Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why not Win 231?

shotslow

:surprise: I found I was low on Trail Boss. Got to order move. So checking my supply of Win 231, a sub for if I run out of Trail Boss, I found it was low too. :goof:

I use Win 231 for 38 special, 40 S&W, 45 Schofield, 45 acp, and 45 Colt. Is there another power as versatile as Win 231? I'm open to suggestions. Don't mention TiteGroup. Got it, use it a lot, but don't like it for lead. :D

So, is there something better than Win 231? Why? ;)

I've used 231 for years just for convience 38spl,45acp is all I load..my son loads 9mm for me and that's all he is using.. I don't see how dirty it is,because I use to load Red dot and Bullseye..

Anyone use bullseye?

I find you get alot for your money for target loads, alot of load info, availability and its accurate for me using cast lead. It does runs a little dirty though.

231 is versatile indeed and because it has been around so long, it is easy to find load information. I use a lot of 231 for 9, 40, 357, and 45 acp. When I'm looking for a slower powder, I usually go to WSF or Unique--both of which are versatile (I especially like WSF in the 40) and they generally offer a little more velocity at a lower pressure.

Even though this is the 44/45 Forum I am going to ask a question about 38 Special. Does anyone use or know of any reciepe using WSF in a 38 special? :wacko: I haven't been able to find any.

I will probably order a pound of WSF or AA #5 when I make my order.

The candidates to replace Win 231 are AA #5 and WSF. :sight: I have some AA #7 for 357 SIG and it meters well and is excellent for that caliber. It also works for a 9mm 147 grain molly and 124 grain FMJ. The reloading manuals give a lot of loads using AA #5 for 9mm, 38 special, 40 S&W, 45 acp, 45 Schofield and 45 Colt. Whatever I get, absolutely must work with 40 S&W, 45 acp, 45 Schofield and 45 Colt.

shotslow, I've wondered the same re: WSF & 357 mag. I've never seen published data, but with a burn rate not too far from Unique, it is hard to see why it wouldn't work in the 38. You might try a new post with your question in the 9/38 subforum.

• 4 weeks later...

I've used 231 for years just for convience 38spl,45acp is all I load..my son loads 9mm for me and that's all he is using.. I don't see how dirty it is,because I use to load Red dot and Bullseye..

Anyone use bullseye?

I find you get alot for your money for target loads, alot of load info, availability and its accurate for me using cast lead. It does runs a little dirty though.

I'm, using bullseye with 200 grain swc, light load that barely makes major at 166, but it;s as soft as some of the 9mm I shoot. Going to take it up .2 just to make sure its always in major pf.

Edited by evild

I have ordered 2 lbs if AA #5. Just to try it out. :rolleyes: I cowboy shoot so for 45 colt, 45 schofield and 38 special I mainly use Trail Boss. This thread was posted in the 44/45 forum because it is the 45 acp that is a concern. I am sticking with Win 231. Gotta stay with what works. :roflol: