082504.swf

Practice you mag changes at home. No ammo needed. Shoot production with the others in the same situation as you. You will enjoy the game more knowing your one a equal footing equipment wise with the others in the same class as you.

I'll go against the grain here in my recomendation I guess.... I'd say, evaluate your motivation and interest in the sport first - that is, what are you looking to get out of the sport? Then, examine the rules and see if one or the other division aligns with your interest better. Third, I would recommend you take a look at your equipment and gear and consider what additional equipment, if any, you need to shoot the division that best aligns with your interests. The goal is that you hopefully make an informed decision about the divison you choose and you base your decision upon your motivation to shoot, rules restrictions, equipment and budget.... in that order.

For me I like to tinker with the guns and ammo, I like less restrictions on what gear I wear and how I shoot and I wanted to shoot what I perceived to be a higher end piece of equipment. I also liked the idea of not having to figure out where to do more reloads but I do like the advantage of major power factor in the game. The sport is less about winning for me, and more about having fun shooting the way I want to shoot. So, for me, the decision was very easy, go Limited to start. In very short order following that, i decided I wanted to shoot open as well... so, I talked to a gunsmith and placed an order about 5 months after shooting limited.

Good luck,

I'm a new USPSA shooter and have been pondering the same thing as well. For now, I'm thinking that I'm going to keep my G34 in Production, and when the time comes I'll probably make the jump to Limited with a 1911 of some sort.

Loosely related, I have another newbie question--is my G34 a "Limited" gun if I have 17-round mags that are only loaded with 10 rounds?

I think Production is the perfect place for guys new to the sport to start off in. You have to get your mag changes down pat and focus on stage breakdown. Plus there isnt an equipment race in Production like in Limited or Open.

You can use a G34 in Limited with the stock 17 rnd mags fully loaded, but will be at a slight disadvantage with minor scoring and less capacity than the STI/SV guns which hold 20/21+1.