Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difference from 45 to 9 in SS

mikev49

So I shot have alway wanted to shoot a USPSA match with my steel gun (1911 9mm) but was alway afraid it would effect my score too much. Well last week I said screw it, Im not gonna win anyway so why not. I shot the Blackwater match with my 9 and finished right where I figured I would. Then yesterday I shot another match with my .45 and thought I might share my results. The same guy finished first in both matches and the differences in our times were about the same per stage based on size of the stage. At the first match, where I was shooting 9, I finished at 52% of the winners score. Yesterday I finished at 63%. That doesn't sound that great but I am a C shooter and the guy who won is a GM . So basically for me that means that since I am not the most accurate shooter there is a 10% increase in my score just from shooting major instead of minor and the 2 extra rounds don't mean a thing.

Mike, thanks for sharing your observations. I am OCD about trying to analyze things like this in our 'game'. Even though your sample set is tiny it does provide some information. The 'overthinker' in me loves even that small tidbit. However, I have to keep reminding myself that it's the Indian and not the Arrow. An interesting side note, I once read that Rob Leatham had score keepers run his scores both Major and Minor at a few of the MANY SingleStack championships he won. I believe that they found that a few of them he would have won either way when they ran the scores. I guess that just confirms the Indian vs Arrow thing. Thanks again for sharing,

Cheers623

DVC

the stage can make a big difference as well. If it is basically set up for 8 rounds with little steel its not much of an advantage. If it is set up basically for 10 rounds it can make the stage planning much easier, with fewer reloads. It also gives you a little extra cushion on steel. For me at least, I found I shoot the minor gun more accurate and faster than I did with the major

There's no doubt in my mind that shooting major is a serious advantage in the divisions in which it is allowed. I really do enjoy shooting my 9mm 1911, though.

Considering some amazong soul finished 3rd in the Single Stack Nationals with a minor gun, it can be done.

I still shoot my .45 quite a bit but I love the little 9mm. It's so soft shooting and those two extra rounds do pay off quite a bit sometimes.

I'm a c class shooter like you, but I've beaten plenty of people with my 9mm 1911 now that I've got it running perfectly. It's definitely not competitive at the highest levels, but if you enjoy it, don't let anyone talk you out of it.

I wouldn't shoot 9mm single stack at a major match, but I do it at local matches all the time. I just shot it today, in fact.

Is there any reason why you couldn't run 10 round mags with your single stack .45? Excuse my ignorance if it's a simple answer, but I'm not a competitive shooter - maybe someday soon though, and I know Tripp makes some greats mags, including 10 rounders for .45

Is there any reason why you couldn't run 10 round mags with your single stack .45? Excuse my ignorance if it's a simple answer, but I'm not a competitive shooter - maybe someday soon though, and I know Tripp makes some greats mags, including 10 rounders for .45

You're limited to stock length magazines in Single Stack Div. The .45 10 rounders are extended mags therefore they aren't legal in the division.

You're limited to stock length magazines in Single Stack Div. The .45 10 rounders are extended mags therefore they aren't legal in the division.

Well--sort of. The pistol with a magazine inserted must fit in "the box". 10 rd 45 mags won't fit. There is no rule

in Single Stack Division that limits you to "stock length magazines". There is a rule limiting you to 8 rds in the

magazine for major, 10 rds for minor.

Well--sort of. The pistol with a magazine inserted must fit in "the box". 10 rd 45 mags won't fit. There is no rule

in Single Stack Division that limits you to "stock length magazines". There is a rule limiting you to 8 rds in the

Good to know and thanks for the information...so I could definitely run my Ranger II (.45) in SS with the 8 round mags! I just need a few more of them... :surprise:

Good to know and thanks for the information...so I could definitely run my Ranger II (.45) in SS with the 8 round mags! I just need a few more of them... :surprise:

Yup. You can't have a bull barrel over 4.20" long, but your Ranger II at 4.15" is good to go!